SamBriggs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question High calorie nutritional shake.... dangerous?

Hello! My name is Sam, I'm 20 years old and stand 5 foot 6 inches tall at 120 pounds. I have been consistently active and dedicated in gym since I was 14 years old, and I have developed great muscle control and strength; however, I've always struggled to eat enough calories per day to fuel weight gain and muscle growth (My father is of Asian heritage and has a small skeletal frame in comparison to most north american builds). I have recently come to the conclusion that in order to reach the weight gain I desire, I am going to start drinking my calories instead of choking on heaps of food that my appetite can't match. I'm targeting 2500+ calories a day and I have started to make heavy cream based shakes with the following ingredients: 1 Cup of heavy cream; 1.5 Table spoons of unsweetened peanut butter; 2/3 cup of rolled oats with flax & chia seeds; 30g whey isolate, and alternating fruits like bananas or strawberries.

Will drinking this cocktail twice daily lead to health issues? It's a very high calorie and thicc shake and i'm worried too much heavy cream in my diet will lead to issues. If anyone could give me any advice regarding this issue or their solutions to a high calorie intake please let me know, thanks!

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Heavy cream does have a lot of cals which is fine, but 1 cup has a ridiculous amount of saturated fat and cholesterol. Twice a day isn't good IMO.

2500 cals/day isn't particularly high calorie - not sure how you can't eat that much in a day along with a couple of more normal protein shakes.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A shake is fine but don't use the heavy cream.

Try to gain 1 or 2 pounds per month. Not more, or it will be too much fat.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Put some greek yogurt in their instead of the cream and then you don't need whey (taste gross imo) and can get a shake with plenty of protein and more nutrients and less SF.

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How the hell do you struggle to eat 2500 calories a day??

Getting 2/3rds of your calories from heavy cream probably isn't a good idea either nor is that amount of fat.

Eat some real meals like a pasta with meat, veggies and some fatty sauces. Put cheese, croutons and bacon bits on your caesar salads. If you need more calories get a Big Mac combo at McDonalds or something. Cook your food in the highest calorie oils.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Heavy cream does have a lot of cals which is fine, but 1 cup has a ridiculous amount of saturated fat and cholesterol. Twice a day isn't good IMO.

2500 cals/day isn't particularly high calorie - not sure how you can't eat that much in a day along with a couple of more normal protein shakes.
    Thanks for the response, do you have any recommendations to substitute heavy cream?

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SamBriggs View Post
    Thanks for the response, do you have any recommendations to substitute heavy cream?
    Add more oats, or banana, or PB... and just use something like 2% milk or even whole milk... would be better than the cream.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    Put some greek yogurt in their instead of the cream and then you don't need whey (taste gross imo) and can get a shake with plenty of protein and more nutrients and less SF.
    Thanks I'll give that a try!

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    A shake is fine but don't use the heavy cream.

Try to gain 1 or 2 pounds per month. Not more, or it will be too much fat.
    Oh okay thanks I'll keep that in mind!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Add more oats, or banana, or PB... and just use something like 2% milk or even whole milk... would be better than the cream.
    Okay, thanks! Yeah I was doubtful that much cream was more beneficial than its downsides.

J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you suggesting dropping the whey protein for Greek yogurt? That's a very bold claim that's completely counter to any conventional wisdom out there. Can you back that up with any evidence?

OP Exchange the cream for whole milk.

If you're worried about your health buy grass fed milk the fat profile in the milk is much more natural and healthier. Also make sure to buy real peanut butter with only peanuts (salt is okay) as ingredients. The modified oils they add to peanut butter are pretty nasty for your health especially if you are going to be consuming this twice a day.

Basically I would change it to the following:

1 Cup of Whole grass fed milk
    2 tablespoons of real natural peanut butter
    2/3 cups of rolled oats with flax & chia seeds
    30 grams whey isolate
    Banana or strawberries

I think that's pretty solid and should promote growth and not damage your body too much.

