TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Why would my theory not work? (Interesting read)

I've been lifting a long time and have tried so many different diets. The way I got to my avi was by cutting the hard way (sustained deficit with cardio over a long period of time). That was when I was 27/28, now at 31 I'm finding that I can't sustain that effort simply because I have too much free time and I think about food too much. I don't have patience for a slow cut and I have too much free time to do a PSMF (works best when busy) so I thought, why not recomp? I only need to lose 8-10 pounds. This would make dieting relatively effortless.

Traditional recomp strategies tell people to eat at maintenance or do a +20/-20 every other day diet. But I have another method that I believe will work. I searched all over the internet and nobody has any claims that this doesn't work - it's just people regurgitating that recomps are slow, can't bulk on one day and cut on the next, etc, but I'm going to explain all of it below.

Keep in mind - muscle recovery time is variable, and depends upon training frequency as well as intensity and volume. The routine I plan to use for this is low intensity, low volume, full body, high frequency. I think I can manage full recovery within 24-36 hours. My maintenance with lifting is roughly 2000 calories. Without lifting I'd say 1900 calories. I've measured this for years on my apple watch. Note that on each day my protein would be 1g/lb of LBM at minimum. Furthermore, I weigh all food to the gram so I can actually be as precise as I preach below.

Day 1: Fast all day, and work out in the evening (around 3-4PM). After my workout, get all my calories in for the day (1300 calories which is a 700 deficit). This would be my cutting day, but I believe it is possible to gain muscle, which I will explain at the end.

Day 2: Eat all day with the intention of bulking (2200 calories which is a 300 surplus). No exercise this day.

Repeat indefinitely

So the theory behind this is as follows:

Day 1 - All day until and including my workout, I would be in a fat burning stage. Postworkout, I'd have a massive meal which would have to put me in an anabolic state. I believe the body is not intelligent enough to say "well Tugofpeace is below maintenance today so he won't be able to synthesize any muscle". I would be recovering from 6PM (postworkout) onwards through the night. Think of this as +12 hours of recovery until the morning.

Day 2 - All day, I'm eating bulking calories. Because I'm well fed, my body will continue to recover and synthesize muscle tissue. Consider another 12 hours from 6AM to 6PM of recovery. Then, consider 6PM to sometime in the night of continued recovery. I would be putting muscle on this entire time, but somewhere in the night my surplus would stop. So then we continue into Day 1 and I start burning fat. My total recovery time until I start to lose fat would be between 24-36 hours which, by theory, is when most muscle building occurs.

The interesting thing about all of this is that you may be thinking that I am trying to lose 700 calories of fat on a workout day and gain 300 calories of muscle on recovery days which would yield 9800 calories of fat loss (2.8lbs) and 4200 calories of muscle gain (1.2lbs) over a month. The caveat to this is that I don't believe it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound of muscle; there are theories that it only takes 2000 calories or so. Taking that into consideration, this would change my monthly stats to 2.8lbs of fat loss and 2.1lbs of muscle gain. However, I know what you're thinking - the body isn't perfectly efficient. That 2.8lbs of fat loss may only be 2.6lbs, and that muscle gain may only be 1.9lbs.

Do you guys think this would work? Over a 3 month period that would result in 7.8lbs of fat loss and 5.7lbs of muscle gain. So think of it as 8lbs of fat loss and 6lbs of muscle gain.
    Last edited by TugOfPeace; 01-22-2020 at 09:20 PM.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why the hell would you be trying to cut when you’re that light?
    The power of carbs compels me!

TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TugOfPeace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Why the hell would you be trying to cut when you’re that light?
    At extremely low bodyfat (when you can nearly see feathers on your lower back), everyone will be really light. For all intents and purposes just pretend I'm a 200lbs guy asking this question.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TugOfPeace View Post
    At extremely low bodyfat (when you can nearly see feathers on your lower back), everyone will be really light. For all intents and purposes just pretend I'm a 200lbs guy asking this question.
    You want me to pretend someone who is 140lb is actually 200lb?

Before you edited your post, you said you got to <130... wtf?

No thanks...

Sorry but if you were

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    You want me to pretend someone who is 140lb is actually 200lb?

Before you edited your post, you said you got to <130... wtf?

No thanks...

Sorry but if you were
    You're 6'0'' 138lbs. The only thing I want is for you to pretend this thread doesn't exist and to go post elsewhere.

My weight has no relevance to the question which is why I removed it from my post.

You're 6'0'' 138lbs. The only thing I want is for you to pretend this thread doesn't exist and to go post elsewhere.

My weight has no relevance to the question which is why I removed it from my post.
    Yeah, I’m in recovery from an eating disorder and I’ve gained 12 pounds in the last 3-4 months because I know I need to bulk. I’m hardly someone you want to use as a standard... I’m eating ~3500 calories on average, not 1900-2200 like yourself.

Maybe someone else will entertaining you, because I won’t.

XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XinXom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is zero benefit from anything I have ever read to intentionally skipping meals. If doing this better lets you keep to your goals its fine as calories are king but if your looking for optimal results stimulating muscle protein synthesis as many times as possible is ideal. IE if I compared what your intending with someone who just ate at 1750 every day stimulating MPS 4 times a day I would expect the person who did that to have slightly more muscle growth and slightly more fat loss ending at the same weight in the same time frame. So yes if this is more sustainable for you for whatever reason its no that bad however simply eating 3-4 meals a day at 400-600 calories each containing sufficient protein to fully trigger MPS would be optimal.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Your body smooths out wrinkles in your intake because (for example) glycogen stores are larger than you might think. And fat stores are practically unlimited.

Also muscle repair and hyperophy lasts longer than 24 hours. It's not an on-off switch, more like a natural decay curve.

I predict your scheme would work no better than someone running a 400 calorie deficit every day.

After a time, your glycogen stores would reduce to a point where metabolic signalling turns off muscle growth. So you are simply dieting at a deficit of 400 cals.

rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) rjoylo2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree that if it will help keep you on track try it. I like switching things up too from time to time. Keeps life interesting. I've tried pretty much all the eating strategies except Keto.
    The three D's - Desire, Determination and Dedication!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    IlThe caveat to this is that I don't believe it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound of muscle; there are theories that it only takes 2000 calories or so.
    That's just the energy required to build the muscle. It would be on top of the substrate that forms the muscle tissue. Both have a calorie count associated.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is no on off switch for muscle gain/fatloss. You pick one or the other and stay consistent with your goal with the proper calorie amount consistently and proper training. Trying to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is a exercise in futility with very little to no progress in either direction. What you describe is a waste of time.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Many problems with this approach. Having more calories before and after your workout would be a better plan. Fasting is counterproductive for muscle growth, it will only make recomping harder.