Silas12125 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout I have been doing for a while now, tips and suggestions

Hi! I am 23 male who has been exercising now for about two years and lifting relatively seriously for about 10 months.

Workout routine
    I used to do 5x8 but recently upped my weights and went back down to a 5x5. I workout at a PF so there is no way to get a good deadlift in. Would love to hear what I am missing, but have made incredible progress with this. Lifiting for about a year (kettle bells and yoga for like 4 months 5x a weekbefore I had access to a gym). Put on about 20ish pounds of muscle. I am around 13-16% body fat.

Day A:

Bench 5x5 (incline, normal)

Curls 5x5

Flys 5x5

Pull ups 5x5

Dips 5x5

Lat pull down 5x5

Mountain Climbers :100

Ab Machine : 100

15-20min jog at an incline

Day B:

Shoulder Press 5x5

Leg Press 5x5

Squat 5x5

Tricep Rope Pulls 5x5

Reverse grip hammer pull 5x5

Barbell curls 5x5

Seated low row 5x5

Wieghted oblique crunches 50

Ab machine : 100

15-20min job at incline

Day C:

Rest, 45- 60min of cardio, or hot yoga

nomoreluke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Silas12125 View Post
    Hi! I am 23 male who has been exercising now for about two years and lifting relatively seriously for about 10 months.

Workout routine
    I used to do 5x8 but recently upped my weights and went back down to a 5x5. I workout at a PF so there is no way to get a good deadlift in. Would love to hear what I am missing, but have made incredible progress with this. Lifiting for about a year (kettle bells and yoga for like 4 months 5x a weekbefore I had access to a gym). Put on about 20ish pounds of muscle. I am around 13-16% body fat.

Day A:

Bench 5x5 (incline, normal)

Curls 5x5

Flys 5x5

Pull ups 5x5

Dips 5x5

Lat pull down 5x5

Mountain Climbers :100

Ab Machine : 100

15-20min jog at an incline

Day B:

Shoulder Press 5x5

Leg Press 5x5

Squat 5x5

Tricep Rope Pulls 5x5

Reverse grip hammer pull 5x5

Barbell curls 5x5

Seated low row 5x5

Wieghted oblique crunches 50

Ab machine : 100

15-20min job at incline

Day C:

Rest, 45- 60min of cardio, or hot yoga
    There are a few things that I would DEFINITELY change. The main ones being the isolation exercises so early in your session. For example:

On Mondays, you perform bicep curls before pull ups and lat pulldowns? You're exhausting your biceps, which will limit your ability to perform the more important compound movements. Leave isolation exercises until the end. My guess is that, by that point, they'll be pretty blasted anyway.

The other thing is that, if you're doing 5x5 training, that seems like a LOT of volume to back into one training session. The lower rep ranges in a 5x5 routine lend themselves to longer rest periods between sets, since you're likely going pretty heavy. You should be looking for a minimum of 3 minutes between sets. That puts you at a minimum of 90 minutes, before you even begin the ab focussed exercises, then you do cardio for 20 minutes - my guess is that you're in the gym for around 2 hours if your rest periods are right. I would chuck some of those sets out and move them to an extra day. You've got more than enough exercises there to fill a 3 day block.

Also, I'm not sure of the value of, for example, pull ups and lat pulldowns on the same day, with the same rep range. It's an almost identical movement - vary it a little and maybe swap the lat pulldowns for straight arm pulldowns, with maybe slightly higher rep ranges (8-12).

Day 2 is equally strange - leg press before a squat? Again, you're pre-exhausting your quads. You should be putting all your intensity and focus into the squat - I'd move that to the top of that routine, before the shoulder press.

Again, you have isolation movements before compound lifts. That's fine if you're pre-fatiguing for hypertrophy but if you were, you wouldn't be using a 5x5 routine.

Move all your isolation exercises (curls, tricep rope pulls, etc.) to the end of your routine and up the rep range.

In my opinion, you have FAR too many 5x5 sets in there. Strength training (which is what you're aiming for with that rep range) taxes your nervous system heavily. You're going to fry it with that many sets at that weight and rep range. Also important to reduce the reps occasionally. What I have done in the past (to great effect) is something along the lines of:

Week 1: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps
    Week 2: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps - progressive overload from previous week if possible
    Week 3: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, 2 reps - increase weight for each of the last 3 sets
    Week 4: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep - increase weight for each of the last 3 sets so you are close to your 1 RM on the final set
    Last edited by nomoreluke; 01-14-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Silas12125 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nomoreluke View Post
    There are a few things that I would DEFINITELY change. The main ones being the isolation exercises so early in your session. For example:

On Mondays, you perform bicep curls before pull ups and lat pulldowns? You're exhausting your biceps, which will limit your ability to perform the more important compound movements. Leave isolation exercises until the end. My guess is that, by that point, they'll be pretty blasted anyway.

