Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    youngaladyy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Metabolic Damage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have been on a strict and very clean high protein low carb diet for a number of years, shredded and toned with very low body fat, body weight was always around 48-51kg. Then i had an operation after which i couldn’t move for a month, which just killed me inside, as i was used to working out everyday, being very active etc. when this happened i totally broke and because i couldn’t do anything else - not even walking or getting out of bed, i binge ate (psychological factors, stress) like crazy. The foods i consumed were the foods i never had in years- chocolate, pies, all things that i wouldn’t allow myself to have for a long period of time. i was really hurting physically because of the operation and i was also hurting mentally as i couldn’t move out of bed and so i was indulging for at least two more months until i finally felt good enough to recover after my operation. During this period of time, not surprisingly i gained the most weight i ever did in my life (weighing at 62kg). I was bloated, looked like a balloon, my body fat was around 30% of my body. I then started walking to my job, then walking uphill on a treadmill in the gym, and after a few months introduced weights again little by little (because of recovery post op). At this time i was already eating clean again, limiting my calories, because i was stressing out about looking like an absolute pig. AND I STILL AM. Now for over a year I am counting my calories 1300 per day and am on a low calorie diet consuming circa 37% of protein, 43% of fat and 20% of carbs daily. I lift weights for approx an hour a day 4 times per week and do cardio everyday so essentially im back where i was in terms of my workouts - on the days i lift id do cardio after my workout, on the days that i dont lift id just do cardio. Cardio is always for an hour, i go on a treadmill but i walk and not run very steep as in uphill. Cardio machine shows calories burned as 750 ( i know this is not 100% percent accurate but still the approximate figure ). My problem is that the weight that ive put on- does not go down. It is driving me crazy because for at least 5 years ive been in an amazing shape, very muscular, and little fat. Now i feel like whatever i do im just losing hope because weight and fat does not move. My BMR shows as 1350, as my height is only 157cm, but i consume 1300 calories and exercise c.750 kcal per day doing cardio, also some calories are burned during weights session which i dont even count, so im in caloric deficit of c.750 kcal a day. and I AM NOT LOSING ANYTHING. i weight all of my food. in fact, im gaining- a month ago i weighted 60, now i weight 62. I dont know whats happening. Please, someone who had a similar experience or could offer some guidance or help, anything would be appreciated. I know i have probably messed up my metabolic system or something real bad, but how do i fix it?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are not in a caloric deficit, if you were you would be losing weight. The only indication of being in a caloric deficit is weight loss, its not what some online calculator or your own calorie calculations say. Either you're taking in more calories than you think, or your caloric burn is much lower than you think, or the more likely scenario - a combination of both. Your metabolism is not "messed up" - you're living and breathing and eating and ****ting and walking around and exercising right?

Again - The ONLY indicator of a caloric deficit is WEIGHT LOSS.

Solution - Lower your caloric intake until you're losing weight.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by youngaladyy View Post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have been on a strict and very clean high protein low carb diet for a number of years, shredded and toned with very low body fat, body weight was always around 48-51kg. Then i had an operation after which i couldn’t move for a month, which just killed me inside, as i was used to working out everyday, being very active etc. when this happened i totally broke and because i couldn’t do anything else - not even walking or getting out of bed, i binge ate (psychological factors, stress) like crazy. The foods i consumed were the foods i never had in years- chocolate, pies, all things that i wouldn’t allow myself to have for a long period of time. i was really hurting physically because of the operation and i was also hurting mentally as i couldn’t move out of bed and so i was indulging for at least two more months until i finally felt good enough to recover after my operation. During this period of time, not surprisingly i gained the most weight i ever did in my life (weighing at 62kg). I was bloated, looked like a balloon, my body fat was around 30% of my body. I then started walking to my job, then walking uphill on a treadmill in the gym, and after a few months introduced weights again little by little (because of recovery post op). At this time i was already eating clean again, limiting my calories, because i was stressing out about looking like an absolute pig. AND I STILL AM. Now for over a year I am counting my calories 1300 per day and am on a low calorie diet consuming circa 37% of protein, 43% of fat and 20% of carbs daily. I lift weights for approx an hour a day 4 times per week and do cardio everyday so essentially im back where i was in terms of my workouts - on the days i lift id do cardio after my workout, on the days that i dont lift id just do cardio. Cardio is always for an hour, i go on a treadmill but i walk and not run very steep as in uphill. Cardio machine shows calories burned as 750 ( i know this is not 100% percent accurate but still the approximate figure ). My problem is that the weight that ive put on- does not go down. It is driving me crazy because for at least 5 years ive been in an amazing shape, very muscular, and little fat. Now i feel like whatever i do im just losing hope because weight and fat does not move. My BMR shows as 1350, as my height is only 157cm, but i consume 1300 calories and exercise c.750 kcal per day doing cardio, also some calories are burned during weights session which i dont even count, so im in caloric deficit of c.750 kcal a day. and I AM NOT LOSING ANYTHING. i weight all of my food. in fact, im gaining- a month ago i weighted 60, now i weight 62. I dont know whats happening. Please, someone who had a similar experience or could offer some guidance or help, anything would be appreciated. I know i have probably messed up my metabolic system or something real bad, but how do i fix it?
    A long period of inactivity and drastic diet changes can cause loss in LBM and decrease your BMR. Not sure where you're getting your BMR and calories burned calculator, but there's a chance that your numbers are off.

