Registered User userB68NXLR0EEM's Avatar
    userB68NXLR0EEM is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry How long will it take to bench 225lbs?

Im a 17 year old boy thats 6’0ft and weights 175lbs. I’ve been lifting for almost 2-3 years now and my current 10-12 rep max on bench press is 185lbs.

I’m really trying to reach my goal of a 10-12 rep max bench press of 225lbs and it’s really starting to frustrate me as it feels like I’ve been stuck at 185 for over a month now.

How long do you think it will take me to reach 225lbs on bench, and do you think I’m starting to reach a plateau?

Anything helps, thanks.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well you've been lifting for longer than me so possibly you already know more than me :-)

First of all, I would say 185 pounds (greater than your own body weight) for 12 reps is a good achievement for a 17 year old, and probably well above what your average 17 year old could do.

Yes, you might have reached a plateau. Do you have access to a spotter? I've found that once I reach failure, having a spotter that helps me grind out another rep or two has helped.

The other thing I do is add more weight and do less reps. I've also done this with pullups. Psychologically when I go back to a lower weight it suddenly feels easier, even for more reps.

Good luck

ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you been following the same routine the entire time? Muscles will adapt over time, so you need to make some variations to keep growth going.
    I Do It Because I Can...
    I Can Because I Want To...
    I Want To Because You Said I Couldn't

1/11/20: 194lbs / 22% BF. Goal: 200lbs / 10 - 12 % BF

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ItalianDomenic View Post
    Have you been following the same routine the entire time? Muscles will adapt over time, so you need to make some variations to keep growth going.
    If by adding more weight to the bar then you are correct, you don't need to change routines though if it is a good one.

WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If your training strictly 10 rep sets that’s your problem. I went from 155 lbs to 320 lb bench in 15 months. However, I use the bench for strength training 2-4 rep sets only. For adding mass I use dumbbell presses because I seem to get better ROM and stretch in my chest. Try switching up your rep schemes to more strength training for a while.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WeightedDip View Post
    If your training strictly 10 rep sets that’s your problem. I went from 155 lbs to 320 lb bench in 15 months. However, I use the bench for strength training 2-4 rep sets only. For adding mass I use dumbbell presses because I seem to get better ROM and stretch in my chest. Try switching up your rep schemes to more strength training for a while.
    What about weighted dips?

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The answer here is so simple guys.

Bench responds Soooo well to an increase in bodyweight. Aim to gain 2 pounds per month for the next few months by eating more and you'll be right there.

Everytime I gain weight my bench and my OHP go up considerably. Wish I could say the same about my squat.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 280x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 375x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 515x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6

WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10) WeightedDip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Weighted Dips is excellent at increasing bench. I’m over 3 plates on weighted dips 2x a week now and every time I go up in weighted dips my bench goes up.

Also like mentioned above every time your weight goes up your bench goes up. This is especially true if your doing a lot of weighted dips and your body weight is constantly raising this will increase your dip strength, bench press, and pull up strength also.

Also I highly suggest back training. I train my back as often as my chest and arms. I have high doubts I’d have the courage to get under a heavy bench without back strength because your back plays a big roll in supporting the weight on the bench also.

I also do dips the same way. I train a 3,3,3, 10, 10, 10, 10 set structure on dips. After I got over 240ish on bench I had to switch from PPL to an modified Arnold Split. I was originally doing PPL but after a certain weight I could no longer use maximum effort on both bench and dips. I don’t use steroids to recover so I couldn’t do Arnold’s chest 3x a week and arms 3x a week. Now I do chest and back on mondays and thuradays, arms Tuesday and Friday, shoulders and legs wed and Saturday. I’m back to using maximum effort on both dips and bench. This gives me 4 rounds a week of practice to increase my bench when factoring dips and bench and I’m back to growing again and my numbers are now continuing to climb again.

I also do dips the same way. I train a 3,3,3, 10, 10, 10, 10 set structure on dips. After I got over 240ish on bench I had to switch from PPL to an modified Arnold Split. I was originally doing PPL but after a certain weight I could no longer use maximum effort on both bench and dips. I don’t use steroids to recover so I couldn’t do Arnold’s chest 3x a week and arms 3x a week. Now I do chest and back on mondays and thursdays, arms Tuesday and Friday, shoulders and legs wed and Saturday. I’m back to using maximum effort on both dips and bench. This gives me 4 rounds a week of practice to increase my bench when factoring dips and bench and I’m back to growing again and my numbers are now continuing to climb again.

I’m a firm believer in the more times you do something the better you get, as long as your recovering. When your working with heavy weights I’ve found out you constantly have to change small things to ensure you recover. I stalled at 300 on bench for weeks doing the ppl, then when I found a way to start heavy pressing 4x a week, and reprogrammed things to allow me to press maximum effort on both dips and bench again, my bench started climbing quickly and went from 300 to 320 in no time. It’s all a matter of the more you do it the better you get, but remember you’ll have to change things up to ensure your recovering along the way.
    Last edited by WeightedDip; 01-17-2020 at 10:22 AM.