Thread: Knee Pain

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Knee Pain

A few weeks ago I randomly developed knee pain under my right knee cap during a set of squats (after returning from a deload). Since, the pain has been off and on, triggered by quad exercises but back squats were mostly okay after a decent warmup. Today I went in to squat and it was both knees this time... wtf? The pain is slightly below the kneecap, toward the right on my left knee and the left on my right. I’m going to schedule out for the doc but does anyone know what could be going on?

In the meantime, I want to take at least a session or 2 off squats, leg presses and leg extensions and see if things improve at all. Any ideas about temporary knee-friendly substitutions? Hip thrusts maybe, what else?

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fascial adhesions often build up with heavy training. Muscles lose their normal elasticity and begin tugging on tendons. In this case, the patellar tendon. Try these fascial release techniques on the quadriceps and around the knee. This is a video I give to a lot of my patients with similar symptoms. Good luck at the docs!

https://youtu.be/NwRKrjZbouk
    2007 Lightweight Masters National Champ

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks!

So I bought a Taichi ball and ran thru that entire sequence before my regular lower body day warm-up, and my right knee still hurt like a b!tch! At certain points it even hurt to use the ball, and if I accidentally lightly knocked it with something it worsened. Later on I noticed a massive knot on top of the knee—whether that was there before I’m not sure—which shrunk overnight but is still pretty apparent. Not sure what I may have done wrong, if anything...

drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drjoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fascial release work has to be performed in a progressive manner. Easy at first and then slowly increase the intensity on each treatment. Perhaps you went a little to deep on the first session. Keep in mind, fascial release type work is not an immediate fix. It takes time because fascial adhesions take time to form and therefore it requires time to break them up. Sore muscles are not uncommon following any type of massage ball rolling ( or any type of fascial release work). Try icing the area for about 20 minutes after a session. Hope that helps.

JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100) JuanLee56 is not very well liked. (-100)

pain

may be prior to settling on knee medical procedure, your doctor may attempt a few knee medical procedure choices to ease the torment and aggravation in your knee.

So knock on wood, but I’ve managed to eliminate 99% of my knee pain during squats. Awesome, but it remains a problem for other quad exercises. Do I just need to be consistent and patient with these drills, or do I need to take further action? Medical procedures aren’t reali$$$$$tic, unfortunately.

Nothing can replace good hands on therapy/treatment with a qualified sports doctor/therapist. With that being said, fascial release work is something that requires time. It takes consistent work and patience. Sounds like it's going in the right direction so I would keep working on it. Hang in there!

slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimchopra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you don't mind me asking, did you just do physical therapy? And how long did it take?

I'm dealing with some knee pain that's been diagnosed as PPS. I've been doing some leg strengthening exercises several times daily and just want to make sure that the effort will pay off.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help, drjoe! I’ll keep on with it and hope for the best.

And no @slimchopra I haven’t done any PT (for this issue). I’ll have to look into it, though it might be tough given that I’ve been cut off from 2 of the most reputable facilities in the city because of an inability to pay my bills... got some excellent treatment in for my lower back though. Bodybuilding while poor is notttt easy.