This is also one of those cases where I would not be trusting the scale. After coming back from a long period of detraining, your body will be able to go back to it's trained state much quicker. There is a chance that you've already put on more LBM than you had before. Take photos of your body week to week and monitor changes that way. Trust the process and don't focus on the numbers shown on the scale.
    The only way to do something is to do it

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post a picture.

How are you tracking your calories? Do you add your cardio exercise burned calories to your daily goal and eat those? (I noticed you said you don't count the calories burned lifting weights so I assume you do not eat those.)

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You win the annual Wall Of Text award
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    You are not in a caloric deficit, if you were you would be losing weight. The only indication of being in a caloric deficit is weight loss, its not what some online calculator or your own calorie calculations say. Either you're taking in more calories than you think, or your caloric burn is much lower than you think, or the more likely scenario - a combination of both. Your metabolism is not "messed up" - you're living and breathing and eating and ****ting and walking around and exercising right?

Again - The ONLY indicator of a caloric deficit is WEIGHT LOSS.

Solution - Lower your caloric intake until you're losing weight.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I am using myfitnesspal to track my calories and weight my food on the scale. Tbh i spend so much time on a treadmill that if i did any more minutes i feel like id faint. The food intake being 1300 kcal per day is also quite low as for me im always hungry and i am just wondering whether going below this would be ok in terms of health as well? They say 1200 is the minimum that you could consume. Given i do a lot of cardio in the gym and also lift weights im just losing energy there as i feel overexercised and just surviving. I always used to and now eat nutritious food and im just really hoping it is true what youre saying that you cant damage your metabolism but if the calories in and out works for everyone even in my situation- i would have at least lost a few kilograms l, its been a year already.. i dont know. Im going to try to eat even less. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by nemLifts View Post
    A long period of inactivity and drastic diet changes can cause loss in LBM and decrease your BMR. Not sure where you're getting your BMR and calories burned calculator, but there's a chance that your numbers are off.

This is also one of those cases where I would not be trusting the scale. After coming back from a long period of detraining, your body will be able to go back to it's trained state much quicker. There is a chance that you've already put on more LBM than you had before. Take photos of your body week to week and monitor changes that way. Trust the process and don't focus on the numbers shown on the scale.
    Thanks so much. I too think that my BMR must be lower than its supposed to be, which is why i am questioning whether this is metabolic damage? So essentially im burning very little calories while resting as opposed to those 1350 im supposed to burn given i weight 62kg, height is 157cm and i am working in the office so sedentary lifestyle. But then i do workout a lot in the gym - like i said its one hour weifghts and then one hour cardio in which the treadmill says ive burned 750 kcal. Taking this 1350 + 750 i burn i understand to maintain the same weight id need to eat 2100 kcal, however i eat only 1300 meaning i should be in 800 kcal deficit? Even more if you count the kcal from lifting, which is little but still some activity. But my weight does not change. I can MAYBE se some change in my body, but this is so tiny that ive never experienced this before. I can see that i have a lot of body fat and am definitely not as muscular as i was before.. i just dont know what to do next, if its down to BMR do you suggest to lower kcal even more? Thats really not my goal because i feel like im starving already on 1300 and exercising so much. But i can try and do 1100 or something.. not sure whether its healthy. Just hope that it brings results..

