drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hook grip for deads rocks?!

Today after weightlifting workout I did some clean style deadlifts and some chest work. Since Im training oly lifting, I used no belt, raised heel shoes and hook grip. I was really surprised I could comfortably hold mid 4s with no discomfort.

Definitely recommend folks try it. Nice alternative to straps and mixed.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This is what I'm currently doing on my top dead lift sets, that was my big secret in my training journal. I only train one rep on it though, using a clean style "pull" position, the weight flys once I get near the knees.

I don't have O'shoes though.

The only I would recommend though is to not cut your thumb nails the day before doing these, this was the only I had a bloody thumb, the pressure caused blood to shoot out of my thumb nail with around 425#.

Good post.

This is also why I don't use straps.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    This is what I'm currently doing on my top dead lift sets, that was my big secret in my training journal. I only train one rep on it though, using a clean style "pull" position, the weight flys once I get near the knees.

The only I would recommend though is to not cut your thumb nails the day before doing these, this was the only I had a bloody thumb, the pressure caused blood to shoot out of my thumb nail with around 425#.

Good post.

Eww, are you putting pressure directly on the nail? Moving my fingers just slightly over is why I can stand this now.

Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I really need to give this a shot. Any recommendations for a quick tutorial vid or some advice?

I have pretty ****e grip. I don't like to use mixed grip so I use straps instead and I hate hate hate getting them into position.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 235x9, 250x6, 270x1
    Squat - 295x8, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x11, 445x8 455x7, 475x5, 495x1
    OHP - 145x10, 150x9, 155 5x5, 165x6, 190x1(@180 bw)
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 190 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    I really need to give this a shot. Any recommendations for a quick tutorial vid or some advice?

I have pretty ****e grip. I don't like to use mixed grip so I use straps instead and I hate hate hate getting them into position.
    Get Versa grips, well worth it. I’ve tried it a few times, hook grip hurts

I have average length fingers, but big palms. I start with top of both hands facing the ceiling, then put absolutely as much of my thumb along the bottom of the bar as possible. Then I close my hands over the thumb. My pointer finger is basically useless as all the pressure is middle and ring finger with the ring finger applying the most force. Ring finger lays across the meat and cuticle of the thumb and the pinky is over the fleshy tip and bar mostly. The main thing is having nothing pressing directly in middle of the thumb (which hurts). I think cailler and Ben both have good YouTube videos on it. You definitely have to experiment a bit with it.

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Good post.

Hook grip avi checking in
    Authorities said...best leave it...unsolved

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Yeah, I've tried hook grip too, and just couldn't endure it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Started using Cobra Grips which are similar to Versa grips, and it makes things a lot easier.

Now that I'm lifting lighter weights maybe it would be a good time to try again and see if I can work my way up with it.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    due to my spinal cord injury I have to use the following hooks. I love em. I use them for many of my exercises.

For deadlifts I will have one of my non disabled friends help with a video if you want.
    *INBA/PNBA - PNBA (Professional) Wheelchair Natural Bodybuilder*
    *Disabled US Marine Corps Combat Veteran*
    *St. L Cardinals, St. L Blues, KC Chiefs*
    *Hogan is G.O.A.T. Sting Fanatic - Miss Bliss Crew*

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Hook grip does not work for me. I have big palms and short fingers.

I also dont see an advantage to 'hook grip' UNLESS you are competing oly where straps are not allowed.

VersaGrips are well worth it and are a part of EVERY back workout I do. I used them even when I dont need them since it helps me really concentrate on pulling with the back.

From a strength, I have tested them at over 700lbs and I have the confidence in them that they are not going to fail. BUT if I need to ditch, it is as easy as opening my hand.

I have to crack up at the 'tough' guys raving about a guys DOH hook deads. I dont look at that in any more awe than I do a guy standing holding weight with his legs locked. I dont rave about a guys mixed grip either.

Not sure what the allure of hook is (again, unless you are oly lifting).
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    545 Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZZLnePFiI
    225 x 29 bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe68-LgD0jM

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Hook grip does not work for me. I have big palms and short fingers.

I also dont see an advantage to 'hook grip' UNLESS you are competing oly where straps are not allowed.

VersaGrips are well worth it and are a part of EVERY back workout I do. I used them even when I dont need them since it helps me really concentrate on pulling with the back.

From a strength, I have tested them at over 700lbs and I have the confidence in them that they are not going to fail. BUT if I need to ditch, it is as easy as opening my hand.

I have to crack up at the 'tough' guys raving about a guys DOH hook deads. I dont look at that in any more awe than I do a guy standing holding weight with his legs locked. I dont rave about a guys mixed grip either.

I find setup much easier. I like to tension from top down. I usually get loose while twirling the wraps. I had versa grips but left them at the gym and somebody took them.

LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LWW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

There isn't, there is nothing impressive strength wise about "hookgrip" sounds like you don't know WTF your talking about? Of course I've been through this with you too many times, it's tiresome.

There is something impressive about a DOH regular grip though.

ID is challenged in comprehension of this whole subject, he continually confusing DOH regular grip, hookgrip etc. He is just a gifted lifter who also takes shortcuts.

BTW, I'm enjoying the mixed-grip myself for reps, I do singles with Hookgrip or DOH regular, if your reps with hookgrip and heavy weights, your "most likely" gonna feel pain in the thumbs.