The other thing is that, if you're doing 5x5 training, that seems like a LOT of volume to back into one training session. The lower rep ranges in a 5x5 routine lend themselves to longer rest periods between sets, since you're likely going pretty heavy. You should be looking for a minimum of 3 minutes between sets. That puts you at a minimum of 90 minutes, before you even begin the ab focussed exercises, then you do cardio for 20 minutes - my guess is that you're in the gym for around 2 hours if your rest periods are right. I would chuck some of those sets out and move them to an extra day. You've got more than enough exercises there to fill a 3 day block.

Also, I'm not sure of the value of, for example, pull ups and lat pulldowns on the same day, with the same rep range. It's an almost identical movement - vary it a little and maybe swap the lat pulldowns for straight arm pulldowns, with maybe slightly higher rep ranges (8-12).

Day 2 is equally strange - leg press before a squat? Again, you're pre-exhausting your quads. You should be putting all your intensity and focus into the squat - I'd move that to the top of that routine, before the shoulder press.

Again, you have isolation movements before compound lifts. That's fine if you're pre-fatiguing for hypertrophy but if you were, you wouldn't be using a 5x5 routine.

Move all your isolation exercises (curls, tricep rope pulls, etc.) to the end of your routine and up the rep range.

In my opinion, you have FAR too many 5x5 sets in there. Strength training (which is what you're aiming for with that rep range) taxes your nervous system heavily. You're going to fry it with that many sets at that weight and rep range. Also important to reduce the reps occasionally. What I have done in the past (to great effect) is something along the lines of:

Week 1: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps
    Week 2: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps - progressive overload from previous week if possible
    Week 3: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, 2 reps - increase weight for each of the last 3 sets
    Week 4: 5 sets - 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep - increase weight for each of the last 3 sets so you are close to your 1 RM on the final set
    This is all really good advice! and you hit the head on the nail for about how long I am in the gym for. Thank you so much! I will move the isolation exercises to the end of the exercise and move the compound exercises up. Also to note that I don't lift the same wieght for the 5x5 usually when it comes to the compound exercises but start lower to warm of then sustain a higher for about 3 sets. If you were to split this into a 3 day block what would you recommend it look like? I am wanting to go for size and strength gain, should i go back up to 6-8 reps a set? thank you so much in advance

Originally Posted by Silas12125 View Post
    This is all really good advice! and you hit the head on the nail for about how long I am in the gym for. Thank you so much! I will move the isolation exercises to the end of the exercise and move the compound exercises up. Also to note that I don't lift the same wieght for the 5x5 usually when it comes to the compound exercises but start lower to warm of then sustain a higher for about 3 sets. If you were to split this into a 3 day block what would you recommend it look like? I am wanting to go for size and strength gain, should i go back up to 6-8 reps a set? thank you so much in advance
    No worries at all mate. If I were you, I'd stick to the lower rep ranges for the main lifts. There are a couple of reasons for this...

Firstly, a LOT of strength increases (at least initially) are the result of an improvement in your nervous system's ability to actually activate the muscle and push the weight. In order for your nervous system to adapt to this, you actually NEED to push (or pull) that increased weight. Higher rep ranges are great if your ONLY goal is hypertrophy (muscle building) but it will obviously reduce the max weight that you actually lift.

Secondly, if it's relatively early days in the gym, technique and intensity are HUGELY important. It's much easier (in my opinion) to focus on both of those things at lower rep ranges. You can really make sure that every rep of every set is performed correctly and with maximum intensity, which brings me onto my next point...

You say that your first few sets are basically "warm up" sets. If you're doing a 5x5 routine, those 5 sets should be at (or at least near) maximum intensity and they shouldn't include your warm up sets. There's nothing wrong with adding a few kg to a lift if you feel your first set (for example) is at less that your max effort but make every rep in EVERY set count!! Perform your warm up sets BEFORE your 5 working sets. The way I do it is usually somewhere along the lines of:

5-10 mins on a rower, then...
    Dynamic stretching, then...
    10 reps at 50% of your working sets - focus on perfect technique, at a moderate speed
    45 secs rest
    10 reps at 50% of your working sets - focus on technique but also moving the weight more quickly - exploding with each rep
    45 secs rest
    5 reps at 75% of your working sets - focus on technique and the stretch in the muscle
    45 secs rest
    1 rep at 90% of your working sets - this is to really focus your mind on what's about to come

If you're training 3 days a week, it might be worth either:

Full body training 3x per week (this is what I'd choose because, ideally, you want to be working each muscle at least twice a week).

or...

A Push/Pull/Legs routine - I would suggest that, in order to maximise a Push/Pull/Leg routine, you ought to be training 6x per week but it might work for you.