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Post a picture.

How are you tracking your calories? Do you add your cardio exercise burned calories to your daily goal and eat those? (I noticed you said you don't count the calories burned lifting weights so I assume you do not eat those.)
    I use myfitnesspal to track calories and weight my food. I calculate as 1350 BMR + 750 kcal from cardio so daily i have 2100 kcal to eat to remain the same weight. I eat 1300, so i keep 800 kcal deficit daily (even more because i dont count the ones from lifting). But not losing any weight. Its been a long time now, a year, so something must be wrong.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you willing to link to your MFP diary? Or post several days of it?

rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, you've done metabolic damage, but not in the way that you think. Most people use the term "metabolic damage" to imply that there is some inability of the body to respond to normal stimuli. In your case, your body is responding exactly as it should be. It might sound crazy, but your body is saving you from yourself.

The real metabolic damage you've done is you've swapped muscle for fat (in addition to gaining a bunch more fat). The loss of lean mass has driven your BMR way down. By eating in such a steep deficit while doing so much cardio you have guaranteed that your body will not re-build any of that muscle, regardless of how much resistance training you do. Without building any muscle, your BMR will not recover.

When your calorie deficit is too steep, then your body will not give a single flying **** about how many of your calories come from protein. The protein will just be whisked away from the muscle-synthesis pathway so that your liver can use it to make the glucose that your body desperately needs. You will stay in net-negative muscle balance.
    • Steep calorie deficit = muscle loss = reduced BMR
    To make matters worse, your exercise regimen is sending confusing signals to your body. Think about what your body is trying to adapt to right now. Do you expect to build any muscle when doing cardio every single day? It would take very significant calorie surplus, protein surplus, and resistance-training intensity to overcome a daily signal to pare muscle down. You have none of those things. To be honest, I'm not even sure why you would lift weights when you are so drastically under-feeding your body. It's a recipe for injury.
    • Cardio >> Resistance Training ==> muscle loss = reduced BMR

Your situation is the exact reason that I've come to despise the "Calories In, Calories Out" mantra. The idea of someone in your situation dropping calories further is blasphemy to me. Could it temporarily allow you to drop a few pounds? Sure, maybe, if you can miraculously sustain it. Some people are so Type-A that they can. But you know what else will happen? You'll dig your hole deeper. Those few pounds that you lose will be mostly lean mass, not fat. Once you finally decide that eating < 1,000 calories a day is stupid, you'll try bumping up to 1,250 and *POP*, you'll rapidly put on a bunch of fat (without putting on any muscle).

Fixing this mess is going to take a long time. You need to re-build the muscle you've lost in order to get your BMR back up. Then, once that is complete, you need to maintain a reasonable calorie deficit that will allow you to slowly lose fat without losing any muscle.

My recommendation:
    • Drastically reduce the cardio (less intensity and no more than 3 times a week--just go for 30-minute walks or something easy like that).
    • Get on a proven strength-training program that allows you to progressively overload your muscles
    • Eat the minimum amount of calories that allows you to progress according to that program. I don't care what the calorie number is. I just care that you are eating enough calories to progress and no more.
    • As the weeks go by, you can slowly increase the cardio intensity and frequency if you want. But don't let it slow down your strength progress.
    Once you do that for a few months, you should be a few pounds up but you'll have much more muscle to work with. Your BMR should be close to what it was before your operation. From there you'll be in a good place to:
    • Reduce your calorie intake by 20% (again, this is arbitrary, I don't care about the actual number of calories, I just care about the deficit being reasonable).
    • Continue lifting weights, but focus more on maintaining your lifts rather than progressing further.
    • As the weeks go by, reduce the cardio intensity and frequency. This will ensure your body understands that maintaining muscle is of paramount importance.
    Remember, looking and feeling healthy is not supposed to require an act of God. If you are working so hard that you feel like you are going to faint on the treadmill, then something is drastically wrong. The method I recommended above will take a long time, but will feel much easier and is guaranteed to work as long as you are patient, consistent, and forgiving with yourself.

If you decide to ignore my recommendation and instead just cut calories further, then I'd ask you to pay special attention to your monthly cycle. It sounds to me like your hormones are nearing the critical point where fertility functions start to shut down. Past that point, really bad things happen to the female body. You're playing with fire, so get close if you want but don't touch.

