Registered User nas_is_illmatic's Avatar
    nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000) nas_is_illmatic is a name known to all. (+5000)

Help With Getting Enough Fats on Keto

Hi Everyone,

I've been meal planning for keto for the new year. I've been using keto to cut for a while, and it works great. I find it much easier to not eat on the diet since fats fill me up so much more and I prefer the food over starches.

I'm trying to bulk but am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to add fat to my diet. So far, the protein and keeping carbs low part is easy, but I'm not sure how to add fat. My typical diet is:

Breakfast Smoothie:
    1 serving walnuts
    1 cup cold brew
    170g greek yogurt
    1 tsp cacao powder
    1 scoop of whey protein

Lunch:
    6 oz beef or chicken thighs
    Full fat dressing/sauce
    50g broccoli or green beans

Snack:
    Pre-marinaded chicken breast (lowers cooking requirements)
    Quest bar

Dinner smoothie:
    40g blueberries
    75g kale
    1 scoop plant protein powder
    1 serving raw almonds
    0.5 serving chia seeds
    Almond milk

Aside from cooking butter/olive oil, what can I do to add fats? I'm meeting my NC and P goal without issue (projected at ~40 and 157 according to MFP), but am way under (over 50g!) on my fats. Any idea how to make my smoothies more fattening?

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have a piece of salmon instead of the chicken breast.

Eat a whole avocado everyday.

Some eggs at breakfast could also work.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

nutrobalance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not so keen on having to many eggs because of the high cholesterol level. I usually have no more than 2 eggs per week.

marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) marty6001 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nutrobalance View Post
    I am not so keen on having to many eggs because of the high cholesterol level. I usually have no more than 2 eggs per week.
    Do you already have high cholesterol that you are worried about? If not why worry? Low carb dieting raises your HDL, which in turn lowers your HDL/LDL ratio. Not that it matters or that I am the poster child but i eat at least 2 eggs a day and my total and LDL went down and my HDL went up in a 3 month window after going back on keto and exercising daily.

That said, if you're against it, some other good sources of healthy fats are avacados, avacado oil, macadamia nuts, coconut oil (I sometimes make coconut oil tea), peanuts, and pecans.

Good luck!
    Tomorrow is no place to place your better days.

Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wellington has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    An ideal keto diet should be about a 3:1 ratio of fat to protein.

Even if you eat peanut butter it's still only a 2:1 ratio of fat to protein.

Avocados are excellent on keto but eggs and salmon are still too high in protein so you're going to need some pure fat to get your ratio right. I'm on keto and I've done well if I get a 2:1 ratio on my fat/protein.

You're going to have to have olive oil, full fat cream, full fat creme fraiche, etc in your diet to make the ratios work. You have to limit your protein to smaller pieces of chicken etc or you will have to do a ton of calories to get your ratios in check.