nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) nuck is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bicep muscle tearing at 50+ WTF

I first ran into a problem doing dumbbell curls when I was in my early 40s. Not an unusual weight, proper form, but maybe not really warmed up. Forearm ripped at the top and a little strip of meat fluttered down like an elastic band. It destabilized the elbow for close to a year but eventually came back close to 100%.

In my late 40s I was not throwing heavy weights anymore but still pretty thick and lean at 5'8" 200. I backed off of anything heavier than 250lbs for bench and squats and started Mui Tai. This is really a skinny mans sport with lots of rotation and snapping to get strike velocity. I did this for a couple of years and liked the fitness level it was giving me but ended setting up a strange injury. The physical demands were too much to do weights and martial arts the same night. I was doing shrugs on the Smith Machine which allows big poundage but forces you to follow the machine's track rather than your own nature range of movement. Next night was no weights and Mui tai training including punching the sandbag. The sandbag workout really destroys the knuckles unless you make contact in the last couple inches of arm extension. Heavy arms create a real collision/deceleration with the bag that the typical skinny arms don't experience. When extending like this you can feel the stretch in your bicep, but it really isn't more severe than the usual DOMS you get from shifting to a new exercise routine. Next night I am sparring and trying to beat through a guys headgear by reaching around his guard. It doesn't feel wrong but then all of a sudden it rips and my bicep tears at the shoulder and flutters down to the elbow. I chalked this up to a perfect storm of pre-tearing on the Smith, then the sandbag, then the sparring.

So at 49 I retired from Mui Tai and it took me over a year to get back to any kind of exercise on the bad arm. You all have seen how it drops down and makes your unflexed arm thicker closer to the elbow. The top of the peak is much smaller and I needed to shift over to hammer curls to do any kind of weight. Fast forward to last month. I am now 59 and still pretty fit but for various reasons I had done little weights the previous 3 months. I am putting a 55lb table saw in the trunk of my car, arms 80% extended and the uninjured bicep tears this time.

Is it getting old that caused this? Is it slacking off for the last few months? I am not really big now but my hammer curls were always with a 40lb dumbbell so the ideal that 55lbs in two arms can damage me has me freaked? Old age? Diet? I drank a truckload of wine this summer, could it be alcohol? Bad, injury prone genes?

Is there a silver bullet here? Thanks for any responses.