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    You win the annual Wall Of Text award
    Paragraphs are hard.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post
    Yes, you've done metabolic damage, but not in the way that you think. Most people use the term "metabolic damage" to imply that there is some inability of the body to respond to normal stimuli. In your case, your body is responding exactly as it should be. It might sound crazy, but your body is saving you from yourself.

The real metabolic damage you've done is you've swapped muscle for fat (in addition to gaining a bunch more fat). The loss of lean mass has driven your BMR way down. By eating in such a steep deficit while doing so much cardio you have guaranteed that your body will not re-build any of that muscle, regardless of how much resistance training you do. Without building any muscle, your BMR will not recover.

When your calorie deficit is too steep, then your body will not give a single flying **** about how many of your calories come from protein. The protein will just be whisked away from the muscle-synthesis pathway so that your liver can use it to make the glucose that your body desperately needs. You will stay in net-negative muscle balance.
    To make matters worse, your exercise regimen is sending confusing signals to your body. Think about what your body is trying to adapt to right now. Do you expect to build any muscle when doing cardio every single day? It would take very significant calorie surplus, protein surplus, and resistance-training intensity to overcome a daily signal to pare muscle down. You have none of those things. To be honest, I'm not even sure why you would lift weights when you are so drastically under-feeding your body. It's a recipe for injury.

Your situation is the exact reason that I've come to despise the "Calories In, Calories Out" mantra. The idea of someone in your situation dropping calories further is blasphemy to me. Could it temporarily allow you to drop a few pounds? Sure, maybe, if you can miraculously sustain it. Some people are so Type-A that they can. But you know what else will happen? You'll dig your hole deeper. Those few pounds that you lose will be mostly lean mass, not fat. Once you finally decide that eating < 1,000 calories a day is stupid, you'll try bumping up to 1,250 and *POP*, you'll rapidly put on a bunch of fat (without putting on any muscle).

Fixing this mess is going to take a long time. You need to re-build the muscle you've lost in order to get your BMR back up. Then, once that is complete, you need to maintain a reasonable calorie deficit that will allow you to slowly lose fat without losing any muscle.

My recommendation:
    • Drastically reduce the cardio (less intensity and no more than 3 times a week--just go for 30-minute walks or something easy like that).
    • Get on a proven strength-training program that allows you to progressively overload your muscles
    • Eat the minimum amount of calories that allows you to progress according to that program. I don't care what the calorie number is. I just care that you are eating enough calories to progress and no more.
    • As the weeks go by, you can slowly increase the cardio intensity and frequency if you want. But don't let it slow down your strength progress.
    Once you do that for a few months, you should be a few pounds up but you'll have much more muscle to work with. Your BMR should be close to what it was before your operation. From there you'll be in a good place to:
    • Reduce your calorie intake by 20% (again, this is arbitrary, I don't care about the actual number of calories, I just care about the deficit being reasonable).
    • Continue lifting weights, but focus more on maintaining your lifts rather than progressing further.
    • As the weeks go by, reduce the cardio intensity and frequency. This will ensure your body understands that maintaining muscle is of paramount importance.
    Remember, looking and feeling healthy is not supposed to require an act of God. If you are working so hard that you feel like you are going to faint on the treadmill, then something is drastically wrong. The method I recommended above will take a long time, but will feel much easier and is guaranteed to work as long as you are patient, consistent, and forgiving with yourself.

If you decide to ignore my recommendation and instead just cut calories further, then I'd ask you to pay special attention to your monthly cycle. It sounds to me like your hormones are nearing the critical point where fertility functions start to shut down. Past that point, really bad things happen to the female body. You're playing with fire, so get close if you want but don't touch.
    Just so you understand that muscle itself only burns around 6 or so calories a day so a 10 lb muscle loss doesn't have much of an effect on BMR.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

OP you aren't in a deficit and you haven't damaged your metabolism. Overestimating TDEE and underestimating your weekly calorie intake are the culprits. Cut back on cardio for starters as cardio for most people results in increased appetite and has diminishing returns fatloss wise. Make sure your weight training program is on point and review and adjust your caloric intake.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks so much. I too think that my BMR must be lower than its supposed to be, which is why i am questioning whether this is metabolic damage? So essentially im burning very little calories while resting as opposed to those 1350 im supposed to burn given i weight 62kg, height is 157cm and i am working in the office so sedentary lifestyle. But then i do workout a lot in the gym - like i said its one hour weifghts and then one hour cardio in which the treadmill says ive burned 750 kcal.

