Thread: Tennis elbow?

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Tennis elbow?

I've noticed, on a few occasions pain in my elbow on heavy presses(overhead or horizontal). And on tricep pushdowns

Pain is on the outer side of the elbow. It's more of a discomfort than pain actually. But, seeing as how it's probably gonna get worse if ignored, I wanna try to take action against it.

Sounds like tennis elbow. I don't have insurance, so I won't be seeking a medical professional's advice as I can't afford it.

At least, I'm gonna try and rehab it myself. I did a better job with my rotator cuff than when I was working with a pt, and that was much more severe.

Really, I think I can prevent it from becoming an issue by taking corrective action against it now.

So, my plan is

1. Cut out bicep/ tricep isolation. I already have done this a while ago. Would be nice to add them back I'm someday though

2. Stretching forearm/ wrist muscles. And the triceps, maybe? It seems logical but nobody seems to recommend that.

3. Mash the hell out of it with the foam roller.

4. It would appear wrist curls should help as well. Glad I have my wife's 3 pounders...

Any other suggestions? Other than seeing a doctor, cause it ain't happening. I guess I could go to the emergency room crying about it being torn or something, but that's a terrible plan.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Stop doing anything that aggravates it, you do not want it to get worse or become a chronic issue. Start doing eccentric exercises, the video below is a great example but you can use dumbbells as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Szyszak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WakingOp View Post
    I've noticed, on a few occasions pain in my elbow on heavy presses(overhead or horizontal). And on tricep pushdowns

Pain is on the outer side of the elbow. It's more of a discomfort than pain actually. But, seeing as how it's probably gonna get worse if ignored, I wanna try to take action against it.

Sounds like tennis elbow. I don't have insurance, so I won't be seeking a medical professional's advice as I can't afford it.

At least, I'm gonna try and rehab it myself. I did a better job with my rotator cuff than when I was working with a pt, and that was much more severe.

Really, I think I can prevent it from becoming an issue by taking corrective action against it now.

So, my plan is

1. Cut out bicep/ tricep isolation. I already have done this a while ago. Would be nice to add them back I'm someday though

2. Stretching forearm/ wrist muscles. And the triceps, maybe? It seems logical but nobody seems to recommend that.

3. Mash the hell out of it with the foam roller.

4. It would appear wrist curls should help as well. Glad I have my wife's 3 pounders...

Any other suggestions? Other than seeing a doctor, cause it ain't happening. I guess I could go to the emergency room crying about it being torn or something, but that's a terrible plan.

a lot of massages, mild stretching and eccentric movements are key to heal up tendon problems

Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tennis elbow is something I can help with. First, there is an easy way to make sure it is TE (or lateral epicondylitis) that you are dealing with. Hold your arm straight out, palm down. Find the pointy bone at the tip of the elbow. There is a bone right above the point bone. Push on that bone. If it hurts like hell, you have TE. Hold your arm straight out palm down. Keeping your arm straight at the elbow, rotate at the shoulder to reach down and pick up something off a table. If it hurts like fukk-all to pick anything up or if your arm is so weak you can't even pick up something light, you have TE.

When you have it, the only cure is rest, sometimes weeks or months. There is no magic cure, no pills, no surgery that can help. Sorry, boyo. Once it goes away and there is no longer any pain during the "push on the bone on top of you elbow" test, there are several exercises that you can do to prevent it from coming back. One is definitely wrist curls. I do them with every arm workout. Another is to extend your arm straight out and then bend your wrist to point your fingers straight down. Put your other palm across your knuckles and pull your hand toward you to stretch through your wrist and forearm. Hold for 15 seconds per "rep". Finally, get a fairly strong rubber band and wrap it around your thumb and your pointer finger until it's tight on your finger and thumb with about an inch of space between your thumb and finger. Then, move your finger away from your thumb against the resistance of the rubber band. Do 10-15 with each finger (pinky might be difficult). These exercises are all designed to stretch and strengthen the forearm muscles to prevent the TE from coming back.

WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WakingOp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well it didn't hurt like hell. It was pretty sensitive though. And I can pick things up fine. But, I think it's just starting to develop, it's only been a few times it's given me problems. But I want to try to prehab it before it gets to be full blown tendinitis

I forgot about the rubber bands, I'll get those too.

I've switched to a program with a lot less pushing, pulls don't SEEM to cause any problems. I'll never have a big bench anyway. So long as I can keep pulling I'm happy

So wrist curls(both directions? )
    Finger stretchy things with the rubber band
    And the stretching. It hurts my wrist to do that well before I start to feel a stretch in my forearm. Is that normal, that's just the tightest spot or something?

Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Stop doing anything that aggravates it, you do not want it to get worse or become a chronic issue. Start doing eccentric exercises, the video below is a great example but you can use dumbbells as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co
    Well it's been only isolated incidents that it just feels wrong while I'm pushing. I should just stop the press for a while? I think I'll try some dumbbells, or the machine. Maybe I can find something that doesn't hurt for a couple weeks. I don't wanna lose the little gains i have there.

