Rycliff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Building The Dream Home Gym

Hello!

Purpose: Build the best possible home gym within my space limits.

Gym Space: 11'9" x 17'9", ceiling is 10'

Knowledge: I am completely ignorant about weight lifting. I am a total novice.

My Physique: 5'5" or 5'4", 223 lbs, and that ain't from muscle.

Goals: Lose 90 lbs of fat, become physically fit, slender, but also with some muscle.

What I already own, which occupies the gym space:
    1. 3/4" rubber flooring over the entire area
    2. True PS850 Treadmill
    3. Core Home Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells and Weight Stand
    www .amazon.com/dp/B01J8S38LW/
    www .amazon.com/gp/product/B07DY4JBM2/
    4. Fitness Reality X-Class 1500 lb Light Commercial Utility Weight Bench with Olympic Preacher Curl & Leg Developer Attachment
    www .amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9YDC7Z/

Budget: The budget is flexible. $10,000 or more is ok. I want the best, but I'm not looking to waste money. I want it to last a lifetime, and I want the equipment to well exceed my needs. I want to buy everything at once and not have to buy anything else in the future.

I've heard good things online about Rogue Fitness so I am gravitating in that direction.

Please help me build my dream home gym!

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Instead of spending $10k on a home gym and then potentially discovering you don't even like lifting, why not join a gym for 6 months or so to figure out your exact goals and needs?

Example: A power rack is the cornerstone of most of our home gyms, and what most people will recommend, but if you don't end up liking to squat, you might want a functional trainer instead.

Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What he said ^^

I went to the local YMCA for 2 years before I decided I would rather work out at home.

Spending $10,000 on something you’ve never done before is just crazy talk.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Instead of spending $10k on a home gym and then potentially discovering you don't even like lifting, why not join a gym for 6 months or so to figure out your exact goals and needs?

Example: A power rack is the cornerstone of most of our home gyms, and what most people will recommend, but if you don't end up liking to squat, you might want a functional trainer instead.
    Agreed, OP, you have no training experience, so before embarking on your dream home gym project, go and workout in a commercial gym, better still spend a little of your proposed budget on a personal trainer, learn how to lift correctly and find out exactly what kind of training program suits you.

Once you find out the training regime that you best enjoy, then come back with a list of the equipment you like using, there's no point in purchasing a rack if you don't enjoy barbell work, a set of kettlebells may be a better fit.

Oh, and by the way, a dream home gym will only marginally help with weight loss, a decent calorific deficit is the only proven way to shift body fat, I added 6lb over the holiday period, none of it was muscle, so it's time for me to count the calories.

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond to my post. Your responses feel like an intervention.

It's true that I'm not looking to bulk up with muscle or be a "bodybuilder." I want to use my gym space to get toned, fit, and most of all, lose weight/fat. Is filling the room with cardio equipment the answer? I don't think so.

I mentioned that spending $10k was "ok" only to express the fact that I have an open-ended budget and desire top-of-the-line equipment. That's why I said the budget is flexible. If what is best for my goals is spending half that amount or less, then so be it.

I'm looking for a home solution that is more time-effective than traveling to a gym. The convenience also helps with getting the motivation to workout by removing the obstacle of the commute.

I've taken to heart what you three have said, though, and perhaps my treadmill and proper nutrition would satisfy the majority of my needs. But would a power cage and some weight lifting be a good addition for my goals?

What equipment would you recommend to obtain the physique of Christian Bale from American Psycho? Responses discussing his genetics and speculating that he used performance-enhancing drugs are not helpful.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I completely agree with the other posters, you would be much better off spending that money on a gym membership and time with a personal trainer that really knows their stuff as well as getting on a solid nutrition plan.

That said, just because I like to spend other people's money I'd get a Sorinex Apex rack with the cable column and lat pulldown if I was thinking about a potential dream gym.

Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I completely agree with the other posters, you would be much better off spending that money on a gym membership and time with a personal trainer that really knows their stuff as well as getting on a solid nutrition plan.

That said, just because I like to spend other people's money I'd get a Sorinex Apex rack with the cable column and lat pulldown if I was thinking about a potential dream gym.
    Wow! I had no idea that such a space-efficient quality rack was on the market. This looks great!

Can you do squats and bench presses within the safety of the cage? How awkward/uncomfortable would it be with this up against a wall?

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rycliff View Post
    What equipment would you recommend to obtain the physique of Christian Bale from American Psycho? Responses discussing his genetics and speculating that he used performance-enhancing drugs are not helpful.
    An iPad, so you can read about nutrition here.

Then worry about the gym. Seriously. No amount of lifting is going to help you if you don’t nail down the nutrition first.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A goal other than to look like Christian Bale. He looked like that because he had the goal of making millions as an actor. That's a powerful incentive. You need to be realistic and start small.

Registered User eddiegoodfellar's Avatar
    eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP

Are you wealthy?

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    A goal other than to look like Christian Bale. He looked like that because he had the goal of making millions of dollars.
    Also a personalised training program, personal trainer and dietician and all the time he needed to follow the program.

