10dsbrennan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Avoiding Hernias and Joint Damage

Hi,

My name is Dillon and I'm new to the forum. Appreciate any help I can get and am looking forward to being a part of the community.

Problem:

How can I avoid hernias and joint damage while continuing weight lifting and exercise?

Background:

I've had two inguinal hernia surgeries-- one on my left side and one on my right. I currently have a sports hernia which has not gotten worse or healed and I was also diagnosed with arthritis in my lower spine from running from high school through college.

I lifted all through college before I got my second hernia and decided to stop weight lifting.

Since then I've exercised for intermittent periods until my arthritis has gotten painful enough that I had to stop or I began feeling slight pain from my past and current hernias. As a result, it's hard for me to maintain a body weight and a healthy physical condition.

Recently, however, I've found my stride, exercising from November of 2019 to today (1/13/2020), about five days a week-- lifting and cycling and rowing to stay in shape. This is the longest period I've gone with this level of exercise (relatively rigorous) without injury.

In the past, I've avoided arthritis pains by taking glucosamine supplements and listening to my body. I still do heavy lifting, but I breath and try to focus on form to avoid injury. If I get back pain, I take it easy for the next two days in the gym, focusing on light weight and cardio.

I'm concerned however, because this morning I woke up after going hard in the gym (weights) with slight pain in the area of one of my past inguinal hernia repairs. I've felt for tenderness and it doesn't feel like I've reopened the hernia, but I am now weary to continue working out as hard as I have.

Why I'm here:

I'm hoping you guys and girls can give me some tips from experience on how to avoid injury. I want to stay in shape and I don't want to give up this time. I really enjoy heavy lifting and rigorous cardio, but if I need to change it up, I guess I have to.

Thanks in advance all!

MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500)
    Do the 5x5 method 3 times a week. I am 58 and have been lifting since age 14 with no injuries while others have tried to advance too quickly and permanently injured themselves.

Now I am near New Hampshire state records for my age and weight (plus I walk and hike 5 to 10 miles a day in these mountains, snowshoeing in winter and strong as an ox.)

You must also eat well - no sugar, few carbohydrates, alot of fat and protein. One of the secrets to health that few people know. Also 1 to 2 teaspoons of pink Himalayan salt in a quart of water every day a gulp at a time which is excellent for strength, bones, teeth, and more - we are basically walking oceans.
    Last edited by MtMoriah; 01-13-2020 at 06:38 AM.
    Robert Rogers
    Live Free or Die

matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very generally speaking...

The heavier the load, the more likely you are to disrupt a hernia. Weights are amazing for a number of reasons but max effort lifting may not suit you well.

With regard to arthritis, 80% of 50 year olds will have arthritis if you take xrays of large populations. Not all of them have joint pain so don't consider arthritis to be some sort of death sentence for the joints. Our bodies are amazing and if you place stress on the body and then give it ample time to recover it will always look to come back stronger and more resilient. The key is to know your body. Know what YOUR limits are and stay within your capacity.

When you do have inflammation flair ups try to identify if it was the movement that caused the pain, the load, or the general work to rest ratio. Avoid movements that consistently exacerbate symptoms and the greater the load the longer the rest should be.
    In love with all things health and wellness.

Movement based Physical Therapist, here is what occupies my time and attention:

www.SportProUSA.com

www.MoveGrowThrive.com