arthurddayne is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Failure at 4th set of 5 by 5 bench press

Hello everyone, this is my first post at BB. So I've been doing 5 by 5 program and today it tried to do 85 kg (187 pounds). Till now, I just failed once that too at 5th rep of 5th set few weeks back. But today I failed at 4th rep of 4th set, even though last week's workout didn't seem that challenging (I add 1.25 KG each side every week). Does that mean I've hit a plateau and I need to switch to 3 by 3 from next week, or is it me having a bad day (was feeling tired before going to gym although it happens many a times) and I can still stick to 5 by 5 next week with same weight.

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You aren't gonna break a plateau by doing less work. Sure you'll lift heavier weights but that's because you're doing sweets of 3 instead of 5.

If you fail, try again. If you still fail, deload. If you still fail, it's time to move on from linear progression- it's entirely possible that's the case at 187 pound bench press. Probably not if that's squat/ deadlift. I doubt that's ohp.

Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    You aren't gonna break a plateau by doing less work. Sure you'll lift heavier weights but that's because you're doing sweets of 3 instead of 5.

If you fail, try again. If you still fail, deload. If you still fail, it's time to move on from linear progression- it's entirely possible that's the case at 187 pound bench press. Probably not if that's squat/ deadlift. I doubt that's ohp.
    Thanks, is it OK to deload in a strength training program rather than reducing the sets and reps?

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can deload however you want. My deload usually comes in the form of bad circumstances making me miss a few days completely. Then I always hit a pr. I just broke a bench plateau by taking 2 weeks of for an injury

The 5x5 programs usually have you deload by backing off 15 percent and working back up. The weights will be easier this time around so you'll be less fatigued when you get back to the weight you got stuck on.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/ma...wo-quick-tips/

an old article, and greg may have slightly differing opinions on this now but it's still a good read. I would even add that you could deload the weight 10-15%, but then making the last set an AMRAP (still leave 1-2 reps left) set making the program more auto-regulated.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by arthurddayne View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post at BB. So I've been doing 5 by 5 program and today it tried to do 85 kg (187 pounds). Till now, I just failed once that too at 5th rep of 5th set few weeks back. But today I failed at 4th rep of 4th set, even though last week's workout didn't seem that challenging (I add 1.25 KG each side every week). Does that mean I've hit a plateau and I need to switch to 3 by 3 from next week, or is it me having a bad day (was feeling tired before going to gym although it happens many a times) and I can still stick to 5 by 5 next week with same weight.
    Definitely give it a couple of shots at the same weight before you resort to a deload. Sometimes the strength just isn't there that day.

How long have you been on this program? Have you been consistent? Some programs cycle in planned deloads after a certain number of weeks. If you're close to a planned deload I'd still go ahead and try to hit 85kg if possible before backing off. That gives you a tangible short-term goal and challenge to aspire to.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by sooby View Post

an old article, and greg may have slightly differing opinions on this now but it's still a good read. I would even add that you could deload the weight 10-15%, but then making the last set an AMRAP (still leave 1-2 reps left) set making the program more auto-regulated.
    It's a good read, thanks for sharing it, will try the second "add volume" strategy if I am unable to complete 5 by 5 next week as well.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Definitely give it a couple of shots at the same weight before you resort to a deload. Sometimes the strength just isn't there that day.

How long have you been on this program? Have you been consistent? Some programs cycle in planned deloads after a certain number of weeks. If you're close to a planned deload I'd still go ahead and try to hit 85kg if possible before backing off. That gives you a tangible short-term goal and challenge to aspire to.
    Today is the beginning of my 9th week into the program, took a week off sometime in the mid schedule as I did 'hypertrophy' schedule for 10 weeks prior to taking the week off, my target is to hit 220 (100 KG) in my 12th or 13 week for a rep or two once I am able to do 200 (90 KG) for 5 reps. Will try with same weight next week to see how it goes and work on my deloads accordingly.

Originally Posted by sooby View Post
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/ma...wo-quick-tips/

I was gonna say that. Greyskull style. But, honestly noob gains are blowing my mind right now. Every time I slack off,I make the best progress, and op is not stronger than me. I assume he's gonna respond similar. So I'd just ride it out personally.

Hmm... in fact one of Greg's articles had a study, done on experienced lifters, 6x6, with the same weight for 6 weeks yielded better results than three control group that continued doing their own training program. Meaning he would have positive results if he just dropped a few pounds and kept that weight for a few weeks

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    How are the rest of your lifts progressing?

Age? Weight/height? Starting lifts and current lifts? Experience?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    progress isnt linear, i wouldnt necessarily presume you need to change much
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by FurtadoZ9 View Post
    How are the rest of your lifts progressing?

Age? Weight/height? Starting lifts and current lifts? Experience?
    Am following 5 by 5 just for Flat, Incline bench and seated OHP. I am going into DLs and Squats as I have a knee problem. I switched to 3 by 3 for Incline and OHP 2 weeks back as 5 by 5 was getting really heavy. Yesterday did 162.25 3 by 3 Incline and 128.7 on seated OHP last week and will try 132 this week.

Age:35, 213lbs/5'11". Worked out for around 1.5 years long back when I was 21-22, then hit the gym for a month here and there, doesn't count much. Then started regularly since last Jan. Most of the time since then been on hypertrophy and even circuit training hitting gym 3 times a week. Hit 176 flat bench for hard 3 reps last Sept then again switched to hypertrophy.Really started to focus on strength last 9 weeks to hit my 220 target.

Is it Just me or is that a really high ohp, comparatively?

Wolfrose is right, progress isn't linear. That's why the LP programs have resets- so the gains can catch up with the weight

Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    Is it Just me or is that a really high ohp, comparatively?

Wolfrose is right, progress isn't linear. That's why the LP programs have resets- so the gains can catch up with the weight
    May be because I did 3 by 3 rather than 5 by 5. Also may be because I did it seated and not standing.