Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User losedatfat's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    losedatfat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    losedatfat is offline

    50 pounds in 5 months

    Hey everyone

    Never thought I’d be posting on something like this but I want to see if my goal is realistic. Currently I’m 6’4” 280 pounds at age 19. Large frame and athletic build - always played sports and have been a good athlete, but now I really want to thin out as my size offers me no competitive advantage. I’ve always exercised multiple times a week but my problem has been how much I’ve eaten. Over the past 3-4 months I’ve lost probably 15 pounds just from eating less, but I’m deciding to take it more seriously now.

    My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June by staying on a 2000 calorie a day diet. My BMR seems to be around 2500, and I’m working manual labor jobs so should be burning around 3500-4000 calories a day (my calories frequently push into the 2300-2500 range because I don’t want to be too strict and quit as a result of that). At that rate, it should be about a 1500 calorie deficit every day, which results in 10,500 a week - so 3 lbs. it’s about 20 weeks until June, so with that math it should be 60 pounds, but I know it gets harder as you drop in weight so I’m thinking 40-50 is more realistic. Do you all think this is possible?

    I’ve been trying it the past week and a half and it’s been going really well. Stomach has shrunk and my 2000-2200 calories a day is more than enough to give me the energy I need to be working outside all day. Any insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 17,216
    Rep Power: 80738
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    I don't think you'll make that goal. As you lean out the fat comes of slower and slower. If you drop 100 calories a day for every 10 lbs you lose you'll continue to lose however as you drop cals your energy suffers and that means your NEAT calorie burn decreases and this can really slow the losses down.

    Don't put a timeline on it as it can lead to disappointment. Make sure your weight training program is spot on. A sub par training regimen and a calorie deficit can be a sure fire way to lose muscle however ample protein can be an advantage.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User losedatfat's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    losedatfat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    losedatfat is offline
    Back on this thread after forgetting about it a couple weeks ago. Been doing well consistently eating in the 2000-2500 calorie range while working in the fields every day, so probably burning around 3500-4000 most days. My problem with weight lifting is that I don't really have a gym I can go to. I'm living in a small town in Vietnam until June and there's nowhere to lift here. I was thinking if I could cut as much as possible before getting back to the states I could then focus on putting on more muscle. I work best if I have number goal so if I'm around 275 now would say 250 be a good realistic goal to have by June 1st? I don't have a scale but I'm hoping to buy one tomorrow so I can actually track my progress.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User newbutserious's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 41
    Rep Power: 0
    newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50) newbutserious will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    newbutserious is offline
    That all sounds like you're doing just fine. If you're in a position where lifting is just really not something you're able to do then you can focus on losing weight and you can make up the difference later. With bulking, cutting and recomp there are more than one way to arrive at the same destination. Focus on weight loss while that's what is available to you.

    When I go on Christmas vacation to visit family I literally walk into the woods and spend some time lifting reasonably sized rocks as well as doing push ups and crunches and other body weight exercises so if there's a will there's a way! Ideally, you lift as you lose weight to preserve as much muscle as you can.

    Per the above comment your goal is a little aggressive. Nothing wrong with trying, but don't worry if you fall quite a bit short of that.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Verified Aesthetic rhadam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 38,964
    Rep Power: 323101
    rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rhadam is offline
    Originally Posted by losedatfat View Post
    Hey everyone

    Never thought I’d be posting on something like this but I want to see if my goal is realistic. Currently I’m 6’4” 280 pounds at age 19. Large frame and athletic build - always played sports and have been a good athlete, but now I really want to thin out as my size offers me no competitive advantage. I’ve always exercised multiple times a week but my problem has been how much I’ve eaten. Over the past 3-4 months I’ve lost probably 15 pounds just from eating less, but I’m deciding to take it more seriously now.

    My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June by staying on a 2000 calorie a day diet. My BMR seems to be around 2500, and I’m working manual labor jobs so should be burning around 3500-4000 calories a day (my calories frequently push into the 2300-2500 range because I don’t want to be too strict and quit as a result of that). At that rate, it should be about a 1500 calorie deficit every day, which results in 10,500 a week - so 3 lbs. it’s about 20 weeks until June, so with that math it should be 60 pounds, but I know it gets harder as you drop in weight so I’m thinking 40-50 is more realistic. Do you all think this is possible?

    I’ve been trying it the past week and a half and it’s been going really well. Stomach has shrunk and my 2000-2200 calories a day is more than enough to give me the energy I need to be working outside all day. Any insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Of course it's possible. If you want some motivation, look up David Goggins. Read his story.
    Currently: traveling

    Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Netherlands + Croatia - 2020
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User 284Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 40
    Posts: 475
    Rep Power: 379
    284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    284Shooter is offline
    Yes you can. It’s not going to be easy at the end though.

