J0hn90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Breathing and Bracing and the opposite of it

so i was told by everyone about breathing and bracing that its a mandatory, you breathe in you DL the weight you drop it you breathe out and breathe back in and repeat the lift . squat is breathe in go down go up breathe out and breathe in again and repeat the lift .
    I assumed that was the whole deal , take a deep breath in your stomach and lift , but now i came across Athlean X video saying breathe out and flex you abs as hard as possible and do the lift .
    what is right and wrong in this situation ?

Theres a toll in the hall SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Look up the valsalver manuever. It's more about holding breath (usually after breathing in) to brace the core.

Also, be wary of Athlean X. He likes to go against the grain as a tactic to get more clicks. Some of his advice is fine but I would suggest cross referencing anything you aren't sure of.

Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The athlean x advice is terrible. Unsurprisingly.

You'll also find you end up in a very compromised position moving anything significant weight on a squat and breathing out.

You should be properly braced while the bar is in motion.

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It seems you might have it backwards as far as what Jeff's saying OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dTRcMypNk

J0hn90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=GeneralSerpant;1595703111]It seems you might have it backwards as far as what Jeff's saying OP.

I think he might have worded it weirdly, even his comment section is confused on this and so was i , bcs from the comment section they also seemed to have understood that athlean is saying flex abs dont breathe in

nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by J0hn90 View Post
    so i was told by everyone about breathing and bracing that its a mandatory, you breathe in you DL the weight you drop it you breathe out and breathe back in and repeat the lift . squat is breathe in go down go up breathe out and breathe in again and repeat the lift .
    I assumed that was the whole deal , take a deep breath in your stomach and lift , but now i came across Athlean X video saying breathe out and flex you abs as hard as possible and do the lift .
    what is right and wrong in this situation ?
    Sounds like a good way to pass out mid lift
    The only way to do something is to do it

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by J0hn90 View Post
    I think he might have worded it weirdly, even his comment section is confused on this and so was i , bcs from the comment section they also seemed to have understood that athlean is saying flex abs dont breathe in
    Hmm. Yeah. Well I guess that is that then.