RyanAgan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Good diet and workout routine for a beginner?

Hello yall. I am turning 19 and I am 5’8 142 pounds. I’ve been lifting for 6 months, but during that time frame I had no idea what I was doing. It was until then I learned about proper nutrition and workouts. My goal is to add 20 pounds of muscle in one year. I know that sounds like a lot, which it is. But I am very dedicated with my workout and never miss a calorie on my diet. However, I am still not sure if I am following a good routine and have a good diet.

I first want to share my diet. It’s 4000 calories every single day. I know what you are already thinking: you are insane you are going to become a butterbean eating that much. Yes 4000 is a lot for a regular person, but believe me I have eaten 3,500 calories every day for 6 weeks straight and there was no weight gain or any strength gains. Here is what my current diet at 4,000 looks like:

Breakfast
    2 egg: 140 Cal 12 Prot 5 Fat
    2 tbsp olive oil: 238 cal 28 Fat
    1 cup milk: 150 cal 8 prot 8 Fat 12 Carb
    2 slice cheese: 160 Cal 10 prot 14 Fat
    1 slice whole grain bread: 130 Cal 6 Prot 22 Carb
    1/2 cup walnuts: 400 cal 38 Fat 6 Carb 10 prot

Pre Workout
    7 oz pink salmon: 280 Cal 45 Prot 9 Fat
    1 slice whole grain bread: 130 Cal 6 Prot 22 Carb
    Chopped veggies: 25 Cal

Post Workout
    7 oz pink salmon: 280 Cal 45 prot 9 Fat
    2 cup cooked pasta: 400 Cal 84 Carb 14 Prot
    1/4 cup alfredo sauce: 45 cal 1 prot 3 carb 3 fat
    Chopped veggies: 25 Cal

Before Bed
    1 apple: 95 cal 25 Carb
    1 banana: 105 cal 27 Carb
    1 cup milk: 150 cal 8 prot 8 Fat 12 Carb
    4 Tbsp Pb: 400 Cal 16 prot 8 Carb 34 Fat
    2 slice italian 5 grain bread: 200 cal 10 prot 42 carb
    56 grams feta cheese: 150 cal 14 prot 10 fat

Calories: 3979
    Protein: 201
    Carbs: 221
    Fats: 157

I realize I have a lot of fats and the protein is pretty high for someone my weight. The reason I have a diet like this is because as a college student, I am working with what I got and I am on a budget. And I know I am going to get a lot of comments like “eat brown rice or sweet potato”. Don’t get me wrong I used to. But due to the time it takes to prepare, I let that go since I am extremely busy every week. If there is however, anything bad about my diet, I would be glad to listen and change it.

Now I wanna move on to my routine. The routine is 4 days a week and originally it was shaped like this:

Monday- Chest Triceps
    Tuesday- Back Biceps
    Thursday- Shoulder Forearms
    Friday- Legs

However, I heard that working out each muscle group twice a week will bring you the best gains. So what I did was I took the volume that I had to have done for a muscle group and split it into two. For instance I would complete the first half of the chest and triceps routine on Monday and continue the other half on Thursday. This would allow me to get enough rest for each muscle group.

So now this is my workout

Monday: Bench press
    Dumbbell Flys
    Tricep rope pulldowns
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    Seated Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Bicep Curl

Tuesday: Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell reverse fly
    Shrugs
    Forearm curl
    Squat
    Leg Curl
    Calf raise

Thursday: Incline bench
    Decline bench
    Dumbbell Pullover
    Tricep dip
    Deadlift
    Chinup
    Bicep curl

Friday: Military Press
    Dumbell Lat raises
    Upright row
    Forearm curl
    Squat
    Calf raise

There are 4 ab workouts I incorporate in my training. Reverse crunch, bicycle crunch, hanging leg raises, sit ups. I would quickly do one ab set after a small muscle set. For instance after lateral raises, I’d get on the mattress and do abs while my shoulder is resting. All the workouts above are 3 sets 8-12 reps for hypertrophy.

If this workout plan seems way too much for a beginner like me, I will be glad to get rid of it. But what I do want is a routine where I will be able to build all my types of muscles equally.

Guys, if you read all this, thank you so much. Just understand that I will do what it takes and I want to obtain the best information possible. Some advice would really much be appreciated.