finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

LF: Advice/Guidance on Mass

I have a general question and was basically hoping that one you might be able to link or send me to a guide that can provide information on gaining mass. I'm 43, 6'2" and 193 lbs. Over the course of the last 8 months, I changed my diet, began lifting and doing regular cardio, and dropped about 7% of my body fat. At this point, I would really like to start bulking up with lean muscle mass but I'm not certain if I'm taking in enough as I'm pretty much always hungry even though I follow the 5 meals per-day concept. For training, I use the Bill Phillips program as my baseline as it's easy to track progression and I never get bored with it. That, and it worked wonders with dropping body fat.

If I'm trying to get larger but remain lean, should I consider adding a decent weight gainer to my protein shake routine? As it stands, I'm stronger now than when I was about 20 years ago but I'd really like to be larger.

Thanks!
    "I lift because punching people is frowned upon..."

Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz
    I'd start by adding about 300 calories a day to your diet. That's very conservative but see how it goes. If you're still not gaining lean mass, bump it to 500 calories a day.
    L4/L5 fusion September 2016

TDS = trump dick suckers

finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10) finalpatriot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    I'd start by adding about 300 calories a day to your diet. That's very conservative but see how it goes. If you're still not gaining lean mass, bump it to 500 calories a day.
    Sounds good. Thanks!
    "I lift because punching people is frowned upon..."

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you're always hungry, then don't drink a weight gainer, use the extra calories to eat more food.

Regarding protein shakes, I find them useful on a cut when it can be difficult to hit your protein intake with limited calories. But on a bulk I'd prefer to eat something instead.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    +rep for the amount of ribbon in that pic