mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Whats your max rate of muscle gain?

Hey,

So I'm into my second year of serious weight training. Last year I did the F5 novice, however I bulked to fast, I was only on about 350cal.day surplus. But I gained a lot of fat and ended up spending 7 months of the year cutting. My overall mass gains weren't that good.

Looking back on my bodyfat data etc, I've estimated that I can gain about 90 - 100 grams of lean muscle a week. This corresponds to about 0.95lb/month. This seems like the lower end of the scales to me. I keep reading you can put on 1-2lb/month.

This year I've made an effort to get down to 10%bf first. I'm now very light (145lbs total body weight) to try and get my nutrient partitioning higher. I'm also being very strict and making sure I'm eating an average of 200-220cal surplus per day. I figure that'll lead to 200gram weight gain per week of which 50%is muscle.

I'm 36years old. What's other experience with their lean mass gains?? Is my age against me?

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started 15 months ago with more muscle that joe couch potato (from prior gymnastics) and ~10 lbs to re-gain after losing it to race bikes for a few years.

First 7 months I'd guess I added back that ~10 lbs lean mass
    Cut 2 months
    Last 6 months I'd guess ~6-7 lbs lean mass
    Age 35.
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    YMMRFV

(Your Mileage May Really F****ng Vary)

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't think your age is holding you back. I think your 200-220 calorie surplus is correct. You did not mention your protein intake. For ideal muscle growth, you will probably need minimum 120g of protein spread throughout the day. Most importantly, you need to make progress on your lifts to grow your muscles. If you ain't lifting more weight in 6 months, your muscles won't be bigger. Good luck.

mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10) mojojonz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    I don't think your age is holding you back. I think your 200-220 calorie surplus is correct. You did not mention your protein intake. For ideal muscle growth, you will probably need minimum 120g of protein spread throughout the day. Most importantly, you need to make progress on your lifts to grow your muscles. If you ain't lifting more weight in 6 months, your muscles won't be bigger. Good luck.
    Usually get 0.8g/lb protein so ~115. Yup my lifts are definitely getting better, i'm expecting with the finer tuning of my calories I can spend like 9-10months lean bulking before a short cut. I think that's going to be a really big factor and getting overall gains. Last year, I put on 8kg in 5months of which only 2kg was muscle. I then spent 5months cutting and lost 1kg of muscle. Net gain 1kg muscle in 10months from March.

The margins feel really tight to me. I.e. It seems I REALLY have to pay attention the rate of weight gain. Cause my body will cap out at about 100grams (1lb/month) of lean muscle per week.

So the aim is for 10months bulking = 10lbs lean muscle gains, then 2months cutting (maybe lose 1lb muslce in the process) = net gain of say 9lbs for the year

WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WizurdSleeve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mojojonz View Post
    Hey,

So I'm into my second year of serious weight training. Last year I did the F5 novice, however I bulked to fast, I was only on about 350cal.day surplus. But I gained a lot of fat and ended up spending 7 months of the year cutting. My overall mass gains weren't that good.

Looking back on my bodyfat data etc, I've estimated that I can gain about 90 - 100 grams of lean muscle a week. This corresponds to about 0.95lb/month. This seems like the lower end of the scales to me. I keep reading you can put on 1-2lb/month.

This year I've made an effort to get down to 10%bf first. I'm now very light (145lbs total body weight) to try and get my nutrient partitioning higher. I'm also being very strict and making sure I'm eating an average of 200-220cal surplus per day. I figure that'll lead to 200gram weight gain per week of which 50%is muscle.

I'm 36years old. What's other experience with their lean mass gains?? Is my age against me?
    I feel like I just completed your year 1 experience. I'm around 35 and into my first year of serious weight training. I dirty bulked and now have a decent size spare tire around my waist. I'm just bordering skinny fat. I'm still gaining strength and sticking with the program but am deciding to clean up my diet while moving forward.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mojojonz View Post
    Usually get 0.8g/lb protein so ~115. Yup my lifts are definitely getting better, i'm expecting with the finer tuning of my calories I can spend like 9-10months lean bulking before a short cut. I think that's going to be a really big factor and getting overall gains. Last year, I put on 8kg in 5months of which only 2kg was muscle. I then spent 5months cutting and lost 1kg of muscle. Net gain 1kg muscle in 10months from March.

The margins feel really tight to me. I.e. It seems I REALLY have to pay attention the rate of weight gain. Cause my body will cap out at about 100grams (1lb/month) of lean muscle per week.

So the aim is for 10months bulking = 10lbs lean muscle gains, then 2months cutting (maybe lose 1lb muslce in the process) = net gain of say 9lbs for the year
    The margins ARE tight, for sure. This is a little different for everyone, so you're going to be doing a lot of trial and error. I think putting on a pound a month is for untrained novices at the beginning of their training journey. It does slow down over time. However, 2kg of muscle in 5 months is NOT bad. It's right in line with what you were told you could gain. And sure, you're going to lose some when cutting.

Pay attention to your training style, your volume, your frequency, your exercise selection, and rest, as well as diet. Don't be afraid to change things up if necessary, but don't be too quick to do it either. Because you also need consistency.

Sound head scratching? It can be. The basics are true for nearly everyone, but the devil is in the details. At least you ARE progressing, so don't lose sight of that fact, and don't get discouraged. You just have to find your particular groove.

Welcome to periodization.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With the very slow bulks I do now, 3-4lbs lbm a year. Can't even see it hardly.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    With the very slow bulks I do now, 3-4lbs lbm a year. Can't even see it hardly.
    Agreed, last year I ran a controlled surplus for 8 months and then cut for 3 months and measuring as accurately as I can it looked like I gained 3 to 4 pounds of LBM in my 3rd year of lifting at 51 years old. I think now after running my first surplus I am looking more at maybe gaining 1 or 2 lbs of LBM in a whole year.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008