Bolognie1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Cannot deadlift with belt, am I too fat or does it just not fit?

Dad bought me an ott belt for christmas, only been able to use it recently as I was sick. I literally can't deadlift with it on because it cuts right into my guts. I can't tell if it is just because I've put on a few kilos of fat over the past few months or if it is just a bad fit.

It is a Harris stability systems 13mm belt. I have it done up around what I'd say is correct, with an option to be ~1 inch loser. When I have it on tighter, it looks fine and feels fine, but as soon as I bend over to deadlift I have to lift off the balls of my feet as I cannot lean back without bending my back. Similarly, I can't bring the weight much past my knees and have to drop it before. It really ****ing hurts too, feels like it's going to rip my skin open when I perform any motion it is suppost to help with even if it isn't completely impossible to do so.

I've put on some fat recently, so I'm thinking it could be that, but at the same time I don't see how it would help. Even if it's on so loose it flops around it still imobilises me too much. This seems completely ridiculous though for such an expensive belt, so wtf is up? Do some belts just not fit people? I'm quite a big guy, and although I would not be the tallest mf using a belt, I can't imagine they'd make a belt that only fits people with longer torsos than myself...

Idk anyway, does this make sense? Am I just too fat or is it just one of those things you need to try on first? It's not a matter of being too tight as if I losen it one more increment, there is almost no resistance when I puff up at all.

Should I just take this back and look for another one (what do I need to be looking for), or wait till I lose quite a few kilos?

dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Bolognie1 View Post
    Dad bought me an ott belt for christmas, only been able to use it recently as I was sick. I literally can't deadlift with it on because it cuts right into my guts. I can't tell if it is just because I've put on a few kilos of fat over the past few months or if it is just a bad fit.

It is a Harris stability systems 13mm belt. I have it done up around what I'd say is correct, with an option to be ~1 inch loser. When I have it on tighter, it looks fine and feels fine, but as soon as I bend over to deadlift I have to lift off the balls of my feet as I cannot lean back without bending my back. Similarly, I can't bring the weight much past my knees and have to drop it before. It really ****ing hurts too, feels like it's going to rip my skin open when I perform any motion it is suppost to help with even if it isn't completely impossible to do so.

I've put on some fat recently, so I'm thinking it could be that, but at the same time I don't see how it would help. Even if it's on so loose it flops around it still imobilises me too much. This seems completely ridiculous though for such an expensive belt, so wtf is up? Do some belts just not fit people? I'm quite a big guy, and although I would not be the tallest mf using a belt, I can't imagine they'd make a belt that only fits people with longer torsos than myself...

Idk anyway, does this make sense? Am I just too fat or is it just one of those things you need to try on first? It's not a matter of being too tight as if I losen it one more increment, there is almost no resistance when I puff up at all.

Should I just take this back and look for another one (what do I need to be looking for), or wait till I lose quite a few kilos?
    Well if you look at the strong men, they're like 400lbs. Also Id go raw as long as I could. I usually only use my belt on my 1-2 rep sets
    -632931 to -285725 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    13mm is quite thick and will probably take a long time to break in and become comfortable. 10mm is more often recommended for all but the strongest lifters. Is it 10cm wide? That's about 4" and some find that width uncomfortable for deadlift. 3" might be more comfortable. Your Harris belt might be better for squats and you go beltless or look at a different style of belt for deadlift.

Bolognie1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    13mm is quite thick and will probably take a long time to break in and become comfortable. 10mm is more often recommended for all but the strongest lifters. Is it 10cm wide? That's about 4" and some find that width uncomfortable for deadlift. 3" might be more comfortable. Your Harris belt might be better for squats and you go beltless or look at a different style of belt for deadlift.
    Yeah. For squats it works technically. It still feels really ****ing uncomfortable, and I'm not sure if my technique is good which I can normally tell with any other belt I've used (or no belt), and left me with significant bruising all over my hips, but it works. For deadlifts, it literally seems impossible though. I can't imagine a 3mm thickness reduction would make much of a difference, but yeah I would have thought a 3" belt would be ideal (it is 10cm "tall"). I really can't get to the weight without heavily hunching my back or going on my toes with the belt on and struggle thinking this belt could be marketed for deadlifts for anyone. At the same time though, for someone who "sells 10,000 belts a year" and sponsores multiple Australian athletes, I find it hard to believe they'd make a belt that can't be used for both unless specifically stated. What is it specifically about 4" belts that make them harder for deadlifts? Is there something I could be doing wrong?

The dude was being a total **** when I emailed him, so it looks like I'm stuck with this until I can get one for deadlifts. What belts do you use?

vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vristang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I recently jumped about 20-30lbs, mostly in my gut...
    The belt that fit and felt just fine before that, feels horrible now. Pinches, bruises, hurts, etc.
    This is a well broken in belt.

I don't use a belt for DL now.
    Some guys keep using the belt for DL, but don't ratchet up as tight as they would on squat.

Or, just man the hell up, take your bruises, and use the extra adrenaline that the pain gets flowing, lmao.
    Jason
    First USAPL meet Feb 17th, 2017. Results S/B/D - 350/303/419
    Building a garage gym...

My advice is from personal experience only, use at your own risk, lol

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bolognie1 View Post
    Yeah. For squats it works technically. It still feels really ****ing uncomfortable, and I'm not sure if my technique is good which I can normally tell with any other belt I've used (or no belt), and left me with significant bruising all over my hips, but it works. For deadlifts, it literally seems impossible though. I can't imagine a 3mm thickness reduction would make much of a difference, but yeah I would have thought a 3" belt would be ideal (it is 10cm "tall"). I really can't get to the weight without heavily hunching my back or going on my toes with the belt on and struggle thinking this belt could be marketed for deadlifts for anyone. At the same time though, for someone who "sells 10,000 belts a year" and sponsores multiple Australian athletes, I find it hard to believe they'd make a belt that can't be used for both unless specifically stated. What is it specifically about 4" belts that make them harder for deadlifts? Is there something I could be doing wrong?

The dude was being a total **** when I emailed him, so it looks like I'm stuck with this until I can get one for deadlifts. What belts do you use?
    Unless you want to use a belt for deadlifts, you really don't need to. I'm still trying to find one that's comfortable. I'm not doing deads at all right now because of ongoing lower back issues that I think I've just about solved. You might look at a Spud belt or a nylon option, if leather isn't comfortable. A belt shouldn't hinder you from getting into the right position and having good form. That's definitely worse than going with no belt at all.