Just remember that at the end of the day any and all growth we do in our body has the potential to cause damage. Growth is damaging, it's just how it works. There is no way to increase growth without any risk. It's just about determining how much risk is acceptable and how much growth you actually want and finding a happy balance between the 2 and minimizing the risk as much as possible.

air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SamBriggs View Post
    I'd just add fruits and water and if I need any more cals I'd just eat them. I can eat 2,500 cals in one sitting if I needed to, and I'd enjoy doing it.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by J234 View Post
    Are you suggesting dropping the whey protein for Greek yogurt? That's a very bold claim that's completely counter to any conventional wisdom out there. Can you back that up with any evidence?
    Perhaps you missed the words "instead of the cream".

Anyway, you'll get the same results with protein from Greek yogurt as with whey protein.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol yup I said it tastes gross IN MY OPINION. Not sure if you read that part or not.

J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lol yup I said it tastes gross IN MY OPINION. Not sure if you read that part or not.
    I did read that sorry and if you don't like it you don't like it but don't assume others share that opinion. You're actually the first person I've ever heard say they don't like whey protein mixed with milk(or cream), banana, oats, and peanut butter. That sounds like it's delicious. I doubt you would even taste the whey in there.

Whey mixed plain with water doesn't taste that great but it's hardly noticeable how OP is drinking it.

Regardless Whey protein is a superior protein to the casein in your Greek yogurt. You could put both in there and that would make a great shake.

Regardless Whey protein is a superior protein to the casein in your Greek yogurt. You could put both in there and that would make a great shake.
    I have a different outlook on nutrition than you do. If one is consuming adequate protein throughout the day, then whether or not your shake contains casein or whey protein makes absolutely no difference in the long run. I would call that muddling in minutia.

Instead, I prefer to go for whole food sources as much as possible and refrain from using supplements, as they are just that. Supplementation where you cannot get a nutrient from real food. Whey protein has less B vitamins and minerals (potassium, calcium) than whey protein does, because it's a nutritionally void food meant to fill protein gaps. I don't get a lack of protein so I don't need to fill gaps with a supplement.

Once again, this is my opinion lol.

I have a different outlook on nutrition than you do. If one is consuming adequate protein throughout the day, then whether or not your shake contains casein or whey protein makes absolutely no difference in the long run. I would call that muddling in minutia.

Instead, I prefer to go for whole food sources as much as possible and refrain from using supplements, as they are just that. Supplementation where you cannot get a nutrient from real food. Whey protein has less B vitamins and minerals (potassium, calcium) than whey protein does, because it's a nutritionally void food meant to fill protein gaps. I don't get a lack of protein so I don't need to fill gaps with a supplement.

Once again, this is my opinion lol.
    Yeah that's fine you can have that opinion and I don't actually disagree with that general opinion just think in this case the whey protein in his shake is fine and will make for a better tasting, high quality shake with more calories, more protein, and better quality protein.

Greek Yogurt is not a whole food source though just so you know. It's quite heavily processed, sugar and other things are added, many things are removed, the process to make the yogurt is quite extensive. But this is deviating far from the topic, I don't think greek yogurt is bad, it's fine but it's just not a whole food.

Regardless Whey protein is a superior protein to the casein in your Greek yogurt.
    FYI: Whey stimulates MPS faster, while casein stimulates MPS for longer. You won't notice any difference for building muscle.

And that's with whey and casein alone. If you make a shake with fats, fiber and carbs, even the differences in digestion speed will largely disappear.

AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AdamWW has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Greek Yogurt is not a whole food source though just so you know. It's quite heavily processed, sugar and other things are added, many things are removed, the process to make the yogurt is quite extensive. But this is deviating far from the topic, I don't think greek yogurt is bad, it's fine but it's just not a whole food.
    Uh, i buy yoghurt that has zero added sugar....

Do you know what lactose is?

Plain greek yogurt is just milk + cultures....
    The power of carbs compels me!