MSammon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cable fly advice

Hi,
    What position do you have the pulley in? High, medium or low?
    Do you cross your arms over or not?
    Do you lean forward or not?
    This is in front of the standing dual cable machine.
    Sorry for all the questions just not sure on this excersise and just started a new routine with it in. Thanks.

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    pulley position and body tilt will affect the angle, making it decline, flat or incline. If you pull quite a bit of weight, you will not be able to keep pulleys in the middle and not to tilt forward, bacause of balance. You might need adjustable bench for certain angles. Cross over is a reason for cables in first place, to extend the RoM. If your routine does not specify, than you pretty much lower pulley to somewhere just above shoulder level, and tilt forward slightly, and cross over.

Thanks sorry only just seen this reply. It was upper body B day today so this came around again. I did the standard crossovers from the high pulley position, leaning forward slightly.
    There’s only room for one in my routine. Would you prioritise low pulley position over high for cable crossover then?
    My chest excersises involved in my main workouts are:
    Upper body A day
    Barbell Bench Press
    Incline dumbbell bench press
    Upper body B day
    Dumbbell bench press (flat)
    Cable crossovers (pulley position undecided lol).

weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000) weiss1967 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MSammon View Post
    Would you prioritise low pulley position over high for cable crossover then?
    Think about it. Even draw a scetch if you need, in order to see angles. Think vectors, axels and levers, this will help. Chest muscle, like traps or delts etc, have many budles and thus needs to be covered from every angle to get all bundles covered. On your B day, you have flat bench already. Now you need either decline or incline, and you will have to alternate those two between workouts "A" and "B". I actually prefer incline, this brings upper chest and makes it look fuller and more round. Also, if you train tripceps on the same day, you will have to give them a little break by doing fly's. If you already have done DB or BB press, then your second exercise is better be fly's, with straight or slightly bent arms. To make cable fly's at an incline angle, you will have to sit on incline bench, and have pulleys positioned way down to the floor. Also, keep in mind, if the frame is narrow and pulleys are close to your shoulders, you will not be getting a full benefits of crossovers. Ideally, pulleys should be somewhere 3 feet away to your right and left. Again, to see my point you will either have to visualise, or draw a diagram. There should be the right "power curve". Load will have to be increasing at the top of range, right where arms cross. Switch to one arm fly's if you have to.

So, this is the concept. Cover all angles, alternate between presses and fly's, keep in mind the power curve.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    Think about it. Even draw a scetch if you need, in order to see angles. Think vectors, axels and levers, this will help. Chest muscle, like traps or delts etc, have many budles and thus needs to be covered from every angle to get all bundles covered. On your B day, you have flat bench already. Now you need either decline or incline, and you will have to alternate those two between workouts "A" and "B". I actually prefer incline, this brings upper chest and makes it look fuller and more round. Also, if you train tripceps on the same day, you will have to give them a little break by doing fly's. If you already have done DB or BB press, then your second exercise is better be fly's, with straight or slightly bent arms. To make cable fly's at an incline angle, you will have to sit on incline bench, and have pulleys positioned way down to the floor. Also, keep in mind, if the frame is narrow and pulleys are close to your shoulders, you will not be getting a full benefits of crossovers. Ideally, pulleys should be somewhere 3 feet away to your right and left. Again, to see my point you will either have to visualise, or draw a diagram. There should be the right "power curve". Load will have to be increasing at the top of range, right where arms cross. Switch to one arm fly's if you have to.

So, this is the concept. Cover all angles, alternate between presses and fly's, keep in mind the power curve.
    Thank you for a very informative reply. So perhaps I should do decline one week and incline the next week? As my routine only has fly’s on the Upper body B day and I don’t want to change it too much. It says to use your preference of dumbbell, cable or pec dec. it says dumbbell fly’s should be on a low decline.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll add my two cents here.
    Many lifters don't get the most out of cable fly that they could.
    The first thing to think about is drawing the upper arm from elbow to shoulder with inward contraction on the pecs.
    Lower arm from elbow to wrist stays locked like in a cast with a slight bend.
    Dont collapse the chest with shoulders forward or you take a good amount of stress off the chest.
    Try keep the chest pushed out throughout the movement.
    The arms should travel in an arcing motion.
    You can cross the forearms as mentioned just keep the arms locked.
    If you don't crossing the arms does little to nothing for the pecs.
    I only use a cable that has top or bottom positions so positioning the upper body in the ideal position is something each person has to find whats best for them and maintain that position when doing the cable flys.
    I feel moderate weight is best as form can get sloppy with heavy weight and best to do these after main chest lifts although you could use these as a pre exhaust before getting into the main chest movements.
    There you go.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I'll add my two cents here.
    Many lifters don't get the most out of cable fly that they could.
    The first thing to think about is drawing the upper arm from elbow to shoulder with inward contraction on the pecs.
    Lower arm from elbow to wrist stays locked like in a cast with a slight bend.
    Dont collapse the chest with shoulders forward or you take a good amount of stress off the chest.
    Try keep the chest pushed out throughout the movement.
    The arms should travel in an arcing motion.
    You can cross the forearms as mentioned just keep the arms locked.
    If you don't crossing the arms does little to nothing for the pecs.
    I only use a cable that has top or bottom positions so positioning the upper body in the ideal position is something each person has to find whats best for them and maintain that position when doing the cable flys.
    I feel moderate weight is best as form can get sloppy with heavy weight and best to do these after main chest lifts although you could use these as a pre exhaust before getting into the main chest movements.
    There you go.
    Thanks I’m going to have to watch more videos and draw those movements. I am not surprised there’s a lot to learn on this one. Anyone can jump on and do it like everyone else but I need to fully understand what I’m doing with it.