GinoDominique has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I (still) on the right track?

Hi all,

Around July 2019 we had a dietician at our office and we could get our stats checked. So I did and knew I gained weight the last couple of years. The last time I worked out was around 2011 (@67kg / 12% bodyfat).

MY STATS

Male
    33 years old
    176 cm / 5 ft 9
    Starting weight 82kg / 180,75 lbs @ 24% bodyfat (or 19,75kg) summer 2019
    Bone mass around 3kg (still is )

After this weigh in I got the advice to work out again. So I did on my own and lost a couple of pounds without the proper diet and training.

After a month or two of slow progress I decided to go to a professional dietician and personal trainer to guide me in the right direction. My goal is to get to around 12% bodyfat. The first weigh in was on October 8th 2019. I started working out based on his advice on October 14th 2019.

Fast forward: I went from around 175lbs to 161lbs in 12 weeks, but from week 7 to 12 my bodyfat stayed the about same (around 29lbs) even though I went into a lower deficit during this period of time. From week 1 to week 12 i lost around 10/11 lbs of fat, but if I base it on the scale alone, this loss was mainly from the first 6-7 weeks (around 1 - 1,25lbs a week). My dietician uses a Tanita BC545N to weigh me every time.

Here are my stats so far.

Dietician and personal trainer
    First weigh in October 8th, 2019

79 kg / 174,2 lbs
    Fat: scale 22,2% / caliper 23,3% (fat scale: 17,5 kg / 18,5 kg)
    Musclemass 58,4 kg / 128,75 lbs
    Waist 91cm / 35,83 inch

Intake: 2300kcal // 40% carb – 30% – protein – 30% fats

Second weigh in November 12th, 2019

72,7 kg / 160,3 lbs
    16,6% / 22,35% (fat scale: 12 kg / 16,25 kg)
    Musclemass 57,6 kg / 127 lbs
    Waist 89cm / 35,04 inch

Intake 2100kcal // 40% carb – 30% – protein – 30% fats

Third weigh in November 24th, 2019

73kg / 160,9 lbs
    Fat: scale 18,3% caliper 22,15% (13,6kg / 16,2kg)
    Musclemass: 56,6kg / 124,75 lbs
    Waist 89cm / 35,04 inch

Intake 1800kcl // 40% carb – 30% – protein – 30% fats

Fourth weigh in January 7th, 2020

74,2kg / 163,6lbs
    Fat: scale 17,5% / caliper: 20,9% (13kg / 14,9kg)
    Musclemass: 58,1kg / 128 lbs
    Waist 87cm / 34,25 inch

Bodywater is around 41kg / 90lbs (about 55-57,5% during the whole time)

My dietician advised to keep my intake on 1800kcal, but change the macro’s to 25% carbs – 45% protein – 30% fats

During the holidays and New year’s I didn’t track my macros very well. These were about three or four days of eating above my deficit.

My diet exist from
    - Whole grain oats
    - Eggs (mostly whites, only 3-4 whole eggs a week)
    - Whole grain bread (protein bread)
    - Almonds or walnuts (mostly almonds because they’re cheap over here)
    - Sweet potatoes (I don’t like regular potatoes)
    - Whole grain brown rice (sometimes whole grain pasta)
    - Broccoli, garden peas, soybeans, avocado
    - Chicken/turkey breast, steak, fish (salmon, tuna, cod)
    - Blueberry’s (100-150gr a day)
    - Cottage cheese (around 250gr an hour before bedtime)
    - Whey protein powder after training (around 35-40gr, no other supplements)
    - I cook with butter.

I almost don’t drink any alcohol. Occasionally I have a whiskey, but only if it fits in my daily kcal. I don’t smoke or do drugs.

I work in an office from 8:30am – 5:00pm on weekdays. My workout starts at around 5:30pm till 7:00 including cardio. I take an Whey shake after my workout (around 35-40 grams of protein). I eat my dinner around 8:00 which exist from 25% carbs – 45% protein – 30% fats . (Is this too much protein this fast after the shake?)