Edit- it looks like if I were to use a dumbbell it would be like a reverse wrist curl? And can I use the foam roller instead of that hundred dollar stick he had?
    Last edited by WakingOp; 01-10-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jayarbie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well it didn't hurt like hell. It was pretty sensitive though. And I can pick things up fine. But, I think it's just starting to develop, it's only been a few times it's given me problems. But I want to try to prehab it before it gets to be full blown tendinitis

I forgot about the rubber bands, I'll get those too.

I've switched to a program with a lot less pushing, pulls don't SEEM to cause any problems. I'll never have a big bench anyway. So long as I can keep pulling I'm happy

So wrist curls(both directions? )
    Finger stretchy things with the rubber band
    And the stretching. It hurts my wrist to do that well before I start to feel a stretch in my forearm. Is that normal, that's just the tightest spot or something?
    That sounds good that you got it at a relatively mild stage. I guess as a regular tennis player, most people I know are not so lucky. As for the wrist stretch, try pulling down on your fingers instead of pushing against the knuckles and see if there is less wrist pain and more stretch that way. If it still hurts, in my non-professional opinion, I'd recommend not doing anything that hurts unless you can talk to a doctor or PT about it. For the wrist curls, I was told by my PT when I had TE to do the standard (i.e. palm up) wrist curls. He didn't mention anything about do them reverse, so I don't know how much that will help, but it certainly couldn't hurt if it doesn't hurt you to do them.

ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ncsuLuke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well it's been only isolated incidents that it just feels wrong while I'm pushing. I should just stop the press for a while? I think I'll try some dumbbells, or the machine. Maybe I can find something that doesn't hurt for a couple weeks. I don't wanna lose the little gains i have there.

Edit- it looks like if I were to use a dumbbell it would be like a reverse wrist curl? And can I use the foam roller instead of that hundred dollar stick he had?
    Yeah it would be the reverse wrist curl, the eccentric portion. As for the stick part, you can bypass it altogether in my opinion. That kind of massage feels good but it doesn't actually do anything to heal the injury. I would just stop whenever you have one of those isolated incidents and try something else to see if you can find something that doesn't cause any issues. It's all about preventing it from becoming a real issue.

bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bishdipbrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Alot of digging in your forearms upper arms.

Also avoid grips like pronated pulldowns and rows they seem to really stress that area.

Originally Posted by Jayarbie View Post
    That sounds good that you got it at a relatively mild stage. I guess as a regular tennis player, most people I know are not so lucky. As for the wrist stretch, try pulling down on your fingers instead of pushing against the knuckles and see if there is less wrist pain and more stretch that way. If it still hurts, in my non-professional opinion, I'd recommend not doing anything that hurts unless you can talk to a doctor or PT about it. For the wrist curls, I was told by my PT when I had TE to do the standard (i.e. palm up) wrist curls. He didn't mention anything about do them reverse, so I don't know how much that will help, but it certainly couldn't hurt if it doesn't hurt you to do them.
    Weird. It seems like what he's doing with the flexbar would be more like the other way around. I did since wrist curls yesterday, I couldn't do 10 pounds reverse curl. Seems like I should work on that regardless, since it'll likely end up causing problems later if I don't.

Well, thank you. I will do all this, and play it by ear on the presses for a while. I'm still gonna do them, but I'll stop if/ when it starts to hurt. Hopefully I can get enough to maintain at least. Ironically, I hit a new pr on the ohp yesterday with no pain. I really think it was the tricep pushdown that caused it. I'll have to use the rope when I bring them back(probably not for a good while, tbh I quit doing them anyway.

Oh... what do you think about those forearm braces? That may be a good bandaid in the meantime. Of course, I wouldn't try and skip the rehab. More than strong I want to be healthy/ mobile... which I've learned a good dose of strong helps with. Deadlifts were the best rehab for my low back that doctors told me I would have to live with. Even gave me 5 or 6 years worth of percocet for it. Just needed stronger spinal erectors,detectors, I now my back doesn't hurt since I got to 200 pounds(past that now)

Oh... what do you think about those forearm braces? That may be a good bandaid in the meantime. Of course, I wouldn't try and skip the rehab. More than strong I want to be healthy/ mobile... which I've learned a good dose of strong helps with. Deadlifts were the best rehab for my low back that doctors told me I would have to live with. Even gave me 5 or 6 years worth of percocet for it. Just needed stronger spinal erectors,detectors, I now my back doesn't hurt since I got to 200 pounds(past that now)
    In tennis, I know people who swear by these forearm bands:

I also know people who say they do nothing at all. I've never worn one. It looks uncomfortable to play in for me. When I had TE, I just waited it out (I had a bad case and it took 2+ months of no tennis, or left-handed tennis, which was interesting...). When I came back, outside of the rehab exercises I outlined above, I took some tennis-specific precautions like using synthetic strings strung looser instead of polyester and a more flexible racket balanced more towards the handle than the frame, and I didn't have a problem playing without the elbow band. So anyway, I guess the answer on that one is YMMV.

Guess I'll just skip it.

Just did the wrist curls again, man they sound terrible, all kinds of cracking going on with a 3 pound dumbbell. Not a good sign. I might have to stop strength training and do 6 months of rehab workouts instead. Seems like everything is messed up, but that could just be a cascade effect I guess.