karlhammerle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question General Nutrition and Exercise Inquiry

Hey people! I’m new to the site. Thanks for having me.

I’m a veteran of diet and exercise, on and off since I was 22 years old, and I’m now 35, ~180 pounds, 5’10”, probably about 22-25% body fat. I’m also a lax vegetarian—I eat eggs, fish, etc. (no red meat, chicken, etc.) I’ve accomplished some short term goals in the past, mostly losing fat after being unhealthy for a while, achieving super low body fat a few times, etc. Normally, I would decide to “get healthy” which has just meant cutting calories big time, running a couple miles a day 5-6 times/week, and lifting without any plan. I’ve never set much longer term goals with the focus on simultaneous fat loss and muscle building until now. I’d like to share my current diet and exercise regiment and get whatever feedback, criticisms, suggestions, and advice the forum would like to offer.

I eat about 6 meals a day, with a total caloric intake of about 2200-2400. I’m focusing on macronutrients (very new to me) to make sure I’m taking in sufficient protein, so my current breakdown is about 15% fat (75g), 48% carbohydrates (232g), and 37% protein (183g). All my food is super clean—no saturated fats, minimally processed food, good vitamins and minerals, 99% organic food (if you care), and high quality protein supplements. For the time being, I’ve also cut out alcohol and cheese, so there’s pretty much nothing useless going into my body right now.

In the past, I’ve always subscribed to the 4-5 day/week “high school” lift schedule: chest on Mondays, legs on Tuesdays, etc. Currently, I’m trying to perform more complicated lifting exercises using multiple muscle groups at once. I lift in the early mornings of Mondays (Push: chest, shoulders, triceps, etc.), Wednesdays (Legs), and Fridays (Pull: back, biceps, etc.) I’ll do a light 10 minute cardio session before lifting each day, and lift for about 45 minutes at higher intensity with 30 sec to 1 min rest between sets. On the off days, I’ll do an easy run on the treadmill or outside, about 1.5 miles.

I’m considering adding a more intensive cardio session once or twice a week on the off days, such as CrossFit. Any feedback on that?

Though I wish I got a lot more sleep, I usually clock about 7 hours or less, sometimes 8 on a good night.

Again, my focus is on fat loss and muscle build. I want to get my waist back down to where I’d like it, and to put some size on my shoulders, arms, chest, back, and legs, which is something I’ve never done before. I am definitely at peace with this being a longer term process, though everyone loves seeing results fast, right? Not to mention, being 35 years old makes you question how much longer you have before this all starts getting a lot more difficult to do, both physically and what available time you have in your life to dedicate to it. I’m hyper-focused on getting to a place where I’m very happy with the way I look and feel, knowing I’m doing it as healthfully as possible.

Anyone have any initial feedback for me? Adjustments I should try making to diet, lifting, or cardio? Has anyone made a similar health journey who can provide insight? Any vegetarians or vegans in the forum have any feedback, specifically on gaining size/muscle?

Thanks to all who choose to provide their thoughts on any and all matters I’ve shared, and I appreciate being part of the community.

Best,
    Karl

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1.) Read nutrition stickies
    - quit using macro ratios
    - find a caloric level that is conducive to obtaining your goals
    - hit protein and fat minimums on a daily basis and fill remaining calls with the mix of pro/fat/carb that leads to maximum happiness/performance

2.) Get on a proven lifting program from the workout section that is inline with your experience level
    - sticking to a proven routine will skyrocket your results compared to doing your own thing
    - progressive overload ftw

karlhammerle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    1.) Read nutrition stickies
    - quit using macro ratios
    - find a caloric level that is conducive to obtaining your goals
    - hit protein and fat minimums on a daily basis and fill remaining calls with the mix of pro/fat/carb that leads to maximum happiness/performance

2.) Get on a proven lifting program from the workout section that is inline with your experience level
    - sticking to a proven routine will skyrocket your results compared to doing your own thing
    - progressive overload ftw
    Awesome reply. Thanks.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by karlhammerle View Post
    Awesome reply. Thanks.
    You got it bud. Do lots of reading and come back here with any questions!!