marinemail05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

need help with lifting/cardio routine for fat loss

I've 5'9' 250 lbs. Been powerlifting for about 2 years and I've become a decently strong fat guy. i really want to loss the fat and get healthy/lean. right now i go to the gym 5 days a week for about 45 minutes. I've recently started lifting on MWF and doing cardio on T, THURS. However, what would be the best way to utilize my time? I'm ok with not gaining any new muscle until i get my BF% down but I want to try and at least keep most of it so i want to include weight training still. I'm working on getting my diet in check as well. Probably going to stay under 2000 calories a day but still doing research.

So i have 45 minutes, 5 days a week. How would you divide this time between weights and cardio to loose as much fat as possible. Thank you.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It doesn't really matter. As long as you are maintaining a calorie deficit, getting sufficient protein and weight training for muscle preservation, that's all you need to do.

Cardio is good for your health - but in body composition terms, all it does is slightly change your calories burned. It's often a lot easier to achieve the same thing by slightly reducing your calorie intake instead. It sounds like is low enough already though.

marinemail05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It doesn't really matter. As long as you are maintaining a calorie deficit, getting sufficient protein and weight training for muscle preservation, that's all you need to do.

Cardio is good for your health - but in body composition terms, all it does is slightly change your calories burned. It's often a lot easier to achieve the same thing by slightly reducing your calorie intake instead. It sounds like is low enough already though.
    Sounds good. I think i'll do some 5x5 to try and keep as much strength as possible while in a deficit. Still do some cardio for heart health/ a few extra calories burned. Thanks for your input.

Registered User 27MinuteMiracle's Avatar
    27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by marinemail05 View Post
    I've 5'9' 250 lbs. Been powerlifting for about 2 years and I've become a decently strong fat guy. i really want to loss the fat and get healthy/lean. right now i go to the gym 5 days a week for about 45 minutes. I've recently started lifting on MWF and doing cardio on T, THURS. However, what would be the best way to utilize my time? I'm ok with not gaining any new muscle until i get my BF% down but I want to try and at least keep most of it so i want to include weight training still. I'm working on getting my diet in check as well. Probably going to stay under 2000 calories a day but still doing research.

So i have 45 minutes, 5 days a week. How would you divide this time between weights and cardio to loose as much fat as possible. Thank you.
    I keep reading that zone 2 cardio is a fat burning exercise.
    Check into that

I'm lifting 2x week, running 3x/week.
    I don't know many fat runners.

Best to you -

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 27MinuteMiracle View Post
    I keep reading that zone 2 cardio is a fat burning exercise.
    Check into that

I'm lifting 2x week, running 3x/week.
    I don't know many fat runners.

Best to you -
    It's kind of irrelevant what your heart rate is for fat loss. It's true that you burn a greater proportion of fat at lower levels of exertion - but then you wouldn't expect walking or sitting to be better than running for fat usage would you? But it is - in pure percentage terms.

What matters is not acute substrate (fat tissue vs. glycogen) usage - but net calorie balance over time.

If you did short intense exercise you might burn more glycogen than fat - but reduced glycogen levels also means increased levels of fat burning for as long as it takes to restore the glycogen that was used.