My preference would be the full body routine though and I'd lay it out something like this:

Day 1:

- Barbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 minute rest intervals
    - Single Arm Bent Over Row - 3 sets of 10 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Straight Arm Pulldown - 3 sets of 8 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Dumbbell/Barbell Lunges - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift - 3 sets of 8 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Superset 1 - 3 sets of 10 reps, 90 second rest intervals after 2nd exercise in superset:
    ---- Dips
    ---- EZ Bar Bicep Curls
    - Superset 2 - 3 sets of 12 reps, 90 second rest intervals after 2nd exercise in superset:
    ---- Cable Face Pulls
    ---- Cable Crunch

Day 2:

- Back Squat - 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 minute rest intervals
    - Barbell Hip Thrusters - 3 sets of 10 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Dumbbell Decline Bench Press - 3 sets of 8 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Chest-supported T-Bar Row - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 8 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Lat Pulldown - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Superset - 3 sets of 12 reps, 90 second rest intervals after 2nd exercise in superset:
    ---- Cable Face Pulls
    ---- Exercise Ball Crunch

Day 3:

- Pull Ups - 3 sets of 5 reps, 3 minute rest intervals
    - Dumbbell Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Shrugs - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Arnold Press - 3 sets of 10 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Front Squat - 3 sets of 12 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Lying Leg Curl - 3 sets of 10 reps, 2 minute rest intervals
    - Superset 1 - 3 sets of 12 reps, 90 second rest intervals after 2nd exercise in superset:
    ---- Dumbbell Floor Press
    ---- Dumbbell Bicep Curl
    - Superset 2 - 3 sets of 12 reps, 90 second rest intervals after 2nd exercise in superset:
    ---- Cable Face Pulls
    ---- Hanging Leg Raises

You can obviously change some of that around and substitute exercises to suit your preferences and your gym facilities but you get the idea. Basically, you are hitting each muscle group just once each day. This does work slightly better as a 5 day routine because you end up with 15 (or so) sets per muscle group, which is where you ideally need to be aiming. There is a specific strength focus on the first compound lift of the day but it's important that you REALLY focus on keeping the intensity up as much as possible throughout the entire workout. Another benefit of this is that you don't need extended rest periods between different exercises because you'll be working a different muscle group each time so, whenever possible, set up the next exercise during one of your rest periods so you can move straight to it once you've completed your sets.

As a sidenote, I've removed the 5x5 training because I think that, for a workout plan like this, 5 sets is likely to result in you being too fatigued. Once your progress though, you might want to increase the sets. If you can get to the gym 5x per week though, a full body daily routine works incredibly well because you don't need to increase the number of sets, which means that you can give each lift your full attention and keep intensity peaked.

These routines should be "completable" in about 75 minutes, which is about where you need to be - you don't want to go much longer than that. You can also play around with supersetting a few more of the lifts if you find you are struggling to get them completed within 75 minutes. Personally, I don't like supersetting because I always feel that intensity suffers.

One final point that I find is useful, especially with the lower rep strength work is... Before you start the lift, just sit there for 30 seconds and visualise yourself completing each rep. Literally imagine you're doing it. Go into the lift confident (in your mind at least) that you've already lifted it. If you ever go into low rep work thinking "Hmm, I'll probably only get 4 reps here...", the chances are that you'll only lift 4 reps. Condition your mind to remove that doubt and you'll perform better with every lift. Sounds like some hippy bullsh*t but it genuinely works - your brain plays SUCH an important role, ESPECIALLY in strength training.
    Last edited by nomoreluke; 01-15-2020 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Extra thought...

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    not sure if I'm repeating anything the other guy said cause it was too long to read

but I think you are just taking 5x5 to the extreme here. Reserve that rep scheme for your compound/main movements. Accumulate some volume with your other lifts through a different rep range.

For example I would probably use a 3x10 scheme for your curls, lat pulldowns, flies and dips. You're already doing a 5x5 with bench so a 5x5 with dips if you want to get anything out of it will need to be heavy as well. 5x5 flies also means you probably have to go really heavy with these which I don't really recommend, you just really want to do these for the weighted stretch for volume. Lat pulldowns and pullups on the same day is pretty redundant, pick one or the other. Curls before lat/upper back movements will likely limit your effectiveness on those movements.

Same thing with leg pressing, triceps and rows. Leg pressing before squats probably isn't great either.

just my opinion, take what you want from it. If you can't do regular deadlifts do a romanian deadlift, you do lack a main hamstring movement and i'd probably do some leg curls as well to better balance your quad exercises.

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    not sure if I'm repeating anything the other guy said cause it was too long to read

but I think you are just taking 5x5 to the extreme here. Reserve that rep scheme for your compound/main movements. Accumulate some volume with your other lifts through a different rep range.

For example I would probably use a 3x10 scheme for your curls, lat pulldowns, flies and dips. You're already doing a 5x5 with bench so a 5x5 with dips if you want to get anything out of it will need to be heavy as well. 5x5 flies also means you probably have to go really heavy with these which I don't really recommend, you just really want to do these for the weighted stretch for volume. Lat pulldowns and pullups on the same day is pretty redundant, pick one or the other. Curls before lat/upper back movements will likely limit your effectiveness on those movements.

Same thing with leg pressing, triceps and rows. Leg pressing before squats probably isn't great either.

just my opinion, take what you want from it. If you can't do regular deadlifts do a romanian deadlift, you do lack a main hamstring movement and i'd probably do some leg curls as well to better balance your quad exercises.
    Charming

Yep, pretty much the same advice - don't need all those 5x5 sets - I limited them to the main strength focus lift each day. And, even then, cut them to 3 sets.