Thread: Damn Hernia

LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unhappy Damn Hernia

So I was at the end of my Fierce 5 workout and I was doing some weighted crunches. I'm in my second set and I feel something pop out next to belly button. I dropped the weight the weight gingerly while trying to push whatever that was in. I've had this happen before quite a few times in my life but I never bothered to get it checked out. It was never this bad. Dr. Google says it is abdominal hernia. I have a real Dr's appointment on Monday. Looks like my days of lifting anything heavy are gone.

I'm so bummed. Last time I was this dedicated, I ran StrongLifts for 6 months and was doing so well. Life got in the way, I had to move and sell all my equipment a couple of years ago. I finally got everything back together three months ago. And now it's back to square zero. Anyone in the same boat?

mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LifterWest View Post
    So I was at the end of my Fierce 5 workout and I was doing some weighted crunches. I'm in my second set and I feel something pop out next to belly button. I dropped the weight the weight gingerly while trying to push whatever that was in. I've had this happen before quite a few times in my life but I never bothered to get it checked out. It was never this bad. Dr. Google says it is abdominal hernia. I have a real Dr's appointment on Monday. Looks like my days of lifting anything heavy are gone.

I'm so bummed. Last time I was this dedicated, I ran StrongLifts for 6 months and was doing so well. Life got in the way, I had to move and sell all my equipment a couple of years ago. I finally got everything back together three months ago. And now it's back to square zero. Anyone in the same boat?
    Last year, just about this time, had a hernia fixed - little bump just above the belly button. Don't think it was from lifting, more likely a bad cold/cough from Nov 2018. Had it checked out - between check out and surgery, doc said don't need to hold back, just stop if anything hurts (point of reference, around a 225lb deadlift then, so not "heavy" heavy, just heavy for me). Laproscopic procedure - was home from work for a week, no lifting at all for 2 weeks. First post-op visit, doc gave me the ok to restart weights at around 50%, ramp up 10% each week. 2nd post-op at six weeks, he gave me the 100% ok. No problems since. You're going to a doc, so ask about the implications - lifting before surgery (if called for), and ramp up recommendations afterwards.

LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mikeasu View Post
    Last year, just about this time, had a hernia fixed - little bump just above the belly button. Don't think it was from lifting, more likely a bad cold/cough from Nov 2018. Had it checked out - between check out and surgery, doc said don't need to hold back, just stop if anything hurts (point of reference, around a 225lb deadlift then, so not "heavy" heavy, just heavy for me). Laproscopic procedure - was home from work for a week, no lifting at all for 2 weeks. First post-op visit, doc gave me the ok to restart weights at around 50%, ramp up 10% each week. 2nd post-op at six weeks, he gave me the 100% ok. No problems since. You're going to a doc, so ask about the implications - lifting before surgery (if called for), and ramp up recommendations afterwards.
    Thanks mikeasu! That's encouraging to hear!