bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Recovery and DOMS, have you felt this way?

This is mostly likely a personal pet-peeve but maybe there is some reasoning to it. After I do a heavy chest workout, I usually feel sore the next day, that concentrated, stone-like soreness coming from DOMS we all appreciate. Then after chest day I sometimes do a shoulder workout the next day. And I notice that after this day, my DOMS are only about 20%. The shoulder presses does stretch the chest dynamically from the pressing movement and I was wondering if that is a good thing or a bad thing? Would my recovery and gains be better if I let the DOMS subside gradually through nutrition and rest? Does stretching of the chest(dynamically in this case) have anything to do with recovery? Is this somehow interrupted?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Firstly, DOMS is not something to aim for, it's a side effect of certain types of training. It's possible to gain muscle without much DOMS. It's also possible to get a lot of DOMS and not gain any muscle.

So don't train specifically for DOMS, train for progression in what you can do. More reps with the same weight or more weight over time. Or more sets.

Chest and shoulder training has overlap - mostly the triceps and anterior delt. But that doesn't matter - you can retrain a muscle more frequently than most people think and still make good (maybe even better) progress.

By the way, if you train a bodypart more frequently, you get less DOMS...

bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10) bak2basics is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Suffolk Punch,

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if you have any articles or studies that relates to this as I am interested in reading more about DOMs and recovery in general. Just because it is a pet-peeve of mine that I get crazy DOMS after chest day and then the next day I do shoulders, it subsides drastically.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bak2basics View Post
    Just because it is a pet-peeve of mine that I get crazy DOMS after chest day and then the next day I do shoulders, it subsides drastically.
    So the peeve is that you want your DOMS to last longer and not go away so quickly?

Also, you may not want to do a heavy shoulder day after a heavy chest day, since it sounds like you may be questioning your gains.

that concentrated, stone-like soreness coming from DOMS we all appreciate.
    Many ppl appreciate gain with less pain more. As SP said above, you don't need DOMS to make progress.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Hi Suffolk Punch,

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if you have any articles or studies that relates to this as I am interested in reading more about DOMs and recovery in general. Just because it is a pet-peeve of mine that I get crazy DOMS after chest day and then the next day I do shoulders, it subsides drastically.
    https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...33e608de618cf1

Short answer: It's a side effect that indicates something is happening but more is not better - and may actually be worse.

LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LFAesthetics is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I will bearly get DOMS anymore doing my current routine as my body is used to it, however if i change an exercise in my routine i will be extra sore for a few days, weeks while I adapt again. DOMS is not something i desire to have a ton of, a little bit is fine, but when you constantly feel like moving hurts, it really does take away from your life, and personally, I feel that insane DOMS is why people quit the gym after a few weeks, because they went in with their bro who had them do some insane pyramid scheme bench press on their first workout and basically crippled them.

I wouldn't train for DOMS, as others have said.

Hi SP, thank you for that link as it was an interesting and informative read. I especially liked the conclusion where the author writes:

"Some muscles appear to be more prone to DOMS than others, and there seems to be a genetic component that causes certain individuals to experience persistent soreness, whereas others rarely get sore at all."

i think the above statement is very fair (and diplomatic) to this discussion. However, it does seem like DOMs is still favored when it happens, although like many have said, not a necessity. My training volume is quite high on chest day and perhaps if I split the volume over a week's period I may not get DOMs but may still grow the same. I have read hypertrophy studies that indicates this.

As for air2fakie, I would like to do Chest/Shoulders/Triceps but instead do Chest/Back, Shoulders/Arms. The reasoning is that I feel like I cannot give my 100% for shoulders after heavy chest exercises. This has worked well for me so far although I will switch to Chest/Shoulders/Tris and Back/Bis once my current routine has exhausted.

I guess I take recovery very seriously and just don't want anything to impede the process. I guess if the body is done recovering, there are no short-circuits to tell it otherwise...