Thread: Hip flexors

Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hip flexors

Getting used to a new gym, new equipment, and new program. My hamstrings and glutes/hips have been extremely Sore and tight. Could this be causing my low back muscles to be sore too? My form is correct, so I don’t believe form on any exercises is an issue. Anybody deal w low back soreness from a tight posterior chain? What did you do for it?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You're conflating multiple things. The following are somewhat generalizations but hopefully the points get across.

1. Any time you do new movements you are going to be sore. Doesn't matter how strong you are or how well trained, when you do new things soreness occurs. This is not a bad thing and typically subsides in 3 weeks with consistent training.

2. Tightness is something else entirely and typically reflects a lack of flexibility or a lack of mobility (long term) or increased stiffness of muscles/joints (short term). To fix the long term issues takes time and a dedicated approach. The short term issues arise from multiple possible factors. Soreness is one of them. Being physically cold is another. There are other factors as well that relate to fatigue/overtraining/etc that can manifest as tightness too.

If your glutes/hips are really sore and that is altering your gait in some way that will in turn impact the way your lower back is functioning and can lead to sorness there.

I'm concerned though that what you perceive to be soreness may be actual pain, which is entirely different. If you're confident you're not injured and you're just experiencing generic soreness, then simply give it more time and as your body further acclimates to what you are doing this should dissipate and allow you to put more effort into your lifting.

Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannahp21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    You're conflating multiple things. The following are somewhat generalizations but hopefully the points get across.

1. Any time you do new movements you are going to be sore. Doesn't matter how strong you are or how well trained, when you do new things soreness occurs. This is not a bad thing and typically subsides in 3 weeks with consistent training.

2. Tightness is something else entirely and typically reflects a lack of flexibility or a lack of mobility (long term) or increased stiffness of muscles/joints (short term). To fix the long term issues takes time and a dedicated approach. The short term issues arise from multiple possible factors. Soreness is one of them. Being physically cold is another. There are other factors as well that relate to fatigue/overtraining/etc that can manifest as tightness too.

If your glutes/hips are really sore and that is altering your gait in some way that will in turn impact the way your lower back is functioning and can lead to sorness there.

I'm concerned though that what you perceive to be soreness may be actual pain, which is entirely different. If you're confident you're not injured and you're just experiencing generic soreness, then simply give it more time and as your body further acclimates to what you are doing this should dissipate and allow you to put more effort into your lifting.

I would be concerned that it was actual pain if it acted up on my pull days, but it doesn’t at all, last time it really felt fatigued was after my leg day (a bunch of new equipment) and higher rep presses

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Then just wait it out. If you're still having issues after a couple of weeks you may want to troubleshoot at that point.

nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000) nemLifts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had a similar issue - exercises involving bending at the torso (including deadlifts) would cause me lower back discomfort. It would get so bad sometimes that I would have to stop the exercise or go home completely. Even though the discomfort only lasted about an hour, it was getting extremely irritating...

Through trial and error, I found that my hamstrings were very tight (not to mention hip flexors). Doing some hamstring stretches before working out usually helped alleviate the soreness a bit. What helped most though, was incorporating a full body mobility routine for warm up. 10 minutes is more than enough and it let's me do exercises I generally wouldnt be able to do.

Jeff Cavaliere on youtube has a solid 10 minute mobility routine that is a good place to start. Note that your mobility might not actually be the issue, it is very possible that its just usual soreness from working out. Doing a mobility routine definitely wont make things worse though
    The only way to do something is to do it

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 185lb 5RM