Mystx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Clean and Jerk Help

Hey guys,

I learned how to do this with youtube videos.
    But im concerned that its not correct - or maybe i can do things better.
    in this video at home im using a standard bar to practice - but at my local gym i use the olympic bar.
    Im starting from a Hang Position because i find it uses less energy when i drill this over and over until im completely unable to do anymore.
    The part i worry about is the clean - the bouncing it off your hips. am i even doing it right?

I didnt want to submit a video with an empty bar. i feel like this lift needs some weight on here to show my incompetence lol.
    I dont have any reason to be doing this lift, other than i really like the way it looks and i find it enjoyable to try and do.
    Can anybody give me tips? what can i try do better, what am i doing wrong?

youtu.be/EU9K6QtH3_4

Thanks!

bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I can answer the question "what am I doing wrong?". The answer is everything. Thats not a clean and jerk its an injury waiting to happen. Your lift looks like some kind of hip thrust meshed with a reverse curl. If you want to "learn" the lift, use a pvc pipe or dowel till you get the form to look even somewhat correct.

Hey,

Firstly - Thanks for being 100% honest.
    It is for the best! I will take all the weight off for future attempts.

Problem is im unsure how im cleaning wrong.
    Is there too much hip thrust. if so - how do you get the bar up?
    I believe you arent supposed to use your arms to get the bar up so then you need to use your hips?

This is very confusing. The youtube tutorials ive seen suggest thrusting hard with your hips into the bar to get it to accelarate upwards - you then push yourself underneath and catch it front squat.
    I understand im Cleaning wrong. But i cant tell just how exactly

Practicing with PVC pipe wont help if i actually cant figure out how im doing it wrong.

Sorry about this - ive been deadlifting and squatting for about 1 year on 5x5 now
    and i read online that after about 1 year of proper training you could start trying C+J
    I feel strong enough for it - the weight has low chance of hurting me but i agree i should train with empty bar or pvc.

My gym does have people who can coach lifts - but i dont think any of them can coach olympic lifts. which is why im asking here.
    Its just for Personal Interest. id like to do this lift with good form for no other reason than i just want to. Its not part of my 5x5 or anything else.
    Last edited by Mystx; 01-16-2020 at 04:39 AM.

bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10) bishonen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First things first. Its obvious you don't understand the lift, which will make it impossible for you to do the lift. Learnt from youtube videos from whom? Someone who has zero credentials in either coaching, teaching or performing Olympic lifts?

Cleaning the bar requires a first pull, second pull and pulling under the bar. The object is not to do some sort of hip thrust into the bar, but to aggressively straighten your torso at the top the "deadlift" or first pull. This causes the bar to accelerate upwards. Then the bar is explosively pulled up, with the bar staying as close to the body as possible, using the muscles of the upper back and traps to further accelerate the bar. Once the bar has achieved its max height, you pull under the bar to catch the bar on your shoulders, using the squatting motion as a "shock absorber" for the weight. A beginner should learn to clean with no hip contact to the bar at all, but focus on keeping the bar as close to the body as possible.

I need to start somewhere on your attempt at a split jerk, so I'll start with the fact that your attempting to do a split jerk on an uneven floor. Luck only lasts for so long.

As a beginner you should learn how to power jerk and become proficient at that and then look to learn the split jerk

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's nothing like getting personal instruction.
    It will be hard to know exactly when you need to improve on when you can't ask questions or have a qualified eye watching you.
    This forum maybe should add an olympic lifting section as they do with powerlifting.
    Oly lifting is very technical and an incorrect part of the lifting sequence makes the lift inefficient.
    I would seek out a qualified olympic lifting coach to clean up your clean and jerk.
    My two from your video is the bar after the hip pop is to far away from your body for a good clean.

jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mystx View Post
    Hey guys,

I learned how to do this with youtube videos.
    But im concerned that its not correct - or maybe i can do things better.
    in this video at home im using a standard bar to practice - but at my local gym i use the olympic bar.
    Im starting from a Hang Position because i find it uses less energy when i drill this over and over until im completely unable to do anymore.
    The part i worry about is the clean - the bouncing it off your hips. am i even doing it right?

I didnt want to submit a video with an empty bar. i feel like this lift needs some weight on here to show my incompetence lol.
    I dont have any reason to be doing this lift, other than i really like the way it looks and i find it enjoyable to try and do.
    Can anybody give me tips? what can i try do better, what am i doing wrong?

youtu.be/EU9K6QtH3_4

Thanks!
    You’re making the absolute classic mistake with this movement. Look how far away from your body the bar is on your clean. You need to almost scraped your chest and almost hit your nose before you pivot underneath the bar.

Use a non-weighted bar to practice. Keep that bar really close to your body. The mistake you’re making is very common and you are basically muscling it up with a lot of shoulder activation, forearms and so forth.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!
    I have reached out to an instructor and made a booking for next week to go over Clean and Jerk.
    after reading the replies i can see what im doing wrong, thanks everybody!