I do mostly “heavy” (I’m not that strong) compound lifts and avoid the machines where I can. I notice my strength has gone up for some workouts, except bench press. I was advised to do supersets and the trainer made a routine for me.

I try to get two muscle groups a week with this routine:
    CHEST/ARMS
    LEGS
    REST (ABS)
    BACK/SHOULDERS
    REST (ABS)
    CHEST/ARMS
    LEGS
    REST (ABS)
    BACK/SHOULDERS

I don’t know my one rep max for all the exercises because I don’t have a spotter anymore. I know my one rep max for DL = 200 lbs.

I can do the following sets including bar weight at the moment.
    INCLINE BENCH: 8x 135lbs
    BENCH: 8x155 lbs
    OVERHEAD PRESS: 8x80lbs
    SQUAT: 8x135lbs
    PULL UP: around 5 clean ones (bought resistance bands two weeks ago to up this number)

I do 20 min LISS after a workout. Mostly treadmill uphill on a 10 – 15% incline with 5% incline intervals @ 3,4 – 4 m/h. On rest days I try to do a 20min HIIT workout on the treadmill @ 4m/h – 10m/h intervals for 20 min.

Most of the time I get a 30 min walk on a normal pace during my lunchbreak on weekdays

I get around 10k steps a day with cardio included.

I track my intakes via MyFitnessPall and track my workouts via BodySpace.

CONCERNS
    So my main concern is the bodyfat percentage isn’t going down or at least, is going down at a very very slow rate. Not the 0,5-2lbs a week but more like 0,1 - 0,2lbs a week on a (more than) 500kcal deficit.

I don’t cheat and if I do, I add the cheat meal in my macro’s so I stick to the 1800kcal a day restriction. I don’t eat sauces with my food.

Everything I eat I weigh and add to my macro’s.

At this point my daily macro’s exist from around (at least) 160-200 grams of protein (0,8-1gr per lbs), 110-140grams of carbs, 60-80 grams of fats. This equals to around 1780-1850 kcal.

QUESTIONS
    Am I still on the right track? My dietician said so even though I only lost about 2lbs of bodyfat in six weeks. This feels wrong. Should I lower my calories even further even tho my BMR is at around 1700-1750? My TDEE is around 2300-2500 according to my dietician.

Or is my deficit too big and should I up my daily intake? If yes, to what number?

Should I follow a different routine? Which one should you advise?

Should I use extra supplements? If yes, what kind?

Any other tips to lose more fat and keep my muscle mass about the same?

Thanks in advance for any advise, tips and tricks to help me on my fatloss journey!

GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some basic pieces of info I'll give you, feel free to use it but it's what has been working for me...

- Track your calories accurately.
    - If your TDEE is at 2300-2500 calories, I'd start at around 2100 calories daily. If your weight doesn't change for 3 weeks then drop your calories by 100 and continue.
    - Keep your protein to a minimum of 0.82g per lb of bodyweight, fats at a minimum of 0.4g per lb of bodyweight, fill in the rest with carbs.
    - Monitor your weight on a daily basis using a standard weighing scale, after you've been to the bathroom ideally, no matter what it says, log it and don't think about it and move on, daily weight fluctuates all the time.
    - Average out your daily weigh ins throughout the week and get a weekly average, this is your actual weight you care about.
    - Follow a proven weight training program, ideally 3x a week full body would be best.
    - Throw in a couple cardio days if you want to speed up weight loss progress.
    - For each 10lbs you lose, drop your calories by 100.

It all sounds complicated but once you have it down, it's easy.

Originally Posted by GingeyBreadDev View Post
    Some basic pieces of info I'll give you, feel free to use it but it's what has been working for me...

