Mynameisaaron is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thoughts on my PHUL

Hello looking for feedback on the programme I've made for myself and any points for improvement if possible.

Consists of 4 workouts.
    Upper/ lower, strength/volume.
    And two phases.

First phase:
    On the squat, deadlift, bench, OHP and pendlay row add one set each week to strength days, and increase reps per set by 2 for volume days until I am at 5x5 and 3x14

Lower strength
    Squat 125kg 2x5
    Deadlift 140kg 2x5
    Leg press 3x8
    RDL 3x8
    (Possible Core work

Upper strength
    Bench 80kg 2x5
    OHP 55kg 2x5
    Pendlay Row 75kg 2x5
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Bicep curl 3x8

Lower volume
    Squat 100kg 3x8
    Deadlift 110kg 3x8
    RDL 3x8
    Leg Press 3x8
    (Possible core work)

Upper volume
    Bench 65kg 3x8
    OHP 45kg 3x8
    Pendlay Row 65kg 3x8
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Bicep Curl 3x8
    Facepulls 2x15

In the second phase I plan to keep all the accessory movements the same, but on the big 5 lower the volume back down to 3x5 for strength days and add 2.5/5kg each session.
    Then on volume days add 2.5kg per session with sets of 3x8.

This is my first time constructing my own plan and for all I know there may be alot to improve but learning to programme for myself is something I'd love to learn and I'll take any advice on board!

randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomcrash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mynameisaaron View Post
    Hello looking for feedback on the programme I've made for myself and any points for improvement if possible.

Consists of 4 workouts.
    Upper/ lower, strength/volume.
    And two phases.

First phase:
    On the squat, deadlift, bench, OHP and pendlay row add one set each week to strength days, and increase reps per set by 2 for volume days until I am at 5x5 and 3x14

Lower strength
    Squat 125kg 2x5
    Deadlift 140kg 2x5
    Leg press 3x8
    RDL 3x8
    (Possible Core work

Upper strength
    Bench 80kg 2x5
    OHP 55kg 2x5
    Pendlay Row 75kg 2x5
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Bicep curl 3x8

Lower volume
    Squat 100kg 3x8
    Deadlift 110kg 3x8
    RDL 3x8
    Leg Press 3x8
    (Possible core work)

Upper volume
    Bench 65kg 3x8
    OHP 45kg 3x8
    Pendlay Row 65kg 3x8
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Bicep Curl 3x8
    Facepulls 2x15

In the second phase I plan to keep all the accessory movements the same, but on the big 5 lower the volume back down to 3x5 for strength days and add 2.5/5kg each session.
    Then on volume days add 2.5kg per session with sets of 3x8.

This is my first time constructing my own plan and for all I know there may be alot to improve but learning to programme for myself is something I'd love to learn and I'll take any advice on board!
    Seems like it would be easier to hit 3x14 in something like rows then it would be for curls.

Mynameisaaron is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by randomcrash View Post
    Seems like it would be easier to hit 3x14 in something like rows then it would be for curls.
    In that upper workout the bench, ohp and rows will work up to 3x14 and the rest of the excercises will stay static at 3x8, apologies if I didn't make that too clear. Thought it'd be wiser to do that so the volume is still increasing but not a crazy amount I couldn't handle

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally, never been a huge fan of the PHUL set up due to lumping 'strength' and 'hypertrophy' into different days, when in reality, they're both interconnected. But the way the set up forces you into putting most of your heavier movements on the strength days and the higher rep ones on the volume days, just doesn't make sense in terms of long term progression, imo.

Thinking about your strength days, idk how likely it would be for you to keept adding weight every session when you've got squats and dealifts back to back for 3x5, followed with RDL too. Similar situation with going from 2 - > 5 sets of 5 on deadlifts after squatting. Especially given that you're not lifting novice numbers.

Personally, I would have preferred going the U/L route if you wanted to train 4x a week, which would allow you to resolve the issue since, for example, one lower day could be heavy quad (squat), followed by a lighter hamstring movement (RDL) and the other lower day could be the inverse - heavy hamstring (deadlift), lighter quad (leg press). Which I think would allow for more long term progress, while still accumulating volume.
    Redcon1 Tier Operator - T20RSid

Some lifting stuff (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161