S0UND is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I've lost a stone (14lbs) in 14 days (Intermittent Fasting Works!)

Hello Everyone.

I'm a 27 y/o former runner who for the most part has been out of the game for about 5 years due to repeated calf injuries and general Laziness.
    At 22/23 y/o, I weighed around 12 Stone 5lbs, i also ran 10ks around 3 - 4 times a week around this period and was in the best shape of my life.

After Christmas and New year that have just passed, i decided that I was going to get back in shape by sorting my diet out and gradually introducing some cardio to my routine.

I had listened to various Podcasts over the last couple of years praising the benefits of intermittent fasting and how it aids in weight loss. So i decided i was going to give it a go.
    During the last 2 weeks, I've put myself at a (slight) Calorie Deficit, but have consumed all those calories in one sitting at approximately 1pm every day.

For the initial few weeks, I decided i was only going to do a light to moderate level of exercise (an hour of light cardio 2 - 3 times a week). Many times before, i had made the mistake of trying to re-introduce the running as if i had never quit in the first place. Inevitably this led to muscle strains and injuries, for i was trying to complete intense running exercises that i regularly did years prior, but now 2 Stones Heavier.

I started out with an initial weigh-in and photo on the 1st of January this year, and to my disgust i had let myself go all the way up to 15 Stone 2lbs. I wasn't very surprised though as I've been living a very stationary and sedentary lifestyle over last few years.

Many nutritionists and Personal Trainers will tell you NOT to weigh yourself daily, and for the life of me i can't understand why because i think it's a great way to monitor where you're at with weight loss and hydration levels.
    I weighed myself and ticked my calendar off every day to keep myself focused in on what i was trying to achieve, and this morning (15/01/2020) i took a second picture and compared it with the first (See Photos at bottom)

This morning i weighed 14 stone 2 pounds.

A couple of my friends have told me that "I'm doing it too fast" - but honestly, i know for sure that I'm consuming enough calories and that this drastic weight loss is more down to the drastic change in lifestyle over the last couple of weeks than it is about me not consuming enough food.

For sure, i have swapped out pizzas and bread for Lean Chicken and Vegetables - but I am eating A LOT still. It all goes to show that what you eat is just as important as how much of it you eat.

I fully expect this weight loss to slow down over the next 14 days, the initial couple of weeks are always the ones you lose most due to water weight etc. but damn i'm quite happy with my progress so far.

I wasn't in a very good place mentally when i started this 2 weeks ago, but i can honestly say that I'm already feeling SO much better. So if you're struggling with your weight and on the fence about doing something about it, just do it! you will feel so much better in no time!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by S0UND; 01-15-2020 at 04:14 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's good that you made a start but you have to realise that a lot of that is probably water, food in transit and glycogen (even more so if you are using relatively low carb intake).

What will be important is your results from this point on. Don't be suprised if it drops off dramatically. Weight loss is seldom nice and linear.

When you have more data (excluding the initial water weight loss) then start to make adjustments - don't try to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week or you risk muscle loss.

You should really be counting calorie so you can make meaningful adjustments based on results so far.

By the way, it's no intermittent fasting that produced the results - it's a plain old calorie deficit. Although IF can help you regulate your appetite.

I didn't spot any mention of training but I hope you are doing a decent weight training program - otherwise part of your loss could be muscle (which gives up mass more cheaply than fat does)

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's good that you made a start but you have to realise that a lot of that is probably water, food in transit and glycogen (even more so if you are using relatively low carb intake).

What will be important is your results from this point on. Don't be suprised if it drops off dramatically. Weight loss is seldom nice and linear.

When you have more data (excluding the initial water weight loss) then start to make adjustments - don't try to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week or you risk muscle loss.

You should really be counting calorie so you can make meaningful adjustments based on results so far.

By the way, it's no intermittent fasting that produced the results - it's a plain old calorie deficit. Although IF can help you regulate your appetite.

I didn't spot any mention of training but I hope you are doing a decent weight training program - otherwise part of your loss could be muscle (which gives up mass more cheaply than fat does)
    All noted and all very good points!

Like i say, i fully expect it to slow down now. In fact, it already has done for the last 3 - 4 days.

As for lifting weights - it's not really my thing. I'd be happy to incorporate some mat work into my routine (Phushups, Planks, Squats and what not) - but the whole point of this is to get me back into a shape where i can run again, not to get me to look like Bill Goldberg. As it stands - I'm just too heavy for running.

Calorie Counting - I'm consuming somewhere bwetween 1500 - 1800 calories in a day, which puts me at a deficit, but I am by no means starving lol

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I'm afraid that you will lose muscle mass if you don't do weight training, especially at a 1000+ deficit and (I'm guessing) without special attention paid to protein intake.

Your scale weight will come down fast but the end results won't be how you might imagine - your shape won't change much, just be a smaller version of your current self. It's also more likely that you get rebound fat gain after you reach your target.

This is one of the principle reasons why people fail to keep weight off in the long term...

You don't have to be a bodybuilding fanatic, just do enough to prevent this scenario.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by S0UND View Post
    All noted and all very good points!

Like i say, i fully expect it to slow down now. In fact, it already has done for the last 3 - 4 days.

As for lifting weights - it's not really my thing. I'd be happy to incorporate some mat work into my routine (Phushups, Planks, Squats and what not) - but the whole point of this is to get me back into a shape where i can run again, not to get me to look like Bill Goldberg. As it stands - I'm just too heavy for running.

Calorie Counting - I'm consuming somewhere bwetween 1500 - 1800 calories in a day, which puts me at a deficit, but I am by no means starving lol
    Nobody is suggesting that you weight train in order to change your looks. Bottom line, you need to do it (or other progressive resistance exercise) in order to maintain your muscle mass. As a 27 yo, that might not seem like a big deal but wait a few years until the older people in your life start becoming progressively more incapacitated due to muscle loss and you'll change your story.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I'm afraid that you will lose muscle mass if you don't do weight training, especially at a 1000+ deficit and (I'm guessing) without special attention paid to protein intake.

Your scale weight will come down fast but the end results won't be how you might imagine - your shape won't change much, just be a smaller version of your current self. It's also more likely that you get rebound fat gain after you reach your target.

This is one of the principle reasons why people fail to keep weight off in the long term...

You don't have to be a bodybuilding fanatic, just do enough to prevent this scenario.
    Gotcha! Thanks for your input. I will bring this on board

schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by S0UND View Post
    Gotcha! Thanks for your input. I will bring this on board
    Nice job with the initial loss!

I weigh about 15 stone, or 96kg, and running is still very enjoyable for me. But Weights is where its at if you want to not only feel good/strong but look great also.

Maybe just start with a program which uses your body weight and as you mentioned situps/planks etc. Strength training i found was invaluble to my running also.