xchrisdag is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thoracic herniation t-6/7 and 7/8 at 24

Hi guys, so I'm going to make this as short as possible. My whole life I have been very active, played sports like lacrosse, basketball and football. Favorite activities are hiking and snowboarding. Always was in the gym.

During freshmen year of college I started getting pains in my chest, thought it was from being at a desk all day. Wasn't in the gym as often due to getting my ass kicked at school and becoming lazy.

Pain eventually went away and when I entered sophomore year I started lifting regularly again. Went strong, gained alot of weight (pretty much all muscle) and hit all my prs. Then senior year I started experiencing the chest pains again, but continued to lift. Until one day it was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

Went to multiple doctors that all told me different things like chostrocondritis, and pec tear. Doctor told me to rest for a couple months and I should be good. Listened to him, starting working full time. Been almost two years since I been in the gym and now the pain has raddiated towards the back.

Finally got an MRI and found out I have a slight herniation at the t6/7 and 7/8. From the report "there is normal alignment and vertebral stature in the thoracic spine. Marrow signal intensity normal for age. Thoracic spinal cord caliber and signal intensity appear normal. Axial images obtained throughout the thoracic spine reveal a small Central and left paracentral disc herniation at the T-6/7 touching the central cord but not displacing. There is a small herniation at T7/8 just to the right of the midline touching the right side of the cord but not displacing it."

My question is has anyone ever recovered from something like this? Been going to PT for the past 6 months which seemed to lower pain a little but not enough to the point where I feel comfortable going back to the gym.

Im scheduled to have a epidural injection in a week or two. I'm just worried I'll never be able to gym or enjoy my hobbies especially snowboarding. Any insight would be appreciated because I know thoracic herniations are rare,.especially at my age which is 24

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would recommend the book "back mechanic" by stuart mcgill. His reputation is that of the worlds best back physical therapist. And yes, people have recovered from herniated discs to 100% pain free.

xchrisdag is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    I would recommend the book "back mechanic" by stuart mcgill. His reputation is that of the worlds best back physical therapist. And yes, people have recovered from herniated discs to 100% pain free.
    Thanks I'll take a look, found a copy online actually. Hoping to get this all worked out ASAP.