willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Calculating TDEE

So I was messing around with the freedieting calorie calculator. Maint 3176, Fat loss 2541 and extreme fat loss 2064. So I can get lax on my tracking and I know this. But, these numbers seem pretty high. Myfittnesspal has me at 1786 for 2lbs per week (seems pretty low). I workout 6 days a week, but for only 40 min on average, I walk 30-45 min a day (on my breaks at work, so not on Saturday) and I play hockey for 1-2 hours on Sundays. My job is mostly sedentary. I put daily for exercise frequency. Now, I am sure I need more consistency tracking but those top numbers seem kind of high for me to lose weight, but I guess the only real way to tell is be exact with tracking and weighing myself? I guess this is where I really struggle. Do those top numbers sound right? I am 5'10, 258.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just all preliminary estimates. Only way to truly know is to put the numbers into actual practice and see how you do.

On the surface, seems ok.

Use as many tools as possible to gauge progress (not just scale) - progress pics, waist measurements, gym performance, etc..
    I always bet on myself...because I know I will never give up in ANYTHING I do. EVER.

Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Nicksosure1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by willybrokeback View Post
    So I was messing around with the freedieting calorie calculator. Maint 3176, Fat loss 2541 and extreme fat loss 2064. So I can get lax on my tracking and I know this. But, these numbers seem pretty high. Myfittnesspal has me at 1786 for 2lbs per week (seems pretty low). I workout 6 days a week, but for only 40 min on average, I walk 30-45 min a day (on my breaks at work, so not on Saturday) and I play hockey for 1-2 hours on Sundays. My job is mostly sedentary. I put daily for exercise frequency. Now, I am sure I need more consistency tracking but those top numbers seem kind of high for me to lose weight, but I guess the only real way to tell is be exact with tracking and weighing myself? I guess this is where I really struggle. Do those top numbers sound right? I am 5'10, 258.
    Calculators have never really worked well for me. Just gives you a starting point to mess around with. For some (most, probably) people, it overestimates your needs due to you overestimating your activity. For others (myself), I've had to increase the amount it tells me based on what I think my activity level is.

If you're focused on using the scale, weigh every morning under the same circumstances, if possible, take a weekly average for 2-3 weeks and see whatever number you choose is doing for you. As well as using the other metrics MANU touched on.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by willybrokeback View Post
    MyFitnessPal does not include any exercise activity in its calorie goal. If your goal with MFP is 1786 for 2 lbs/wk of loss, that means that it has calculated your calorie needs before exercise to be 2786. If you add in your activity, your TDEE calorie level would be close to what the freedieting calculator gave you.

In general, I think that 2200 is a good starting place for men 5'10-6'2' who are 240-275 lbs. I'd just eat that for 4 weeks and then adjust up/down based on results.

willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500) willybrokeback is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Appreciate the replies. I will weigh and track for one month and see where I end up. 2200 sounds like a decent start and at least there I am not starving. Out of all the things I do, I think tracking calories and sticking to my daily numbers is the area I could improve the most. Thanks again for the input.
    ".......have you paid your dues Jack?"
    "Yes Sir, the check is in the mail."

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Exercise activity is a small part of overall calories burned. NEAT calories and RMR Calories are the biggest factors. Pick a reasonable number and stick with it for a month and no less. You can at that point tweak things based on the previous months calorie amount
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 01-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nemLifts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Like suggested above, a month should give you enough time to visually perceive changes in your overall body composition (assuming you take photos for tracking).

I personally track day to day changes on a scale, then plot those points in excel to ensure a consistent trend in body weight change over time.

It's important to remember that day to day weight on a scale fluctuates significantly and it may cause you to start eating more or less. Sodium intake is a big culprit for causing weight changes and I find myself 2-3 pounds heavier for 3-4 days following a high sodium meal.

2200 is a starting point but make sure you stick to it for long enough that you know how its affecting you
    The only way to do something is to do it

Squat -> 255lb 5RM
    Deadlift -> 280lb 5RM
    Bench -> 175lb 5RM