Benson1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Minimalist push pull routine for novice

So Im totally out of shape and looking for a decent strength routine, I'm 5 10 and weigh 240lbs. I'm really doing this for my own benefit/enjoyment along with looking to lose weight and gain some muscle.

Ive done a lot of reading on routines, full body, upper lower, push pull, push pull legs and bro splits etc...i will say off the bat full body is not for me, I have dabbled with it before years ago and didn't enjoy it, id find a split of some kind more enjoyable and feel id stick to it better.

Im looking for a routine that is the best use of my time, I don't want to be in the gym for long periods of time, I don't mind working hard or often though, so i think a minimalist approach might suit me better.

I'll also add I workout from home, my set up is a full power rack with an full Olympic weight set, resistance bands of varying strength and dumbbells, so that is what I'm working with.

I was thinking a push pull would be a happy medium, for example:

Push
    Squat/Bench Press/Overhead Press/Triceps

Pull
    Pull ups/Rows/RDL/biceps

Id do this on a 4 day a week split, say Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday with Wednesday and weekends off.

with sets and reps of 3 - 5-8 reps on the big lifts.

Any thoughts?

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn’t say that routine is the best use of your time, but you have a lot of personal preferences so if that works for you, go for it. The progression scheme will be more important for how useful it is.

At your weight, I think some cardio would be good and your diet (cal deficit) will be the most important part of your routine, and should be your main focus.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    3x full body IS minimalist. I don't understand how 3 days a week won't keep you motivated but 4 days would?

If you did 3x you would still be in and out in less than 60 minutes. And you can still do small things / accessories on the "off days."

How are you going to fit PPL into a 4 day schedule?

I would suggest a U/L over PPL in a 4 day / week slot. And 3x FB over both of those.

BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BromanianDL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The program you have picked is an excellent, well-balanced program. If you have lousy results, it is not the fault of the program.

Benson1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Would a full body twice a week be as effective as the push pull 4x a week?

Id still be hitting each muscle group twice a week...

WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Benson1990 View Post
    So Im totally out of shape and looking for a decent strength routine, I'm 5 10 and weigh 240lbs. I'm really doing this for my own benefit/enjoyment along with looking to lose weight and gain some muscle.

Ive done a lot of reading on routines, full body, upper lower, push pull, push pull legs and bro splits etc...i will say off the bat full body is not for me, I have dabbled with it before years ago and didn't enjoy it, id find a split of some kind more enjoyable and feel id stick to it better.

Im looking for a routine that is the best use of my time, I don't want to be in the gym for long periods of time, I don't mind working hard or often though, so i think a minimalist approach might suit me better.

I'll also add I workout from home, my set up is a full power rack with an full Olympic weight set, resistance bands of varying strength and dumbbells, so that is what I'm working with.

I was thinking a push pull would be a happy medium, for example:

Push
    Squat/Bench Press/Overhead Press/Triceps

Pull
    Pull ups/Rows/RDL/biceps

Id do this on a 4 day a week split, say Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday with Wednesday and weekends off.

with sets and reps of 3 - 5-8 reps on the big lifts.

Any thoughts?
    Call it beginner gains or whatever you want. But I went from 137 to 175, no noticeable body fat, and lot's of muscle, using a similar routine.

I did Push / Pull / Push / Pull / Push / Pull / Push. Hit every muscle 3x a week.

Push Days: OHP, Bench, Heavy Weighted Dips, Light Weighted Dips, Diamond Push Ups, and Cable Presses.
    Pull Days: Weighted Pull Ups, Lat Pulls, Rows, Curls, Deadlifts, and Squats.

I gained serious muscle from doing this and hitting everything 3x per week. I actually developed a very similar build when I was in Basic Training years ago, with the exception using the weighted version of dips and pull ups, I gained a ton more mass in those areas.

The only difference is I swapped Squats to Pull day for the reason being is I hit my legs hard with Deadlifts also and it didn't leave enough room for recovery hitting legs 1 day after another 6x per week.

Honestly, from personal experience, when your starting out, it works GREAT, GREAT and muscles respond well to the 3x per week. After a while though, after increasing your lifts and working yourself into the HEAVY LIFTING range, your gains will slow, and you will have problems hitting each group 3x per week.