PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs down Any of you brahs regret your career choice?

I'm 25 years old accountant. Really regret my career choice. I earn 50k and I work in a ****ty firm at the moment but starting my CPA study so hopefully in 2-3 years time i'll be on at least 80k.

But i regret chosing this career at the moment. It's really boring and just crappy. Don't really know what else to do though. I just want to make bank. Reckon i should just stick it out for as long as ican stack as much cash as possible (Save), and just keep trying to progress in my career? i guess ih ave no other option.

*MISC Has changed my life and helped me more than my psychologist crew
    *Still miss my girlfriend who I dated for 7 months and broke up several months ago crew
    *Slowly improving crew
    *WIll own a Mustang GT by July 30 2020 even though i have $1,500 in my bank account crew

Registered User nas_is_illmatic's Avatar
    nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As a current CPA, I sort of do, but mostly don't. There's a part of me that wishes I did software engineering because the elite guys are much more for less work than I currently am. That said, I don't think I'd have the personality to do it, and I generally enjoy my work for the most part. The first few years in accounting are a slog, especially in public. You do boring work in audit, get paid nothing, and work a **** ton.

After 5-7 years plus making manager, however, you're a lot more valuable. The salary then appropriately scales a lot more, the work is higher-level and more interesting, and you're involved much more in analyzing and presenting data than preparing it. I understand life is tough right now, since you're in busy season, but remember nothing worth doing comes easy.

I post too much. SuperChieftain's Avatar
    SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SuperChieftain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Absolutely. Though mine wasn't a career choice so much, i just kind of fell into it and never left.
    Not an incel.
    Wk phaggot.
    Rep beggar.

Registered User AccountingMajor's Avatar
    AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP I'm in accounting. I'm surrounded by old people. No one my age or younger. It sucks because I can't really talk about hobbies or hang out with coworkers since they all have kids and are out if touch with being entry level.

nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nas_is_illmatic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AccountingMajor View Post
    OP I'm in accounting. I'm surrounded by old people. No one my age or younger. It sucks because I can't really talk about hobbies or hang out with coworkers since they all have kids and are out if touch with being entry level.
    What? Go to public at a Big 4/Large Firm. It's a revolving door of young 20-somethings.

AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AccountingMajor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nas_is_illmatic View Post
    What? Go to public at a Big 4/Large Firm. It's a revolving door of young 20-somethings.
    Never went public. Went to ****ty no name school so only pwc recruited like 1-2 a year lol

JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000) JPG13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have an accounting degree and my first job out of school was a blah data entry accounting role. I moved onto a software company and am a senior PM now. Your education doesn't have to define you.

Just gotta look and see what other opportunities are out there.
    Mod Neg Crew
    Green to red Crew
    Red to Green Crew

Originally Posted by JPG13 View Post
    I have an accounting degree and my first job out of school was a blah data entry accounting role. I moved onto a software company and am a senior PM now. Your education doesn't have to define you.

Just gotta look and see what other opportunities are out there.
    OP where you live, can you do this?

MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was an accountant, regretted it and moved in to Human Resources cos it HR is piss easy and more fun.

But grass is not always greener, sometimes i wish i was purely in internet marketing or something. Weird.

Originally Posted by MadFrogger View Post
    I was an accountant, regretted it and moved in to Human Resources cos it HR is piss easy and more fun.

But grass is not always greener, sometimes i wish i was purely in internet marketing or something. Weird.
    Why did you abandon accounting. What did you think about your supervisors?

DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    have you accounting guys looked into contract work that pays OT? Work 8 months, chill for the rest. Most big firms offer it now.

That might be my long term plan anyway.

Never went public. Went to ****ty no name school so only pwc recruited like 1-2 a year lol
    you went straight to industry? You could always try to re apply to big 4 and then after making senior try to exit to a much better position in industry

Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That doesn't matter. Plenty of mid sized firms.

The only real downside is that you are more limited on where you go after you pay your dues at the CPA firm.

Pay at the mid sized firms is just a hair lower.
    Finance Degree - USAF INTEL - IIFYM - Injured Crew - KTM XCW300 - Single Track Trail Rider - NRA Supporter - Shunned from MFC - Libertarian - Pragmatist
    B: 345, S 375, D 445
    Trying to get your ideal outcome often leads to the passing up of practical alternatives that deny your adversaries theirs.