    I am down from 274 to about 218 since August. I am 6’3”. It has slowed some, but still dropping weight.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User William2018's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 196
    Rep Power: 499
    William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William2018 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    William2018 is offline
    Originally Posted by losedatfat View Post
    Back on this thread after forgetting about it a couple weeks ago. Been doing well consistently eating in the 2000-2500 calorie range while working in the fields every day, so probably burning around 3500-4000 most days. My problem with weight lifting is that I don't really have a gym I can go to. I'm living in a small town in Vietnam until June and there's nowhere to lift here. I was thinking if I could cut as much as possible before getting back to the states I could then focus on putting on more muscle. I work best if I have number goal so if I'm around 275 now would say 250 be a good realistic goal to have by June 1st? I don't have a scale but I'm hoping to buy one tomorrow so I can actually track my progress.
    Your goal can be achieved if you stay positive and consistent with your diet and training. I lost 42 pounds inside 4 months. Did cardio, calisthenics and weight training. Dropped the calorie intake and switched to a nutritional diet. Fasting can also help. Used to skip breakfast and lunch twice per week. Celebs like Beyonce, Hugh Jackman and Benedict Cumberbatch are known to do periodic fasting. Actor Aiden Turner said he worked out twice a day and did not eat until 7pm during filming and enjoyed fighting the hunger urges. Depending on how badly you want to achieve your goal will depend on your level of commitment and determination to succeed.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User losedatfat's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    losedatfat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    losedatfat is offline
    Hey everyone. I have some questions regarding my diet and exercise.

    As of now I'm eating around 1700-1900 calories a day. It's pretty low for a guy my size but I honestly feel great so I don't see any reason to be eating more. I'm intermittent fasting doing a 16-8 split mostly because breakfast uses up a lot of calories and I like to have a big dinner. Most days I eat an egg and ham sandwich for lunch and rice and chicken or stir fry for dinner, often with a banana peanut butter smoothie somewhere in there. Living in Asia on a budget with a bunch of other guys makes it kind of hard to really have a say over what I eat, but I try to do my best. For exercise I'm usually doing a circuit with a .3 mile run, pushups, jump squats, curling and military pressing a ~60 pound wooden plank, tricep work with a big rock, benching the wooden plank 50-60 times, and 2 minutes of jump rope - doing the running and jump rope plus a variation of the strength stuff 4 times through. So about 1.2 miles of running, 8 minutes of jump rope, and a decent amount of strength stuff.

    I'm doing this while also working outside for around 6-7 hours a day doing stuff like shoveling dirt, raking leaves, building compost piles, pickaxing hard dirt, and a bunch of other stuff. Usually getting in anywhere from 10-20 thousand steps a day.

    So my question is, do y'all have any advice for what I should do differently or anything that will make my time more effective? I've made this into a bit of an obsession and I have way more motivation than ever before and I'm honestly really excited for the process of losing weight.

    Thanks for the help!
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Age: 67
    Posts: 17,216
    Rep Power: 80738
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Tommy W. is offline
    Originally Posted by losedatfat View Post
    Hey everyone. I have some questions regarding my diet and exercise.

    As of now I'm eating around 1700-1900 calories a day. It's pretty low for a guy my size but I honestly feel great so I don't see any reason to be eating more. I'm intermittent fasting doing a 16-8 split mostly because breakfast uses up a lot of calories and I like to have a big dinner. Most days I eat an egg and ham sandwich for lunch and rice and chicken or stir fry for dinner, often with a banana peanut butter smoothie somewhere in there. Living in Asia on a budget with a bunch of other guys makes it kind of hard to really have a say over what I eat, but I try to do my best. For exercise I'm usually doing a circuit with a .3 mile run, pushups, jump squats, curling and military pressing a ~60 pound wooden plank, tricep work with a big rock, benching the wooden plank 50-60 times, and 2 minutes of jump rope - doing the running and jump rope plus a variation of the strength stuff 4 times through. So about 1.2 miles of running, 8 minutes of jump rope, and a decent amount of strength stuff.

    I'm doing this while also working outside for around 6-7 hours a day doing stuff like shoveling dirt, raking leaves, building compost piles, pickaxing hard dirt, and a bunch of other stuff. Usually getting in anywhere from 10-20 thousand steps a day.

    So my question is, do y'all have any advice for what I should do differently or anything that will make my time more effective? I've made this into a bit of an obsession and I have way more motivation than ever before and I'm honestly really excited for the process of losing weight.

    Thanks for the help!
    the proof will be what the scale is doing. If you’re comfortable with those calories and the fat is coming off then you’re doing well. If the fatloss is slow drop calories further and you should be dropping 100 calories a day every time you lose 10 lbs to keep things moving at the same rate. You can drop less than 100 a day however the losses will be slower which usually will become more realistic as you lean out
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts