SamHay93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I need advice 26 Y/o 230 lbs Male, 1500 Kcals no movement in weight.

As the title explains I'm a 26 year old male, weighing in at 230 lbs at 29.6% Bodyfat. My lean mass is 161 lbs, and I've been on a bit of a transformation the past year. Since May '19 I've lost nearly 6 stone in weight whilst gaining a few lbs of lean mass along the way.

A little backstory, my peak weight was 347 lbs back in August '17, graduated university & lost around 30-40 lbs from getting a job and not drinking alcohol 6 nights a week, who'd have thought. In May '19 I weighed around 22 stone, and decided to dedicate and motivate myself to lose weight, to feel & look better. Now I'm STUCK at 230 lbs and it's beginning to grow increasingly demoralising.

I've taught myself how to track food, macros & most of the "Science" I could behind fitness, health & other. However, I'm still VERY new to this whole world and as such I was looking for advice or reasons why my issue exists.

I've brought my total calorific intake down to 1500 kcals, as I lost weight so to my daily consumed calories came down. I know it might seem drastic but at 29% BF I think this low level of kcals is reasonable? It may not be, here's where I'm looking for advice.

My daily Macro breakdown is :

Protein :130-180G
    Fats : 45-70g
    Carbs : I just eat till targeted 1500kcals sometimes 80g sometimes 140g

I eat exclusively whole foods, so I cook my own brown rice, fresh chicken and eggs daily I make smoothies in the morning for breakfast etc. The only sugar I consume is natural sugars found in fruits & for the most part I'd consider my diet extremely "Clean" There are however 2 allowances for "cheat" items a week, and even still they'd usually take me maybe 100-200 kcals over 1500 total as I swap and change items to make them fit.

Regarding my activity, I know I can do more in the gym however I work 2 jobs and it's difficult to find time to get into the gym more than maybe once a week currently.
    My weekly schedule :
    - Bike riding to and from work for approx 30-40 mins a day,
    - Weight lifting 1-2 times a week,
    - I try to hit 50 press-ups & 50 sit ups each morning as part of my day start routine,
    - My 2 jobs are fairly "physical" one being a barman and I rack up 10000 steps a shift 5 days a week & my other job is a glazier so am physically active a fair bit.

Is there any reason I'm not seeing my weight move? I'm considering seeking medical advice in case there is an underlying health issue or is my body comfortable here and this is where I need to put in alot more effort in the weight room to drop fat & build lean mass? My weight has been around 230 + or - 2 or 3lbs about 3 weeks now. I was even extremely disciplined over the holiday period which makes it slightly more annoying nothing's budged.

Appreciations & thanks in advance!

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it doesn't drop after 3 weeks of consistently eating at X calories, drop your calories. Any off-diet days will mess that up so if you were "strct" around the holidays most days but overate on Christmas and NYE, for instance, that's not 3 solid weeks of consistent dieting.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    If it doesn't drop after 3 weeks of consistently eating at X calories, drop your calories. Any off-diet days will mess that up so if you were "strct" around the holidays most days but overate on Christmas and NYE, for instance, that's not 3 solid weeks of consistent dieting.
    I think I overate maybe once or twice by max 25% so I think my worst day still clocked in JUST over 2k Kcals, I simply can't eat that much anymore without being "full"

My only issue with restricting calories even further would be the loss of lean mass alongside it, while im trying to budge this BF% I don't want to kill off Lean mass in bulk.
    I'm gonna continue 1500 for maybe another week, if theres no change I'll drop kcals somehow, I'll try 1300 for 10 days or so, I've been considering it as is, but struggling to find the mentality to go that sparse on food each day.
    It feels as if to continually hit my protein limit I'd have to basically be in a ketogenic cycle at this point. Hmm, if 1300 works I'll stick to it for another month or so then!

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're not losing any weight but you are lifting and getting enough protein, you do not need to worry about muscle loss. Even if you drop your intake by 200 cal/day. That's because not losing weight means that you're eating at maintenance and eating at maintenance LESS 200 cals is not going to cause muscle loss.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    If you're not losing any weight but you are lifting and getting enough protein, you do not need to worry about muscle loss. Even if you drop your intake by 200 cal/day. That's because not losing weight means that you're eating at maintenance and eating at maintenance LESS 200 cals is not going to cause muscle loss.
    This...

You're eating a lot more than you think you are. If you're not losing any weight at all (eating at maintenance), then why would you think that by dropping calories further you would risk muscle loss?
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    This...

You're eating a lot more than you think you are. If you're not losing any weight at all (eating at maintenance), then why would you think that by dropping calories further you would risk muscle loss?
    I'll drop my kcals further maybe I got an extremely slow metabolism or thyroid function, I'll check in with the doctors to establish this. I just assumed going as low as 1300 kcals would be simply unfeasible as you HAVE to eat right?

According to my biometrics my BMR is 1950 kcals, and that puts my maintenance with activity in the 2800kcals range, but when I eat ANYWHERE near that naturally I accumulate lean mass with the physical work I do, but my body packs on the lbs of fat. Rather demotivating seeing how far I've come.

In regards to overeating I genuinely considered mathematical error on my part on counting but I've kept a concise and accurate food diary everyday now for the past 5 months. Alas maybe I'll just take it on the chin and stay at 230 if nothing else changes and 1300 kcals seems improbable. I'm quite pleased with how far I've come this far as is. I can wait until my life is less hectic to embark on a proper program at this weight to recomp

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SamHay93 View Post
    I'll drop my kcals further maybe I got an extremely slow metabolism or thyroid function, I'll check in with the doctors to establish this. I just assumed going as low as 1300 kcals would be simply unfeasible as you HAVE to eat right?

According to my biometrics my BMR is 1950 kcals, and that puts my maintenance with activity in the 2800kcals range, but when I eat ANYWHERE near that naturally I accumulate lean mass with the physical work I do, but my body packs on the lbs of fat. Rather demotivating seeing how far I've come.

In regards to overeating I genuinely considered mathematical error on my part on counting but I've kept a concise and accurate food diary everyday now for the past 5 months. Alas maybe I'll just take it on the chin and stay at 230 if nothing else changes and 1300 kcals seems improbable. I'm quite pleased with how far I've come this far as is. I can wait until my life is less hectic to embark on a proper program at this weight to recomp
    you need to concentrate on fatloss. Recomp shouldn’t even be part of the discussion. You are eating and drinking far more than 1500 cals a day. Maybe a select day once in awhile but not consistent enough to be a valid average daily amount. Fatloss is based on overall weekly/monthly calories.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    you need to concentrate on fatloss. Recomp shouldn’t even be part of the discussion. You are eating and drinking far more than 1500 cals a day. Maybe a select day once in awhile but not consistent enough to be a valid average daily amount. Fatloss is based on overall weekly/monthly calories.
    See, I don't think I am eating over 1500 at all, I meticulously weigh every gram of food and input it into my apps. Recomp was just something I know I need to work on in the "Future" When I don't know, I also know it's not really a priority right now, getting my BF% is more important. I'll buy new scales, & start a fresh Monday.

An Example day for me would be as followed

I literally eat the same set of meals each day

Breakfast
    Chia Seed 15g (64 kcals)
    Whey Isol Banana 30g (115 kcals)
    Banana 85-110g based on Banana size 76-107 kcals
    Oats 20g (73Kcals)
    Smooth wholenut pnut butter 15g (94 Kcal)

Top end my breakfast is 450Kcals or there abouts

Lunch 3 Large eggs (270 Kcals)
    Pea Snaps 21g (88Kcal)
    Franks Hot Sauce 3 Tbsp (14kcals)

Lunch would be 400 peak

Dinner is always
    Grilled chicken breast, skinless &
    Brown rice.

Depending on breast size I'll usually pair it with 150g prepared rice. Again we're looking at about 550kcals I keep ALL of this very consistent as I don't really "Need" to eat elaborate meals. Note this is also with a handful of spinach and Rocket Kcals from those would be under 30 combined.

