Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shaving razors

AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlBHappy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yesterday, I finally tried out the safety razor. I did 2 passes and only nick was the last stroke on my neck.

I get the hype, the shave is SO unbelievably close. Yes it's time consuming, but you have to treat yourself right sometimes.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GrouchyUSMC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll never look back.

eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eomrat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 7Seconds View Post
    Harry’s seems like a lot of marketing and not a lot of good shaves.

When traveling I use the Fusion ProGlide and SkinGuard. Both on the Fusion Power FlexBall handle. Best cartridge ever.

At home it’s all about the wet shavers. Use double/single edge safety razors, old school like your grandpa. They are very beneficial to skin and wallet. 100 blades, good for 3-5 shaves each, can cost around $15. When compared with cartridges, it's a no-brainer. Less convenient than cartridges, however, and can often lead to acquisition disorders involving hardware and/or soaps and creams.
    How long did it take you to become skilled at the old school safety razors?
    "I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shytheads"
    - COL Charles Beckwith

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
    -Thomas Jefferson

7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 7Seconds has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    How long did it take you to become skilled at the old school safety razors?
    It took me at least 6 months to get as fast and as efficient as I was with my fusion. Shaving every day helped.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jreacher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm going to give the unpopular opinion that cheap safety DE razors aren't significantly worse than the big names. Apparently the cheap Baili TTO on Amazon is the same as the Viking Chieftain according to some folks.

I've been wet shaving for about 15 years and have owned numerous Merkers and Muhles along with a handful of cheaper brands. After I found the right blade for me, the biggest factor in my shaving enjoyment and comfort was probably the blade gap and holding the razor correctly and not using too much pressure, more than the razor being made of a certain material or having a long handle. I haven't owned any of the true classic ones that predate my birth, and some people swear by those more than all modern razors.

I'm also a huge fan of Cremo, but a boar brush and a puck are fine too. I never felt the need to go badger after I perfected my lather technique.