- Track your calories accurately.
    - If your TDEE is at 2300-2500 calories, I'd start at around 2100 calories daily. If your weight doesn't change for 3 weeks then drop your calories by 100 and continue.
    - Keep your protein to a minimum of 0.82g per lb of bodyweight, fats at a minimum of 0.4g per lb of bodyweight, fill in the rest with carbs.
    - Monitor your weight on a daily basis using a standard weighing scale, after you've been to the bathroom ideally, no matter what it says, log it and don't think about it and move on, daily weight fluctuates all the time.
    - Average out your daily weigh ins throughout the week and get a weekly average, this is your actual weight you care about.
    - Follow a proven weight training program, ideally 3x a week full body would be best.
    - Throw in a couple cardio days if you want to speed up weight loss progress.
    - For each 10lbs you lose, drop your calories by 100.

It all sounds complicated but once you have it down, it's easy.
    Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention I bought a scale first week of January (Withings Body+) and have been monitoring my body fat which is consitently sticking at 13-14kgs. But it only has been 10 days with this scale.

I'm tracking my macro's with a minimum of 0.82g protein per lb and 0.4g fats per lb.

Second, I have already dropping calories consistantly during the 12 week program. And thats the whole point. Went from 2300->2100->1750/1850. Now im still on 1800 and didn't lose nearly any fat (around 0,6kg) in five weeks as the first six-seven weeks. So this is the main issue. Am I too low in calories that my metabolism slowed down too much? Or am I still too high and do I need to go even lower?

I have read all the basics the last couple of weeks before I made this post and my dietician guided me through those basic steps, but now I feel i reached a plateau even tho I think my routine, cardio en deficit is alright.

GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50) GingeyBreadDev will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GinoDominique View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention I bought a scale first week of January (Withings Body+) and have been monitoring my body fat which is consitently sticking at 13-14kgs. But it only has been 10 days with this scale.

I'm tracking my macro's with a minimum of 0.82g protein per lb and 0.4g fats per lb.

Second, I have already dropping calories consistantly during the 12 week program. And thats the whole point. Went from 2300->2100->1750/1850. Now im still on 1800 and didn't lose nearly any fat (around 0,6kg) in five weeks as the first six-seven weeks. So this is the main issue. Am I too low in calories that my metabolism slowed down too much? Or am I still too high and do I need to go even lower?

I have read all the basics the last couple of weeks before I made this post and my dietician guided me through those basic steps, but now I feel i reached a plateau even tho I think my routine, cardio en deficit is alright.
    You don't really have to worry about a slowing down metabolism, if you're not losing weight than just drop your calories, by a simple 100 can start to get things shifting.

faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) faithbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    imo you're making it complicated with all the numbers, weigh ins and macro percentages. below is an example of something in your post that caught my eye
    Originally Posted by GinoDominique View Post
    I do 20 min LISS after a workout. Mostly treadmill uphill on a 10 – 15% incline with 5% incline intervals @ 3,4 – 4 m/h. On rest days I try to do a 20min HIIT workout on the treadmill @ 4m/h – 10m/h intervals for 20 min.
    do you enjoy doing this or are you mainly doing it because you believe it makes a difference for fat loss? what i'm trying to say is that you don't need to use a certain speed or resistance when you do cardio. it doesn't need to be a carefully laid out cardio plan to be useful. also going by the mirror and measuring your progress on compound lifts seems to be the best way to see a difference
    positive crew

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    imo you're making it complicated with all the numbers, weigh ins and macro percentages. below is an example of something in your post that caught my eye
    do you enjoy doing this or are you mainly doing it because you believe it makes a difference for fat loss? what i'm trying to say is that you don't need to use a certain speed or resistance when you do cardio. it doesn't need to be a carefully laid out cardio plan to be useful. also going by the mirror and measuring your progress on compound lifts seems to be the best way to see a difference
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I got this plan from the trainer/dietician. I like to do the HIIT workout like 1-2 per week. I don't like to do cardio that much, but he told me to do at least 20 min of running every day. The first weeks it gave results, but after lowering my calories, the results stayed out.. So I'm stuck on 18% fat even tho I think I see more definition in the mirror.