skinytwig44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Newbie Lifter Needs Help (teenager)

Hi guys,
    Basically im 15 and i started to train about 1 year ago. I started at 55kg BW, very skinny, ribcage visible, shoulders non-existant.
    Initially i was following my friends programs and was gaining about 2.5kg per week on my bench until i reached 40kg for reps (normally 3-8). I slowly kept progressing to 50, and once I reached 50 for about 3 reps i plateaued.
    I gradually worked my way up to 60kg 1RM, and at my best did 60kg for 8.
    For deadlifts, i started off at 55kg trap bar and very quickly progressed to 70kg. Then i moved to straight bar, where i quickly progressed to 80kg for reps and plateaued at 90kg for 2. I kept at it and worked my way up to 100kg for 5 (no bouncing).
    For squats, i started with 30kg (because i was so focused on going as deep as possible) I then worked my way up to 60kg, squating very deep (probably bad for my knees), but i changed my form to squat to about parallel, if not, a little above. And after i did that i was squating 90kg for 2.
    At my best (60kg for 8 Bench, 100kg for 5 deadlift, 90kg for 2 squat) I was about 63kg BW.
    I do not use any supplements, and all i have been doing for nutrition is basically a dirty bulk. I eat everything in excess and it doesnt matter if its a healthy chicken and salad sandwich or pancakes, i just eat until im almost sick (just to try to put on weight).

The Things i need help with are:
    1. How to stop a bench plateau (its been a few weeks since ive progressed in anything, and a few months since ive progressed with bench)
    2. WHy my shoulders are as strong as my chest (20kg DB Shoulder Press for 6 fresh, 22.5kg DB incline bench for 6 after Barbel bench and db bench)
    3. If i should start eating healthy, because im now fluctuating between 65-67kg BW, but am starting to get a small bump on my belly and I have love handles (but im not fat)
    4. Why my knees hurt after leg day
    5. How to get bigger arms (I have an insane peak on my biceps because i have a long bicep tendon. But my biceps arent big, they are just "sharp" as if ive used synthol or something. And my triceps are fkn tiny.)
    And if you have any other tips please let me know.

BTW - my form on everything is basically perfect (i think). Full range of motion, no bouncing on deadlift or bench, knees stay behind my toes on squat and leg press, etc.
    I really appreciate any help
    Thanks!

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome, and congrats on your progress. I'd say you've put on a good amount of strength.

To better answer your questions we need to know,

Previous athletic experience
    Ultimate goals
    Any current / future sports
    Height
    What kind of program you are / were running

To briefly answer your questions

A plateau can be address by resetting the one lift, or deloading all together. This is done by dropping your weights 10-20% and slowly working back up. If that doesn't work (and your programming is sound) then you've most likely milked your beginner gains (week by week linear progression) and need to transition into something else.

You've compared shoulders fresh to a incline DB exercise (which is shoulder based in itself) after doing 2 other exercises. Additionally, in the beginning you may not notice a huge strength difference inbetween the two.

Eating healthier foods won't negate fat storage around said area, or anywhere for that matter. You might feel better, notice cognitive improvement, have more energy, sleep better, ect. But ultimately what matters is that you are eating in a caloric surplus. Inherently, whether it's a "dirty" or "clean" bulk, you will add fat to some degree. You'll have to eat less to address that but I wouldn't worry about it until you've filled your frame a bit more.

Could be from previous athletics, form, genetic predisposition, ect. Need a little more info.

Best way to grow arms at your level is to focus on the big compound movements (bench, overhead press, row, chin ups) with some curls and extensions.

If you answer the above questions we can offer more accurate advice.

Great job so far!

Originally Posted by FurtadoZ9 View Post
    Welcome, and congrats on your progress. I'd say you've put on a good amount of strength.

To better answer your questions we need to know,

Previous athletic experience
    Ultimate goals
    Any current / future sports
    Height
    What kind of program you are / were running

To briefly answer your questions

A plateau can be address by resetting the one lift, or deloading all together. This is done by dropping your weights 10-20% and slowly working back up. If that doesn't work (and your programming is sound) then you've most likely milked your beginner gains (week by week linear progression) and need to transition into something else.

You've compared shoulders fresh to a incline DB exercise (which is shoulder based in itself) after doing 2 other exercises. Additionally, in the beginning you may not notice a huge strength difference inbetween the two.