Straps aren't allowed in powerlifting either, so hookgrip can be an advantage.

hookgrip helps in pulls in cleans and snatches no matter how light, there is zero roll on the barbell.

ID, squeeze your fist, you're lats and traps should contract that why (for me) DOH regular grip rocks and there is a relation to grip and back, I don't like the imbalance that straps have, my way takes longer and is harder, but there is still mixed-grip and hookgrip for bigger deads. One day, one day (in the next 5-10 years) my philosophy will allow me to leave you in dust.

This will all go right through ID, to him I'm a former lifter, even though I posted a pic of myself lifting weights with my teeth. ID don't need this anyway, he was a freak within 3 years of training.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Straps aren't allowed in powerlifting either, so hookgrip can be an advantage.

hookgrip helps in pulls in cleans and snatches no matter how light, there is zero roll on the barbell.

ID, squeeze your fist, you're lats and traps should contract that why (for me) DOH regular grip rocks and there is a relation to grip and back, I don't like the imbalance that straps have, my way takes longer and is harder, but there is still mixed-grip and hookgrip for bigger deads. One day, one day (in the next 5-10 years) my philosophy will allow me to leave you in dust.

This will all go right through ID, to him I'm a former lifter, even though I posted a pic of myself lifting weights with my teeth. ID don't need this anyway, he was a freak within 3 years of training.
    You’ve got some anger management issues, son.
    My Candito Linear log:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177212011&p=1581528721#post1581528721

My Fierce 5 Novice log (deprecated): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Originally Posted by marinevet63031 View Post
    due to my spinal cord injury I have to use the following hooks. I love em. I use them for many of my exercises.

For deadlifts I will have one of my non disabled friends help with a video if you want.
    Very cool. Look like they'd be comfortable on the wrists too.

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Except you're now connected to the bar - good or bad.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

"Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This will all go right through ID, to him I'm a former lifter, even though I posted a pic of myself lifting weights with my teeth.
    I' am not sure what leads you to believe I even give you that much credit.

Good luck with your 2020 lifting goals.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    545 Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZZLnePFiI
    225 x 29 bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe68-LgD0jM

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Except you're now connected to the bar - good or bad.
    Didn't think about that. I bail far too much much to be connected... I think his use case is different from mine and his physique clearly shows he knows what's up.

adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love the hook grip, I have long fingers so it works out well for me. I only wish I can endure the pain as the weight gets heavier! I can go up to 225lbs and maybe get 2-3 reps with the hook grip but then it becomes uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
    You’ve got some anger management issues, son.
    There were zero, not one cap in my post, Suzie.

marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    absolutely and most certainly
    *INBA/PNBA - PNBA (Professional) Wheelchair Natural Bodybuilder*
    *Disabled US Marine Corps Combat Veteran*
    *St. L Cardinals, St. L Blues, KC Chiefs*
    *Hogan is G.O.A.T. Sting Fanatic - Miss Bliss Crew*

Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Been trying to get used to hook grip and so far it really Sucks.

I setup a training block that has a lot of submaximal deadlifts.

Did 5x10 at 335 pounds today and by the fifth set I had to switch to mixed grip.

I also can't pull anything over 75% with it yet. How long did it take y'all to get used to it? I have pretty freaking short fingers. I would imagine it Sucks considerably less with bigger hands
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 235x9, 250x6, 270x1
    Squat - 295x8, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x11, 445x8 455x7, 475x5, 495x1
    OHP - 145x10, 150x9, 155 5x5, 165x6, 190x1(@180 bw)
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 190 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201

jstarcarr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This really helps the grip, this is most people's weak point. It takes a while to get used to and for the strength to go up, but it's worth it.

jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000) jademonkey is just really nice. (+1000)
    I tried hook grip and couldn't even keep my thumb under. Hands too small and can only barely reach my thumb and no way it stays under. This with just the bar. I might try with the skinny pink barbell.
    Current.....................335 / 285 / 480............181 lbs
    July 1, 2019.................................................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Early March 2019......275 / 245 / 405.............173 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Been trying to get used to hook grip and so far it really Sucks.

I setup a training block that has a lot of submaximal deadlifts.

Did 5x10 at 335 pounds today and by the fifth set I had to switch to mixed grip.

I also can't pull anything over 75% with it yet. How long did it take y'all to get used to it? I have pretty freaking short fingers. I would imagine it Sucks considerably less with bigger hands
    Make sure that thumb runs length of the bar before wrapping. Also, don't press the thumbnail. I wouldn't use it for any kind of volume, just heavy singles. For getting used to, it doesn't hurt now that I do it right so I just went straight to max weights.

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Didn't work for me, apparently my hands aren't big enough relative to the bar I use or something. I just couldn't get a tight lock. I use mixed grip for warmups and straps w/double overhand for work sets. I don't compete so it's not a problem.

jstarcarr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    I tried hook grip and couldn't even keep my thumb under. Hands too small and can only barely reach my thumb and no way it stays under. This with just the bar. I might try with the skinny pink barbell.
    I don't have my thumb under the bar, just leave it free.

Originally Posted by jstarcarr View Post
    I don't have my thumb under the bar, just leave it free.
    So then when grip fails 100+ lbs before back does, how do you train back?