bonofre is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Do you add calories burned while standing, sitting to you BMR?

Hello guys so I have calculated my basal metabolic rate, using the formula on the wikipedia article about it, it gives me an aprox. of 1850 calories. This number is the amount of calories my body needs to exist (breath, sleep, etc) right?

I have a job at a restaurant where I stand for somewhere around 6 hours, 3 of those hours I'm mostly standing in the same place and other 3 hours I walk around the restaurant which isn't that big, so given that I'm a 153lb male, 5'11 and 21 years old how many calories do I burn? Do I even need to add those calories to my BMR? What about calories burned while sitting and other activities? What else do I need to add to know my total number of calories? I'd appreciate some help from you guys.

Thanks!

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bonofre View Post
    Hello guys so I have calculated my basal metabolic rate, using the formula on the wikipedia article about it, it gives me an aprox. of 1850 calories. This number is the amount of calories my body needs to exist (breath, sleep, etc) right?

I have a job at a restaurant where I stand for somewhere around 6 hours, 3 of those hours I'm mostly standing in the same place and other 3 hours I walk around the restaurant which isn't that big, so given that I'm a 153lb male, 5'11 and 21 years old how many calories do I burn? Do I even need to add those calories to my BMR? What about calories burned while sitting and other activities? What else do I need to add to know my total number of calories? I'd appreciate some help from you guys.

Thanks!
    Correct.. BMR = zero movement, not standing.

Standing actually doesn't burn that much more than sitting if you're 100% stationary, maybe an additional 10-15cals per hour.

The walking part is where you'd burn more, but that'll depend on distance traveled, etc.

Most people can assume about 80calories/mile talked.

And yes, of course you need to eat above your BMR if your goal is to maintain or gain weight, but that depends on what you're trying to do.

Are you lifting weights?

If you're just starting out, don't use a BMR calculator, just use a TDEE calculator, try eating according to those numbers for 2 weeks, and see if your average moving scale weight changes.

https://tdeecalculator.net/
    The power of carbs compels me!

bonofre is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been on and off in the past and got moderate/mediocre results.

I used to calculate my basal metabolic rate, add a 300 calories surplus and calculated my macros from there but I never managed to hit my goals properly, when bulking I would barely gain weight, then when cutting I would lose weight dramatically and I would lose a lot of muscle.

I think there were some discrepancies as to how I was calculating my calories. And I want to make it right this time.

I just don't know what I have to add to get to my calorie goal. If you don't mind me asking how would you in great detail personally calculate your calorie goal if you were trying to clean bulk after you got a 1800calorie BMR, what other things do you add to this number?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You're trying to be too precise. The measurement errors in BMR, daily activity, formal exercise, NEAT, food labelling, portion control etc. all conspire to make this a futile thing to do.

Simply eat the same calories every day. Adjust once every 2 weeks depending on which way your weight trends (after accounting for day to day random weight fluctuations)

1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000) 1MANU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Overthinking. Mind games. Avoid.
    Strong mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE.

PBateman2 is my hero.