Accurate13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not gaining weight despite increasing calories

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I checked my weight. The next week, I checked my weight again. It was the same, so I increased my calories by around 20. I checked my weight again the next week. It was the same, so I increased my calories by 20 ish again. Today? I checked my weight. It was the same again. Why have I not gained even a single pound of muscle after increasing by 40+ calories? I have done this before and I’ve gained weight, and even sometimes didn’t even have to increase the calories by anything to gain another pound. I haven’t been able to do legs in the past 3 ish months due to an injury, and I could losing weight due to the loss of muscle in my legs, but I still should be gaining. Also, it has nothing to do my training, I changed my split a few weeks ago and I’m training the same as I was, if not harder.
    Any guidance would be appreciated.

Theres a toll in the hall SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    lol, it sounds like you are trolling...

On the offchance you are serious, try increasing by 300. If you gained weight from tiny increases before, it was a coincidence.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow 20 calories increase that equals one of these extra a day:-

That will pack the lean muscle on.
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 01-20-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    lol, it sounds like you are trolling...

On the offchance you are serious, try increasing by 300. If you gained weight from tiny increases before, it was a coincidence.
    I’m trying to take a lean bulk approach and not a dirty one, and increasing by 300 won’t really classify as a “lean bulk”

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Wow 20 calories increase that equals one of these extra a day:-

That will pack the lean muscle on.
    It was like 50 in total, and I’m trying to take a lean bulk approach, so I don’t really know the best medium

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Accurate13 View Post
    I’m trying to take a lean bulk approach and not a dirty one, and increasing by 300 won’t really classify as a “lean bulk”
    Actually, yes, it will.

If you are gaining nothing, then you add 300 calories, some of that surplus will be burned off simply metabolizing the food, and you'll only gain about 2lb a month or possibly less if your training or NEAT increases as a result of having more energy.

You need to actually target a significant enough surplus so that you don't waste time. It doesn't have to be huge, but 300 is a very reasonable amount.

Not to mention, adding <100 calories per day is within the margin of error for food packaging and estimates, so if you do that then you run the risk of just spinning your wheels endlessly because you cannot calculate to that degree of accuracy anyway.

Would you rather put on a small amount of fat while also gaining muscle, or gain NO muscle and just waste time?
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Actually, yes, it will.

If you are gaining nothing, then you add 300 calories, some of that surplus will be burned off simply metabolizing the food, and you'll only gain about 2lb a month or possibly less if your training or NEAT increases as a result of having more energy.

You need to actually target a significant enough surplus so that you don't waste time. It doesn't have to be huge, but 300 is a very reasonable amount.

Not to mention, adding <100 calories per day is within the margin of error for food packaging and estimates, so if you do that then you run the risk of just spinning your wheels endlessly because you cannot calculate to that degree of accuracy anyway.

Would you rather put on a small amount of fat while also gaining muscle, or gain NO muscle and just waste time?
    I see what you mean. My one issue with increasing by that many calories is the difficulty with eating that much. I sometimes have trouble eating as many calories as I do as it is now.

How many lbs of muscle do you think I will gain increasing my calories by that much before I have to increase again?
    Thanks for the output.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I see what you mean. My one issue with increasing by that many calories is the difficulty with eating that much. I sometimes have trouble eating as many calories as I do as it is now.

How many lbs of muscle do you think I will gain increasing my calories by that much before I have to increase again?
    Thanks for the output.
    300 calories is like 3 spoons of peanut butter, or 2 cups of whole milk... heck you could eat ~4 Dates to add 300 calories... it's really almost nothing.

It would be literally impossible for me to estimate how much muscle you could gain before needing to add calories...

I mean dude, we're telling you you GET to eat more food... this should hardly be bad news... I can think of far worser tasks than increasing the amount of calories you eat.

Just add some cheese on your veggies, get higher fat dairy, add a handful or two of trail mix...

300 calories is like 3 spoons of peanut butter, or 2 cups of whole milk... heck you could eat ~4 Dates to add 300 calories... it's really almost nothing.

It would be literally impossible for me to estimate how much muscle you could gain before needing to add calories...

I mean dude, we're telling you you GET to eat more food... this should hardly be bad news... I can think of far worser tasks than increasing the amount of calories you eat.

Just add some cheese on your veggies, get higher fat dairy, add a handful or two of trail mix...
    Alright, I understand. Thanks.

Should I add calories if I, for example, walk around campus? It obviously burns calories, but should I just stay at the same amount?
    Also, I wasn’t asking for a specific number, it’s impossible to do that, I was asking in terms of a general estimation (10 pounds? 5?)

Alright, I understand. Thanks.

Should I add calories if I, for example, walk around campus? It obviously burns calories, but should I just stay at the same amount?
    Also, I wasn’t asking for a specific number, it’s impossible to do that, I was asking in terms of a general estimation (10 pounds? 5?)
    If you're tracking your weight changes using a moving average and your activity stays fairly consistent, you should need to worry about these tiny details... don't get so specific that you miss the forest for the trees.

I guess I assumed you already had a good general idea of your maintenance calories anyway... so just add 300 to that...

If there's a particular day you think you actually increased your TDEE by 300 and thus burned off the otherwise targeted surplus, then yes eat more, but that would be on a day wherein you, say, walked 3 more miles than you otherwise would...

Again I think you're just trying to be way too specific here.

There's also zero way for me to estimate even a ballpark for when you'll need to add more... you add more when your weight gain stalls for 1-2 weeks and you don't feel/see consistent progress in the gym... at which point you can add 100-200 more calories, and keep going...

If you're tracking your weight changes using a moving average and your activity stays fairly consistent, you should need to worry about these tiny details... don't get so specific that you miss the forest for the trees.

I guess I assumed you already had a good general idea of your maintenance calories anyway... so just add 300 to that...

If there's a particular day you think you actually increased your TDEE by 300 and thus burned off the otherwise targeted surplus, then yes eat more, but that would be on a day wherein you, say, walked 3 more miles than you otherwise would...

Again I think you're just trying to be way too specific here.

There's also zero way for me to estimate even a ballpark for when you'll need to add more... you add more when your weight gain stalls for 1-2 weeks and you don't feel/see consistent progress in the gym... at which point you can add 100-200 more calories, and keep going...

Alright. Thanks for the detailed response.

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A few weeks ago I checked my weight. The next week, I checked my weight again. It was the same, so I increased my calories by around 20. I checked my weight again the next week. It was the same, so I increased my calories by 20 ish again. Today? I checked my weight. It was the same again. Why have I not gained even a single pound of muscle after increasing by 40+ calories?
    Not sure if you're joking. If you're serious then I'd have to say that level of additional calories is well within the margin of error of your measurements. Still, post your calorie totals and daily weigh-ins for the last three weeks and we can check your math.