Taking this 1350 + 750 i burn i understand to maintain the same weight id need to eat 2100 kcal, however i eat only 1300 meaning i should be in 800 kcal deficit? Even more if you count the kcal from lifting, which is little but still some activity. But my weight does not change. I can MAYBE se some change in my body, but this is so tiny that ive never experienced this before.

I can see that i have a lot of body fat and am definitely not as muscular as i was before.. i just dont know what to do next, if its down to BMR do you suggest to lower kcal even more? Thats really not my goal because i feel like im starving already on 1300 and exercising so much. But i can try and do 1100 or something.. not sure whether its healthy. Just hope that it brings results..
    For starters, can you do everyone a favor and start splitting your posts into paragraphs like I've done. It can be a headache looking at words on words on words.

Fat that is slowly being lost while recovering LBM can still cover your body and make changes less visible but it's still important to track (pictures etc). Medical conditions aside, the most reasonable explanation for not losing weight is a miscalculation in your calories. For starters, I am highly doubtful that you're burning 750 kcal on a treadmill. A lot of the HIIT training I've done caps at about 500, and that's being 20 pounds heavier than you. Assuming you actually burn closer to 400 (For example), you are probably still losing weight, albeit at a relatively slow pace.

Putting your numbers into a BMR calculator showed that you're probably burning 1400 calories (at minimum per day). The number can vary greatly, but let's assume 1400 as an example. If you eat 1300 calories/day, you're already in a deficit of 100 calories based on BMR. Any other activities you do in the day will increase that burn even more. With a 750 cal extra burn per day, you're now in an 850 calories deficit. This will put you at weight loss a little below 2 lbs/week. Having said this, not only is it likely that you are overestimating the calories your burn, you're probably also underestimating how much you eat. Buy a scale for food and track all your measurements and post results back after a couple of weeks.

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    + 750 kcal from cardio so daily
    This is likely part of your problem. 750 kcal from cardio is a huge amount, more likely you're actually doing something like half that. The calorie counters on most equipment are ridiculously optimistic and count gross calories not net.

rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rtpmarine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just so you understand that muscle itself only burns around 6 or so calories a day so a 10 lb muscle loss doesn't have much of an effect on BMR.
    It's a good point, but doesn't tell the whole story. There's more to it than just maintenance costs of the tissues.

The balance of insulin sensitivity between muscle, adipose, and hepatic tissue is one of the primary ways the body decides whether to oxidize excess substrate or store it. Decreasing muscle and increasing fat puts the body in a position where most excess calories are stored (as fat). On the flip side, increasing muscle and decreasing fat puts the body in a position where more of the excess calories are spontaneously oxidized.

So the total effect to BMR is more than what is implied by tissue maintenance alone. More muscle = better insulin sensitivity balance = more "wiggle room" in BMR , because calorie surplus is more likely to be burned off rather than stored.

It's a good point, but doesn't tell the whole story. There's more to it than just maintenance costs of the tissues.

The balance of insulin sensitivity between muscle, adipose, and hepatic tissue is one of the primary ways the body decides whether to oxidize excess substrate or store it. Decreasing muscle and increasing fat puts the body in a position where most excess calories are stored (as fat). On the flip side, increasing muscle and decreasing fat puts the body in a position where more of the excess calories are spontaneously oxidized.

So the total effect to BMR is more than what is implied by tissue maintenance alone. More muscle = better insulin sensitivity balance = more "wiggle room" in BMR , because calorie surplus is more likely to be burned off rather than stored.
    it still comes down to calories. The insulin fairy is overplayed as far as its role in body composition and calorie burning. overweight people and diabetics can experience insulin issues however people in a fairly normal BMI and non diabetic don’t really need to worry about it. One way that more muscle can indirectly help with fatloss is the potential for a more active NEAT burn due to being able to put more stress on the body in day to day activities

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Are you willing to link to your MFP diary? Or post several days of it?
    Diet consists mainly of chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, protein cheese, oats, peanut butter, avocado, whey isolate, low fat milk, 0 fat 0 sugar yoghurt, veggies (all kinds), fish, grenade or other ‘good macros’ protein bars.. all of these to fit into the daily kcal + sweeteners to flavour coffees and other food.

