GangsterFresh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about lock out?

I see most people on reddit/forums and also steriod pros almost never lock out when working out? I am talking about the two things here, the main lifts and the accessory lifts.

For example squats, military press, bench, I never see people lock out during this?

The second part is what about the accessory movements? Talking about for example for pull day, should I be doing the bicep curls by dropping my hand all the way down and then squeeze all the way up or drop my hands down but still keep tension in my biceps? What about things like pull ups and stuff should I be doing those from dead hang or also keep constant pressure on my lats? I dont get pain in my shoulders from dead hang pulls up so I just wanted to check.

Thanks yall!

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lock out your lifts.

Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    lock out your lifts.
    I’ve read that squatting just short of lockout (and leg pressing for that matter) puts less stress on the knees, so I gave this a shot last week and... sure enough. Am I sacrificing anything though?

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    I’ve read that squatting just short of lockout (and leg pressing for that matter) puts less stress on the knees, so I gave this a shot last week and... sure enough. Am I sacrificing anything though?
    I wear knee sleeves and it really helps my 48 year old knees

Body Dysmorphia Survivor BlackJack619's Avatar
    BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BlackJack619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like keeping tension on the muscle being used, that's just my personal preference.
    What did the flat earthers say to the globe earther?

Hey can I level with you?

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're training for hypertrophy there are some cases where it won't matter much (ie, locking out your squats), while there are others where it will (ie, cutting short the lockout portion of a pullup). You can still keep your biceps & lats flexed/engaged in the lockout portions of curls/pullups respectively (you can test this right now by extending your arm and flexing your triceps/biceps at the same time; you can keep your arm flexed while engaging both).

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Depends on what you're training for. For general strength and size I don't think it relatively matters.

If you're lifting specifically for size (or are in a cycle within your program that is hypertrophy based) then it is beneficial to not lock out (or pause inbetween reps) to maintain tension on the muscle.

Since strength is my concern, I lockout pretty much every exercise and pause between reps. However, sometimes on my accessories if I'm doing high reps I will still fully lockout but immediately reverse the weight to maintain tension.

Either way, general rule is on the bigger movements (that naturally illicit lower reps) you can take a second between reps. On the smaller movements you can remove the top portion of the ROM if you wish to add a bit more stress.

Train both ways, and do them for weeks at a time.

Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Xpiro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I wear knee sleeves and it really helps my 48 year old knees
    Maybe there’s a less expensive option for my 28 year old knees? Ha

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i think there's a general difference between what is called "locking out" and "hyperextending". Like when people say don't lock out the leg press they really mean don't hyperextend the knee although it doesn't really take much to go from locking out to hyperextending.

I also don't really subscribe to the notion of not locking out = more tension on the muscle = more growth as if your muscles aren't already under tension. I do notice more of a pump if I don't lock out on the lifts and if that's what you're going for cool. I just don't think based on my own experiences and evidence that it is really a reliable factor for growth. If anything, not locking out to a lot of people means half repping and bouncing the bar off their chest on a bench press or using alot of momentum on their lifts so they are really cheating range of motion and not actually using their muscles.

for many movements i like to use a slight pause at the bottom of a movement, i.e for curls ill come to a dead stop at the bottom of the lift, then perform the eccentric to ensure i'm using mostly my biceps and isolating it as much as possible. for some movements I don't really care, like for db bench pressing where i use the stretch reflex from the bottom but I still generally lock it out.

djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000) djdizzydave is just really nice. (+1000)
    time under tension OP. no need to lock out unless you need to a second to rest perhaps.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    - Socrates

-USAF crew. 20 years and counting!
    *1C3
    *2T3
    *3P0
    -Cleveland Browns crew
    -Ohio State buckeyes crew

Originally Posted by djdizzydave View Post
    time under tension OP. no need to lock out unless you need to a second to rest perhaps.
    I’ve never found that locking out helps me rest I.e. pausing at the top of a bench press; rather, it feels like a waste of energy. The faster I perform reps, the more reps I get. Why is that? Things can get sloppy though so I avoid it.