jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question for the SAAS/Tech Sales Guys

Been selling insurance for the last 8-9 years with very limited growth opportunities aside from owning my own gig. I'm not interested in that seeing how this was just supposed to be a temporary, 'plan b.' Also for the last few years I've been 'learning to code' with limited success (every time I get in a groove, either get too busy with everything else or just stuck in a rut). It seems like it'd be a hard thing to break into without a degree or knowing someone who needs a code monkey.

But I was thinking why not combine the two and look into a tech sales gig? Kinda feel like I'm leaving a lot of money on the table if I continue to work in sales. Just wondering what background you guys in this field broke in through. I get the vibe there's a lot of cold-calling involved, only judging from the amount of digital marketing cold-calls we get in an average day from various companies. I don't have a problem with that given how long I've been doing what I've been doing. But, there are 2 things I might see as limiting factors when approaching another sales job. For 1, we don't do a lot of tracking and really only have a vague idea of growth, and don't know how to reflect that on a resume or in an interview. But I DO know we've grown (boss was a new agent who inherited a book). Also, given the nature of my current job I spend a lot of my time putting out other fires, so-to-speak and not always on sales.

Do any of you have any insight/input to offer?
    #chaga_gangsta

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bamp
    #chaga_gangsta

DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been at a SaaS company since 2014, first job out of college. Have moved from entry-level business development to a fully-remote closing role. If you find the right company (number of employees, amount of funding, future growth plans) you can move up fairly quickly.

IDK where you currently live or how old you are, but chances are if you landed a tech sales job you wouldn't be doing any cold calling... that is bit*h work that you can assign to your BDR. I haven't made a cold call in like three years by now.

IDK about money in the insurance sales world, but I'm 28 and making $160k/yr OTE right now... and my peers around the same age in the field are in a similar range. so SaaS sales definitely gives you the potential for good money.

If you PM me and LMK whereabout you live (no stalker) I could recommend some solid SaaS companies to look into.
    Be good, be great, be grateful.

Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cartiac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are good at it you are certainly not leaving money on the table doing sales. Sales is where you earn the big bucks if you have the skills. Even in tech sales is always about your ability to build relationships and influence people. The most important asset you can present as a sales person looking to advance is your contact list.

Originally Posted by DeusExTerra View Post
    I've been at a SaaS company since 2014, first job out of college. Have moved from entry-level business development to a fully-remote closing role. If you find the right company (number of employees, amount of funding, future growth plans) you can move up fairly quickly.

IDK where you currently live or how old you are, but chances are if you landed a tech sales job you wouldn't be doing any cold calling... that is bit*h work that you can assign to your BDR. I haven't made a cold call in like three years by now.

IDK about money in the insurance sales world, but I'm 28 and making $160k/yr OTE right now... and my peers around the same age in the field are in a similar range. so SaaS sales definitely gives you the potential for good money.

If you PM me and LMK whereabout you live (no stalker) I could recommend some solid SaaS companies to look into.
    Thanks, check your PMs.

Originally Posted by Cartiac View Post
    If you are good at it you are certainly not leaving money on the table doing sales. Sales is where you earn the big bucks if you have the skills. Even in tech sales is always about your ability to build relationships and influence people. The most important asset you can present as a sales person looking to advance is your contact list.
    Thanks for the input...the company I work for now is big but the job can be on the lower rung. Also by nature of the job I end up dealing with peoples' personal sht too often and it's kinda distracting at best and at worst kinda bums me out a bit. I'd like to get on the level where I'm dealing with people while they're at work and not getting too deep into anyone's lives.

Also just wondering what to expect if I land an interview. Like I said in the OP we don't really do a lot of tracking and I know I'll get asked about quotas. I don't have those so wondering if you guys have tips on spinning that to something positive.
    #chaga_gangsta

knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knightofday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DeusExTerra View Post

Chiming in to ask, whats a typical workday/week look ,ike for you? Are you traveling 4-5 daysa week and then working late at night in hotel rooms or at home? Is it an "always on the clock" type of career field? Please PM me or respond itt, any insight is greatly appreciated bruh.

Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Productivity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got into b2b SaaS sales 4 years ago when I was 21.
    Started off as an SDR and made $40k/yr. Fast forward now in enterprise sales and OTE is $220k+.

My career trajectory is not normal but if you work hard and you're good at your job you'll move up pretty quickly. That being said there is no work life balance. I work from 8am until 5PM but then have my laptop and phone with me all night (vacations/holidays included) to respond to client inquiries, put out fires ect. The money is great but it doesn't come easy. You'll be rewarded if you put in the work and mix in a bit of natural talent.

Find a company that has a great product and isn't super competitive yet. Think Splunk 4 years ago, Salesforce 6yrs ago etc.

Expect a lot of cold calling in your first couple of roles, where volume is everything. The higher you get the less volume there is and the more strategic you have to be.
    Last edited by Productivity; 01-14-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    Dominate Humbly

DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DeusExTerra is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by knightofday View Post
    Chiming in to ask, whats a typical workday/week look ,ike for you? Are you traveling 4-5 daysa week and then working late at night in hotel rooms or at home? Is it an "always on the clock" type of career field? Please PM me or respond itt, any insight is greatly appreciated bruh.
    PM'ing you brah.
    Be good, be great, be grateful.