Average daily is:
    85 gr of carbs
    140 gr of protein
    50 gr of fat

Diet consists mainly of chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, protein cheese, oats, peanut butter, avocado, whey isolate, low fat milk, 0 fat 0 sugar yoghurt, veggies (all kinds), fish, grenade or other ‘good macros’ protein bars.. all of these to fit into the daily kcal + sweeteners to flavour coffees and other food.

Average daily is:
    85 gr of carbs
    140 gr of protein
    50 gr of fat
    A list of foods and your average intake is not useful. I was asking for a screenshot in order to see if you are using good entries in MFP. That app allows any user to add food items and many, if not most, contain erroneous nutrition info.

My recommendation:

Thanks so much for writing this. So detailed, helpful and a very interesting read.

I too think about the fact that if i go even harder (cut calories even more below this 1300 that i eat and exercise more) this might bring other health issues including the above mentioned cycle problems etc. i have had this in the past when i was extremely lean, but when i fixed my diet to include enough carbs and fats it was Lacking, things went back to normal. So i think another important aspect is to maintain enough fats in the diet as for a woman that seems critical. I am trying to keep this around 1 g per kg, which to me is about 60g.

With respects to the exercise, it is indeed really hard to accept what youre suggesting because i am now afraid of putting some more Weight on.. so if im trusting the kcal in kcal out theory then essentially that means i will not lose anything if i reduce my exercise. but i can give this a try and see how my body reacts to it- the way you explained the bmr etc makes sense.

I mean the only four options are:
    Exercise more, eat more
    Exercise more, eat less
    Exercise less, eat less,
    Exercise less, eat more

In my situation, i understand i need to focus on maintaining and growing back muscle which means i need to reduce my cardio, but following this method do i now up my calories, or do i keep them the same if i want to fix this in the long run?

You've been stuck for a year. Another month while you figure it out isn't a big deal in the long run. Stop doing so much cardio. Cut it down to 150 minutes of moderate cardio per week. Keep lifting weights. Eat 1350 calories. After a month, if you don't lose, drop your calories by 150. If you gain, drop them by 300. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Originally Posted by nemLifts View Post
    For starters, can you do everyone a favor and start splitting your posts into paragraphs like I've done. It can be a headache looking at words on words on words.

Fat that is slowly being lost while recovering LBM can still cover your body and make changes less visible but it's still important to track (pictures etc). Medical conditions aside, the most reasonable explanation for not losing weight is a miscalculation in your calories. For starters, I am highly doubtful that you're burning 750 kcal on a treadmill. A lot of the HIIT training I've done caps at about 500, and that's being 20 pounds heavier than you. Assuming you actually burn closer to 400 (For example), you are probably still losing weight, albeit at a relatively slow pace.

Putting your numbers into a BMR calculator showed that you're probably burning 1400 calories (at minimum per day). The number can vary greatly, but let's assume 1400 as an example. If you eat 1300 calories/day, you're already in a deficit of 100 calories based on BMR. Any other activities you do in the day will increase that burn even more. With a 750 cal extra burn per day, you're now in an 850 calories deficit. This will put you at weight loss a little below 2 lbs/week. Having said this, not only is it likely that you are overestimating the calories your burn, you're probably also underestimating how much you eat. Buy a scale for food and track all your measurements and post results back after a couple of weeks.
    Thanks for this. I agree with your point that the equipment wont be perfectly correct as the numbers highly deviate for different individuals and I understand that it is likely to be less calories burned for me specifically. But there would be SOME weight loss occuring in this case. Even if its those 400 kcal burned, id be in a 500 kcal deficit per day.

I know for a fact that my food intake tracking is on point as i have a scale for food and weight all of my foods, then entering into mfp to track.

So with me burning fewer calories than 750 makes sense, but i still am active everyday so i would expect to see results after a longer period of time. Do you suggest i eat even less or exercise even more?

OP you aren't in a deficit and you haven't damaged your metabolism. Overestimating TDEE and underestimating your weekly calorie intake are the culprits. Cut back on cardio for starters as cardio for most people results in increased appetite and has diminishing returns fatloss wise. Make sure your weight training program is on point and review and adjust your caloric intake.
    Thanks. How would you suggest i play around with my calories and macros if i cut back on cardio then? I will be burning less kcal on a daily basis, do i need to compensate for that by cutting kcal even more?