Originally Posted by DassItMan View Post
    have you accounting guys looked into contract work that pays OT? Work 8 months, chill for the rest. Most big firms offer it now.

That might be my long term plan anyway.

you went straight to industry? You could always try to re apply to big 4 and then after making senior try to exit to a much better position in industry
    I'm good. My job is pretty cushy and don't want to leave.

Originally Posted by Austanian View Post
    That doesn't matter. Plenty of mid sized firms.

The only real downside is that you are more limited on where you go after you pay your dues at the CPA firm.

Pay at the mid sized firms is just a hair lower.
    I'm not saying I still want to go public lol. That was when I was drinking the Kool aid and professors said you should petty much kill yourself if you aren't going public.

I think it's going pretty well so far.

Industry is definitely cushy. Whenever you leave, try to get an industry job at a F500 or other large firm. Due to sheer size alone, you'll at least come across more 20-somethings. The people at the new Big 4 firm I joined are the only reason why I haven't left yet. The hours suck and the pay is under market (I could literally leave for something that pays 15% more at least), but there's a lot of opportunity to learn different skills, grow in title, and it's nice being at a place where 30 is "old"...for now.

Registered User ralphlaurenbrah's Avatar
    ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralphlaurenbrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by nas_is_illmatic View Post
    As a current CPA, I sort of do, but mostly don't. There's a part of me that wishes I did software engineering because the elite guys are much more for less work than I currently am. That said, I don't think I'd have the personality to do it, and I generally enjoy my work for the most part. The first few years in accounting are a slog, especially in public. You do boring work in audit, get paid nothing, and work a **** ton.

After 5-7 years plus making manager, however, you're a lot more valuable. The salary then appropriately scales a lot more, the work is higher-level and more interesting, and you're involved much more in analyzing and presenting data than preparing it. I understand life is tough right now, since you're in busy season, but remember nothing worth doing comes easy.
    Software engineers work a million hours. The grass is always greener.

Pretty sure every single high paying job now works a ****ton of hours and is super stressful. There are no easy roads to make a lot of money or even decent money. Whatever job you do that makes $100k+, you are either going to be working a ****load, extremely stressed, or both. That’s just the way it is.

Originally Posted by ralphlaurenbrah View Post
    Software engineers work a million hours. The grass is always greener.

Pretty sure every single high paying job now works a ****ton of hours and is super stressful. There are no easy roads to make a lot of money or even decent money. Whatever job you do that makes $100k+, you are either going to be working a ****load, extremely stressed, or both. That’s just the way it is.
    While in general, I would agree.

In accounting, however, I have worked with people who make close to $100K and they have the same cushy experience I did. It was the way higher ups making ridiculous amounts of money and they pretty much worked from 7am to 7pm (sometimes 12am midnight) consistently most days of the week.

Maybe the CPA needs to get out of public and go to industry? Since I know most accountants complain all the time online and on Reddit working 120 hours a week in public accounting for peanuts.

WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WinningBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    +1 for industry. I was a finance major and had some interviews for IB but didn't pull any offers so I went straight into industry. Now I'm 26, pulling $90k, had 4 different roles in 4.5 years, and only work 40 hrs a week. I'm not ballin like bankers but I have enough money to do whatever I want and the time to enjoy life

Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Austanian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not saying I still want to go public lol. That was when I was drinking the Kool aid and professors said you should petty much kill yourself if you aren't going public.

I think it's going pretty well so far.
    It is about progress. I went the Financial Analyst route.

The problem is that I now need an MBA or CPA to be viable much beyond 80K at the current cost of living in my area.

Public accountant route lets you get exposed to a lot of places really quick. You are also pushed to get your CPA leaving you as a STRONG candidate when Financial Management and Controller positions come in for smaller companies.
    Finance Degree - USAF INTEL - IIFYM - Injured Crew - KTM XCW300 - Single Track Trail Rider - NRA Supporter - Shunned from MFC - Libertarian - Pragmatist
    B: 345, S 375, D 445
    Trying to get your ideal outcome often leads to the passing up of practical alternatives that deny your adversaries theirs.

Originally Posted by Austanian View Post
    It is about progress. I went the Financial Analyst route.