Eating healthier foods won't negate fat storage around said area, or anywhere for that matter. You might feel better, notice cognitive improvement, have more energy, sleep better, ect. But ultimately what matters is that you are eating in a caloric surplus. Inherently, whether it's a "dirty" or "clean" bulk, you will add fat to some degree. You'll have to eat less to address that but I wouldn't worry about it until you've filled your frame a bit more.

Could be from previous athletics, form, genetic predisposition, ect. Need a little more info.

Best way to grow arms at your level is to focus on the big compound movements (bench, overhead press, row, chin ups) with some curls and extensions.

If you answer the above questions we can offer more accurate advice.

Great job so far!
    Thanks for the advice.
    I have no serious previous athletic experience, i just played soccer and tennis seriously when i was really young (which doesnt really count) but other than that, basically nothing.
    My goals are to look like a bear HAHAHA. And to be strong, because i really enjoy gymming, especially the big compound lifts
    No current or future sports, but i do like to box a bit on the heavy bag.
    My height is probably 175-180cm, not 100% sure but my dads 5 11 and im taller than him.
    My program used to be Push pull legs twice a week, with sunday as an off day. But the main reason i went to the gym in the first place was because i had narrow shoulders, so i wanted to focus on them a bit. So now i do Chest, Shoulders and Tris, Pull, Legs (if i have time at the end i do some arms), and chest again with the weekends as off days.
    Chest:
    Bench Press (3-6 reps) 4-5 sets
    Dumbell bench (3-6 reps) 3-4 sets
    Dumbell Incline bench (3-6 reps) 3-4 sets
    Incline Plate press (15kg plate until failure - focusing on contraction) 3 sets
    Cable Flies (set it on a reasonable weight and go to failure) 3-4 sets

Shoulders (Favourite Day):
    Dumbell Shoulder Press (5-6 Reps) 4 sets
    Seated side lat raises (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 3-4 sets
    Front dumbell raises (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 3-4 sets
    Cable side lat raises (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 3-4 sets (i feel a much better contraction with the cable)
    Front Barbell raises (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 3 sets
    Pushdowns (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 4-5 sets
    Sometimes if i have time i do close grip bench

Pull (second favourite day):
    Deadlift (2-5 reps) 4 sets
    Lat pulldown, i like V-grip better because my elbows crunch sometimes on wide grip (5-8 reps) 4 sets
    V grip Seated row (5-8 reps) 4 sets
    Dumbell Row (5-8 Reos) 4 sets
    Face Pulls (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 4 sets
    Cable lat pullover (reasonable weight and go to failure and drop set at the end) 3-4 sets
    Hammer or standard DB curl (start off heavy [4-8 reps] then start focusing on contraction with lower weight [10-14 reps]) 3 sets
    Barbell curl if i have time

Legs:
    Squat (2-6 reps) 4-5 sets - i sometimes go for a 2 rep max
    Leg press (6-12 reps) 4-5 sets
    Hamstring curl (6-12 reps) 4 sets
    Leg extention (6-15 reps) 4 sets
    Bicep curls if i have time

Then repeat chest
    and have 2 days off

The reason i dont do many exercises on legs is that i have longer rests due to the heavier weight.
    And the reason i do shoulders on a seperate day is because i want to spend more time on them and i train at school which only gives me 75 minutes per session.

I hope that helps, Thanks

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The reason why your bench has stalled is because your routine has a pretty high amount of volume. You would probably make more and faster progress if you did something like this

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

I know it seems counter intuitive, but less is more right now. Because there's only a few exercises it's much easier for you to add weight each week.

You'll progress very fast, then be able to transition into something with more volume later.

If you like going to the gym more often, then at the bare minimum I'd suggest doing a 4 day a work upper/lower.

Both of these will be better than what you are currently doing.

Originally Posted by FurtadoZ9 View Post
    The reason why your bench has stalled is because your routine has a pretty high amount of volume. You would probably make more and faster progress if you did something like this

I know it seems counter intuitive, but less is more right now. Because there's only a few exercises it's much easier for you to add weight each week.

You'll progress very fast, then be able to transition into something with more volume later.

If you like going to the gym more often, then at the bare minimum I'd suggest doing a 4 day a work upper/lower.

Both of these will be better than what you are currently doing.
    Thanks for the advice. The issue is that i love the program im using now, and its gonna be hard to change. Im gonna remove some unnecessary excercises from each workout, but would you recommend any supplements to speed up recovery and allow me to train at this volume?

Thanks

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    We don't discuss those here.

You can train at that volume, no problem. In fact you will have to. Just not yet. The volume you need/ can handle will increase over time. You don't want to start high volume and then have to keep adding more. Let the adaptation take its time