arz14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Would lowering body fat percentage lower gains?

I'm 18 years old and an intermediate lifter. I've started lifting for several months and made some decent gains, I have a 16% body fat percentage and I don't know if I should cut down to 10% or keep on bulking and focusing on gaining muscle. Would I lose muscle and strength if I cut or is that a myth?
    Can I gain muscle faster bulking or is that also a myth?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Being in a calorie deficit certainly does negatively affect muscle gains. Where the line is to be drawn is not clear. People have traditionally used a calorie surplus for maximal muscle gains but whether this is truly necessary is still an open question.

What I can tell you is that every man and his dog wants to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time and it usually doesn't work very well by all accounts.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by arz14 View Post
    I'm 18 years old and an intermediate lifter. I've started lifting for several months and made some decent gains, I have a 16% body fat percentage and I don't know if I should cut down to 10% or keep on bulking and focusing on gaining muscle. Would I lose muscle and strength if I cut or is that a myth?
    Are you an intermediate lifter or have you only been strength training for a few months? The two are typically not congruent. As said above, ideally you focus on one goal, not two.
    USAF
    LEO

Operation Inherent Resolve ~ 2019

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by arz14 View Post
    If you've only been lifting for a few months you're not an intermediate lifter, and I'll add that most 18 year-olds don't have the muscle mass required to cut down to 10% BF.

Usually we don't give bulk/cut advice without seeing a photo first since often times self-assessments can be misleading, so post a photo in your bodyspace. Also provide your current height and weight.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.