The problem is that I now need an MBA or CPA to be viable much beyond 80K at the current cost of living in my area.

Public accountant route lets you get exposed to a lot of places really quick. You are also pushed to get your CPA leaving you as a STRONG candidate when Financial Management and Controller positions come in for smaller companies.
    I'm in CA and while I do see big companies asking for public experience. I do see positions at small companies not asking for that. The CPA is hands down required if you pursued accounting.

See if I made 80K I would be happy, career growth or not.
    Any more than that is just extra cash with potentially way more stress. I guess it's different priorities, but at 80K I definitely feel like I made it in life.

DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DassItMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    well everything has its pros and cons at the end of the day. I think working at a big 4 in a large hub of America such as LA NY or even most other big 4 offices located in urban areas would involve a hell of a lot more people your age especially with all the flux of interns that come in and out. You did say you were bored at work but if stable working hours is more important that is respectable. If you're working 9-5, have you tried finding pleasure outside of work? Feel like you can manage enough free time 9-5

PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000) PrepaidExpress is just really nice. (+1000)
    So brahs should i start my CPA?
    *MISC Has changed my life and helped me more than my psychologist crew
    *Still miss my girlfriend who I dated for 7 months and broke up several months ago crew
    *Slowly improving crew
    *WIll own a Mustang GT by July 30 2020 even though i have $1,500 in my bank account crew

Originally Posted by PrepaidExpress View Post
    Yes. You say you're in a shytty firm. Is it a public accounting firm? Regional firm or top 10? If you've been here for a while you could apply as an experienced hire to big 4.

Also your turn might cover some of your fees to write the exam. You're in America, you can do a lot with an accounting degree and the pay is so much higher. Make the most of it.

Originally Posted by DassItMan View Post
    well everything has its pros and cons at the end of the day. I think working at a big 4 in a large hub of America such as LA NY or even most other big 4 offices located in urban areas would involve a hell of a lot more people your age especially with all the flux of interns that come in and out. You did say you were bored at work but if stable working hours is more important that is respectable. If you're working 9-5, have you tried finding pleasure outside of work? Feel like you can manage enough free time 9-5
    Did I mention I was bored? I don't think i said that lol that was the OP.
    At work I haven't been bored since I was still in school doing grunt work. I was bored as hell in school and stressed out.

Outside of work is me time definitely. If anything I might go back to my no name school for an MBA. But no idea if I should considering all my professors said an MBA is a waste of time.

TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yep.

I should've been a cowboy
    I should've learned to rope and ride
    Wearin' my six-shooter, ridin' my pony on a cattle drive
    Stealin' the young girls' hearts
    Just like Gene and Roy
    Singin' those campfire songs
    Woah, I should've been a cowboy

Edit: Sorry thought I was in the main misc.

I have a finance degree but wound up in insurance. From what other finance brahs say I'm glad I am where I am
    6'2"

OMAD results: 2/15/19-235, 10/13/19-190

OHP-205 Bench- 245 Squat - 405 C&J - 245

Originally Posted by PrepaidExpress View Post
    OP what state do you live in? While I will say that the CPA is a great idea. It depends on where you are located. If you are in CA like me there are infinite jobs here you may have to commute (2 hours+ a day) but the price of rent/house is impossible to afford comfortably without being in a relationship or having roommates.

Originally Posted by TBO1313 View Post
    Yep.
    I have a finance degree but wound up in insurance. From what other finance brahs say I'm glad I am where I am
    Why is that? Did they end up working for vector marketing?

TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TBO1313 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why is that? Did they end up working for vector marketing?
    All the finance jobs that pay well seem to require tons of hours. You either get crap pay or have to work 60 to 80 hours a week. The only exception is the guy I know in financial planning. He was able to get an established book of business so he isn't always having to do sales
    6'2"

OMAD results: 2/15/19-235, 10/13/19-190

OHP-205 Bench- 245 Squat - 405 C&J - 245

MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MacDaddy68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup working as an analyst at a fintech firm. Just accepted an offer to become a postal carrier for usps. Dasitmane
    Meet PR's
    565 dead(no belt)
    465 squat(no belt)
    315 bench(tendonitus)

Gym Pr's
    545x2(dead)(no belt)
    445 squat(no belt)
    375 bench
    230x5 standing military

Current location is Actually Cincinnati**