Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unable to laterally raise my right arm without shrugging

Do any of the anatomy guys know what this could be? When i was very young i threw a medicine ball and immediately ****ed something in my shoulder. I knew it right away. i had cold sweats and could not throw a baseball well after. Anyway, no MRI back then, some doc said i had messed up my shoulder capsule. I was young. I doubt it ever healed properly.

Fast forward twenty some odd years and now as the title says, i cannot raise my arm laterally (even without weights) without shrugging (engaging my traps) to get the arm moving. So what could this be? A rotator cuff tear that never healed properly? what can i do about it now? I use a very short ROM when doing lateral raises to keep my traps out of it. thanks.
    Last edited by ArnoldHAMnEGGer; 01-14-2020 at 10:29 PM.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should see a doc and get that overdue MRI to diagnose the issue, but as far as lateral raises have you tried holding onto something and leaning outward when you do them?

The change in angle changes the starting point past that initial ROM where you likely need to shrug (where the movement doesn't engage the side delts anyway). Not sure if that would help for that one exercise.

Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArnoldHAMnEGGer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You should see a doc and get that overdue MRI to diagnose the issue, but as far as lateral raises have you tried holding onto something and leaning outward when you do them?

The change in angle changes the starting point past that initial ROM where you likely need to shrug (where the movement doesn't engage the side delts anyway). Not sure if that would help for that one exercise.
    i have tried that actually. after a certain point, pretty early on in the movement the shrugging starts. it drives me nuts but i can't stop. just can't get my arm up that high without doing it. my right deltoid actually looks slightly deformed and is not as round my left. would an mri even show anything at this point? we're talking about 25 years after the initial injury.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ArnoldHAMnEGGer View Post
    would an mri even show anything at this point? we're talking about 25 years after the initial injury.
    It'll show the current state of your shoulder however the injury healed - bones, tissues, etc. It won't show condition immediately post-injury, but a good ortho after an MRI should give you an idea what the problem is and whether you can address it with physical therapy or otherwise.

At least it'll be better than ppl on here guessing randomly.