thafiona13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Only feeling one side working

Hello there, I am currently 16 and female and have been in the gym for almost a year but have started training seriously for a few months now.
    My problem is that when I do certain exercises, such as the lat pulldown specifically, I only feel one side working. For example, when doing the lat pulldowns, I can pull the bar down but I'm only feeling a stretch in my left side, my right side dosent feel as active.
    I was wondering how I can fix this problem or will it get fixed overtime? My friend suggested that maybe it is caused because my right side is much stronger and therefore it dosent need to work as hard to pull.
    Any suggestions would help, thank you!

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's possible your friend is right, but either way whatever imbalance you're feeling will get fixed over time as you develop more muscle.

In the meantime if you want to make sure both sides are equally active, do unilateral work. For example with lat pulldowns, take off the bar attachment and just use a single handle and do variations for each side separately.

That way you guarantee both sides are working hard and one side can't be dominating the movement.

MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Think it's normal, I have the same thing. In fact, almost every muscle I have is a slightly different size. My right quad is bigger than my left quad, my left pec is bigger than my right pec, etc (probably only noticable to me).

I would just carry on and your less dominant side will catch up. When I do a two arm lat pull down, the way I think of it is this: "Could I have done that weight single handed?" If the answer is no, then both sides are still working.

Josh4010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you are working out be sure to use the mind muscle connection. Actively think about the muscle contracting and squeeze when you are contracting the muscle.