More importantly not everything we see on film is achievable in everyday life, make up artists and a lighting director and crew won't be around when you take your shirt off. When filming shirtless these actors more or less follow a competition style prep regime and will pretty much dry out for certain scenes.

Registered User eddiegoodfellar's Avatar
    eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000) eddiegoodfellar is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you have money and have no idea what you're doing, you might consider something like this
    https://www.tonal.com/

Everyone here (myself included) will most likely recommend something like this:

power rack
    FID bench
    good barbell
    powerblock or ironmasters
    300lbs of weights to start
    horse stall mats
    if you want a treadmill, id go used personally

If you go with a Rogue, the resale would be much better if you end up selling.

This site has lots of good information for garage gyms
    https://garagegymreviews.com/

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP...ill keep an eye out for your equipment to show up on marketplace in a year.

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I want to use my gym space to get toned, fit, and most of all, lose weight/fat.
    Body weight exercises, walk, hire a nutritionist, spend a small percentage of the 10K on high quality food.

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Where do you live? But honestly people spend more money on stupider stuff. I’ll help you spend money!

Buy these
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rml-390c-power-rack-3-0

https://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-bar-2-0

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-hg-2-0-bumper-plates

https://www.roguefitness.com/monster-utility-bench-2-0

This will give you years of options and will be way less than 10k
    Last edited by jdforsy; 01-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    ▪█──────█▪ Equipment Crew #66 ▪█──────█▪

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #44 []---[]

My home gym https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1552985721#post1552985721

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Time efficiency is one reason you might start off with a home gym first. If you go that route you need to realize you don't know enough yet to really know what you want. For now, buy the minimum and buy used. Later when you have more info then you can drop some serious money to get what you really want.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    If you go that route you need to realize you don't know enough yet to really know what you want.
    +1. I worked out in a commercial gym for about 12 years before I even considered the home gym. I have managed to build said gym at a small fraction of what it should have cost largely because of people who bought high-end equipment that they never ended up using.

TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TheDude8734 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    Time efficiency is one reason you might start off with a home gym first. If you go that route you need to realize you don't know enough yet to really know what you want. For now, buy the minimum and buy used. Later when you have more info then you can drop some serious money to get what you really want.
    Exactly,

Assuming you do decide to build a gym after trying out a commercial setting,
    I would go follow the equipment list provided by eddiegoodfellar and follow the advice of buying it used.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I know that part of my journey of building upon my home gym has evolved as my preferences and budget have changed. That's part of what makes the experience fulfilling for me however, is that I can cater to my own personal preferences within reason.

In the meantime, it sounds like you have a lot of work to do in the meantime of building your strength levels and finding your preferred regiment/approach.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #78 []---[]

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #24 []---[]

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started lifting when I was 15, and was immediately hooked as I went from a 120lb stick figure to 155lb athletic build inside a year. I kept up with regular workout, ate a junk diet, until I was around 25, 170lbs, and still very happy with my physique. But then depression hit, and I didn't touch a weight for the next 5 years. I got a doorway pullup bar, and used it once in awhile, satisfied I could still do 10 pullups, and used that to convince myself I was fine, even though I had ballooned to 215lbs. On top of that I got diagnosed as pre diabetic, and had severe sleep apnea. It was a wakeup call I had to change. So I signed up for a local gym, and went everyday. I lost maybe 10lbs the following year, and I felt much better, but then I hurt my lower back, and couldn't do any exercises for a month.

When I recovered, I finally decided to hire a trainer, and a nutritionist. I got lucky and just happened to find someone who really had a teach a man to fish mentality. Like he really wanted me to learn to research things for myself, and not rely on him. We had some blood work done, identified like a dozen food allergies I didn't know I had. Cutting those out really helped my metabolism. I got on calorie deficit, counting calories, started at a 500 calorie deficit a day, then 3 months later was up to 1000 calorie a day deficit. I was taught how to avoid injury, and how to work around injury. After a year I was back down to 170lbs, I felt like I had my 25 year old body again. That was like 7 years ago.

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dream gym is relative. Here is my dream gym and it is less than 10k with 2x4, wallboard, paint, electric, equipment, etc...

i.imgur.com/oHmzhA0.jpg
    i.imgur.com/Ky1eAvw.jpg
    i.imgur.com/baVMc0c.jpg

I told my wife we could spend a million bucks but it won’t get us down here. Btw we make it down at least four days a week but usually six. Three days of greyskull. We’ve had a great time adding stuff over the years. You’ve gotten some great advice here...oh and we are old. Youngins will have a totally different dream gym me thinks...good luck!

bae101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to BUILD a $500 HOME GYM on AMAZON

Building a budget home gym can be a bit difficult due to how many options are available. Today, I want to show you how I would build a full home gym for under $500 exclusively on Amazon, which means it also includes shipping. A lot of this equipment isn't great and are things you'll eventually want to upgrade, but to start out, these should get you going.