Thanks. How would you suggest i play around with my calories and macros if i cut back on cardio then? I will be burning less kcal on a daily basis, do i need to compensate for that by cutting kcal even more?
    you need to lower calories regardless. Less cardio will make you less hungry so a deficit is easier to stick to. If you’re doing all that steady state cardio after awhile it burns a lot fewer calories. Try less but a bit more intense cardio for a shorter time and se how that feels to you. Maybe 3 15-20 minute sessions per week. Your focus should be on your weight training for optimum body composition

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Thanks for this. I agree with your point that the equipment wont be perfectly correct as the numbers highly deviate for different individuals and I understand that it is likely to be less calories burned for me specifically. But there would be SOME weight loss occuring in this case. Even if its those 400 kcal burned, id be in a 500 kcal deficit per day.

I know for a fact that my food intake tracking is on point as i have a scale for food and weight all of my foods, then entering into mfp to track.

So with me burning fewer calories than 750 makes sense, but i still am active everyday so i would expect to see results after a longer period of time. Do you suggest i eat even less or exercise even more?
    Adjust calories until you see the results you want (just make sure you have a reasonable goal like 1% BW weight loss per week) - in your case it sounds like lowering calories. If you're really pushing in the gym every session, then more exercise will make you hungrier and feel worse. On the other hand, adding light activity to your day (30 min walk etc.) could help a bit and give you a chance to take a mental break (literally use it as a chance to relax and unwind).

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You are eating more than 1300 calories

You are not burning 750 cals in cardio

You’re tracking wrong

I’m not much taller and at 1300 I’d be losing at least 12-15 lbs a month or more, if anyone could ruin their metabolism I would know, from before i got in recovery from alcoholism I dropped to 80lbs, 36kgs and once I quit and got sober my metabolism was fine and after restoring weight my cals maintain at 2000-2200
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

With respects to the exercise, it is indeed really hard to accept what youre suggesting because i am now afraid of putting some more Weight on.. so if im trusting the kcal in kcal out theory then essentially that means i will not lose anything if i reduce my exercise. but i can give this a try and see how my body reacts to it- the way you explained the bmr etc makes sense.

I mean the only four options are:
    Exercise more, eat more
    Exercise more, eat less
    Exercise less, eat less,
    Exercise less, eat more

In my situation, i understand i need to focus on maintaining and growing back muscle which means i need to reduce my cardio, but following this method do i now up my calories, or do i keep them the same if i want to fix this in the long run?
    Rather than up your calories or keep them the same, I'd prefer you throw out any preconceived notions about your caloric needs. Toss all numbers into the trash bin and start over. I know it's hard, because you're obviously a Type-A person and don't want to feel like you don't have control. But, to be honest with you, I think your current situation is pretty out of control, too.

Just lift weights hard and eat as much as you need to continually get stronger. The number of calories required to do that is arbitrary. I don't care if you have to eat 1000, 1500, or 2000, as long as you are getting stronger. Don't eat any more than is required to do that.

If you need the cortisol hit of cardio, then do what Tommy suggested: make it short and intense. Maybe even look into HIIT/CrossFit style workouts. But make sure that any form of cardio you do is outweighed by your resistance training. If I were your coach, I'd have you do nothing but lift weights and occasionally walk, that way you'd be very sensitive to the weight-loss effects of cardio by the time we're ready to reduce calories.

Without a pic all responses are just a guess. It should be mandatory for everyone asking for advice to post a pic on their first post. So many times once a pic is posted after the fact it becomes apparent that the advice given to the OP was way off due to OP having an unrealistic view and assessment of their body. Like they say a pic is worth a thousand words.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Without a pic all responses are just a guess. It should be mandatory for everyone asking for advice to post a pic on their first post. So many times once a pic is posted after the fact it becomes apparent that the advice given to the OP was way off due to OP having an unrealistic view and assessment of their body. Like they say a pic is worth a thousand words.
    Very true. It's hard to know what's good advice for some of these situations because we don't really know what we're dealing with at times without a picture.

What would a picture show us that we don't already know? She's 5'2", 137 lbs, and maintaining weight at 1300 calories. I think we have plenty of info to see what's going on, unless she's lying to us about her intake.