So by end of day 3 meals I'm at 1400 Kcals. I usually drop in 1 more scoop of Whey or Casein late evening to push my protein up which puts me directly in the 1480-1550 Kcals range.

Is there anyway to "Optimise" this or should I just resort to as mentioned the drop of calories to even more drastic levels.

Again, thanks in advance!

**Edit : Regarding drinks, I drink water & black coffee only. I don't drink sodas or any fruit beverage. Coffees maybe 4 cups a day, water maybe 4L

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    See, I don't think I am eating over 1500 at all, I meticulously weigh every gram of food and input it into my apps. Recomp was just something I know I need to work on in the "Future" When I don't know, I also know it's not really a priority right now, getting my BF% is more important. I'll buy new scales, & start a fresh Monday.

Breakfast
    Chia Seed 15g (64 kcals)
    Oats 20g (73Kcals)

Pea Snaps 21g (88Kcal)

Lunch would be 400 peak

Dinner is always
    Brown rice.

Depending on breast size I'll usually pair it with 150g prepared rice. Again we're looking at about 550kcals I keep ALL of this very consistent as I don't really "Need" to eat elaborate meals. Note this is also with a handful of spinach and Rocket Kcals from those would be under 30 combined.

So by end of day 3 meals I'm at 1400 Kcals. I usually drop in 1 more scoop of Whey or Casein late evening to push my protein up which puts me directly in the 1480-1550 Kcals range.

Is there anyway to "Optimise" this or should I just resort to as mentioned the drop of calories to even more drastic levels.

**Edit : Regarding drinks, I drink water & black coffee only. I don't drink sodas or any fruit beverage. Coffees maybe 4 cups a day, water maybe 4L
    posting all this is insignificant to the problem. The problem is that you’re taking in a lot more on a weekly basis than you think and as far as drastic you’re nowhere close if at your weight you aren’t losing so yes drop 200 a day every day as a start. Don’t keep defending your counting accuracy, these posts get old.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Breakfast
    Chia Seed 15g (64 kcals)
    Oats 20g (73Kcals)

Pea Snaps 21g (88Kcal)

Lunch would be 400 peak

Dinner is always
    Brown rice.

Stop, just stop... Everyone knows damn well that you don't eat the same thing every single day. You never go out with friends or have a meal out? I know you're not holed up in your house eating chicken breast and brown rice every night, thats not sustainable and you'll go crazy. Sure my breakfast is usually the same thing most days, but my lunch and dinner vary wildly every single day, nobody eats like you're claiming to eat. And if someone did eat like you're claiming to then they would have major nutritional imbalances due to a lack of variation in your diet to provide enough essential nutrients.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    posting all this is insignificant to the problem. The problem is that you’re taking in a lot more on a weekly basis than you think and as far as drastic you’re nowhere close if at your weight you aren’t losing so yes drop 200 a day every day as a start. Don’t keep defending your counting accuracy, these posts get old.
    I appreciate the posts may get old but I don't know how I can be inaccurate by more than lets say 2% per day. Every gram that enters my body is weighed so I don't see that being a contributing variable as to my barrier. My dedication to detail in food has become so important to me my family and room mates have described it as near on an unhealthy problem in its own.

Which is why I initially asked for advice as 0 shift in weight was beginning to bring my motivation down which in turn made me less thrilled to eat such small quantities everyday. As said by a few people at this point I'm going to try getting to 1300 kcals or thereabouts daily, I'll test its feasibility & work from there. Logically I know my initial 1700 kcals per day which helped me get to where I am today wasn't going to work ALL the way down to my target 210 lbs.

Basically my takeaway is try 1300, see what happens if nothing adjust and rinse n repeat basic hypothesis and practical right? Only real variable would be me and how I feel on the new plan(s)

Thanks!

Stop, just stop... Everyone knows damn well that you don't eat the same thing every single day. You never go out with friends or have a meal out? I know you're not holed up in your house eating chicken breast and brown rice every night, thats not sustainable and you'll go crazy. Sure my breakfast is usually the same thing most days, but my lunch and dinner vary wildly every single day, nobody eats like you're claiming to eat. And if someone did eat like you're claiming to then they would have major nutritional imbalances due to a lack of variation in your diet to provide enough essential nutrients.
    I work nights, so I genuinely never have time to go out to have meals with friends / family & I don't have a problem turning down alcohol so I don't have that problem either.

I prep in advance most of my daily meals and this was "Clean" and convenient. As mentioned I add spinach / rocket whenever to add micros, I wish I could add a wide array of fruits n vegs however, as a grown man if I chew on onion the texture alone throws me into involuntary vomiting, no ifs or buts that's the bottomline, I've never been able to change the way my body reacts to certain textures. Here's the kicker I love onion.....

I genuinely am a eat to live kind of person, I don't live to eat anymore. Which is where my frustrations are compounded, as apart from the occasional salmon with the eggs I swing into my diet or other "Macro" appropriate meals this baseline is for all intentions and purposes what I eat on a day to day basis. Maybe this is my key problem, variation. Maybe I need to throw my diet into cycles and stop my body from becoming accustom to a certain routine, build a program? What would you suggest as alternatives ? My last outing for a break from this routine with family was a Nandos for dinner of chicken breast & sweet potato fries & house salad, even that didn't take me out of kcals.

I'm determined to get fitter, I'm determined to learn more. Which is why I'm here afterall. I didn't lose near 9 stone by accident, and I don't intend to be stopped 20 lbs from my "target".

Originally Posted by samhay93 View Post
    i work nights, so i genuinely never have time to go out to have meals with friends / family & i don't have a problem turning down alcohol so i don't have that problem either.

I prep in advance most of my daily meals and this was "clean" and convenient. As mentioned i add spinach / rocket whenever to add micros, i wish i could add a wide array of fruits n vegs however, as a grown man if i chew on onion the texture alone throws me into involuntary vomiting, no ifs or buts that's the bottomline, i've never been able to change the way my body reacts to certain textures. Here's the kicker i love onion.....

I genuinely am a eat to live kind of person, i don't live to eat anymore. Which is where my frustrations are compounded, as apart from the occasional salmon with the eggs i swing into my diet or other "macro" appropriate meals this baseline is for all intentions and purposes what i eat on a day to day basis. Maybe this is my key problem, variation. Maybe i need to throw my diet into cycles and stop my body from becoming accustom to a certain routine, build a program? What would you suggest as alternatives ? My last outing for a break from this routine with family was a nandos for dinner of chicken breast & sweet potato fries & house salad, even that didn't take me out of kcals.

I'm determined to get fitter, i'm determined to learn more. Which is why i'm here afterall. I didn't lose near 9 stone by accident, and i don't intend to be stopped 20 lbs from my "target".
    j
    f
    c

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

I eat 1500 cals before lunchtime even hits and I weigh 15 lbs less than you do, no way are you eating 1500 cals every day, day-in day-out. Regardless, even if you think you're eating 1500 calories and you're still not losing weight, the solution is always EAT LESS.

Bottom line, you cannot maintain weight if you're in a caloric deficit.

Read this: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Thats it for me, end of my input to this thread.

I eat 1500 cals before lunchtime even hits and I weigh 15 lbs less than you do, no way are you eating 1500 cals every day, day-in day-out. Regardless, even if you think you're eating 1500 calories and you're still not losing weight, the solution is always EAT LESS.

Bottom line, you cannot maintain weight if you're in a caloric deficit.

Read this: xxx

Thats it for me, end of my input to this thread.
    This is exactly the kind of reading I needed, thank you! I'll reconsider my accuracy, I'll double check everything. Any deficit should cause loss I know that, and it's proven to me more now that it's not a metabolic change. Guess I'll swap about some ingredients to try and get a more accurate idea of whats "Really" going on. Maybe I'm just blind to an obvious problem.