SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Doms And Insomnia

good afternoon people,
    i was looking for some advice... i already suffer from insomnia but i sleep well only if i'm i have not been at the gym, when i do weight lift then i will have bad nights sleep for around 3/4 days with my insomnia getting worse.
    i have noticed a pattern with it and muscle soreness.
    is there anything i can do to reduce doms as i believe if i can achieve that i can achieve controlling the insomnia.
    it has become mentally draining and thought about giving up the gym but really dont want to.
    i could look at possibly dropping weight but then that defeats the purpose of building muscle and progressive overload, so im kind of stuck with ideas

any help appreciated and thank you for your time

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you tried taking Melatonin for sleep?
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JontheAtheist View Post
    Have you tried taking Melatonin for sleep?
    no i haven't, because i don't want to rely on any tablets, the doctors also gave me sleeping tablets but didn't want to take them.
    the only thing i take is supplements and it is protein, creatine and desiccated liver

djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) djdizzydave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    butt sex is a good sedative...
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    - Socrates

-USAF crew. 20 years and counting!
    *1C3
    *2T3
    *3P0
    -Cleveland Browns crew
    -Ohio State buckeyes crew

Originally Posted by djdizzydave View Post
    butt sex is a good sedative...
    take you long to think of that reply?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you are training consistently (each muscle 2+ times a week) you should not get significant DOMS after 3 weeks. What is your routine?

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SiloHD View Post
    no i haven't, because i don't want to rely on any tablets, the doctors also gave me sleeping tablets but didn't want to take them.
    the only thing i take is supplements and it is protein, creatine and desiccated liver
    Melatonin is a hormone in your body that plays a role in sleep. The production and release of melatonin in the brain is connected to time of day, increasing when it's dark and decreasing when it's light. Melatonin production declines with age. (Mayo Clinic)
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you are training consistently (each muscle 2+ times a week) you should not get significant DOMS after 3 weeks. What is your routine?
    thank you for the reply, i have trained consistently for years BUT, over the christmas period i had stopped to test my theory that the gym was making my sleeping worse and over this time i was sleeping normally which was a weird one as all the information i read and was getting from my gp was resistance training actually promotes better sleep... i started again on the 5th of this month, jumping straight in to where i left off weeks prior and the poor sleep quality started that very night.

also about what routine i follow, i won't bore you with a long list of exercises but in simpler terms it looks like - monday - upper, tuesday - lower, wedsnesday - rest, thursday - upper, friday - lower, sat and sun - rest

Originally Posted by NerdyLady View Post
    Melatonin is a hormone in your body that plays a role in sleep. The production and release of melatonin in the brain is connected to time of day, increasing when it's dark and decreasing when it's light. Melatonin production declines with age. (Mayo Clinic)
    i will have a more in depth look at melatonin thank you, as it did only start happening the older i got... in my 20's i used to workout twice per day now in my 30's i'm struggling to work out once per day.
    thank you

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What time of day do you lift? If it's too late that can interfere with sleeping.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    What time of day do you lift? If it's too late that can interfere with sleeping.
    always 11am for 30-45 minutes, take creatine and liver tablets, out the gym by 12pm.
    it's just a case of narrowing down the issue or what i'm doing wrong hence why i posted on here for help because i'm struggling to get to the bottom of it.
    i had stomach issues last year and found it to be helicobacter in october, supposedly it is gone after treatment and only thing that i have had medically.
    My wife reckons my body just isn't cut out for it anymore and i should just quit for better nights sleep but i'm only 31 not 61 and weight lifting is a passion, feel depressed if i miss a day. but finding it hard to carry on knowing it is affecting my sleep which is becoming mentally draining

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I imagine you've already thought of this - but are you warming up before your workout and stretching/massaging/foam rolling after? Won't necessarily get rid of DOMS but should help it a little.

If you've been training consistently for years and consistently have DOMS, it doesn't sound like DOMS to me and may be something with the way you work out.

If you list out your exercises and set/rep/progression scheme it may help figure it out. I'm guessing you might do a ton of volume or something.

Have you seen consistent muscle growth while you've been experiencing this pain all these years?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I imagine you've already thought of this - but are you warming up before your workout and stretching/massaging/foam rolling after? Won't necessarily get rid of DOMS but should help it a little.

If you've been training consistently for years and consistently have DOMS, it doesn't sound like DOMS to me and may be something with the way you work out.

If you list out your exercises and set/rep/progression scheme it may help figure it out. I'm guessing you might do a ton of volume or something.

Have you seen consistent muscle growth while you've been experiencing this pain all these years?
    i don't warm up, just with the time of putting kids into school, gym and work so i try make that time for the gym, only sometimes i will warm down but not with stretches etc more on the treadmill to where i limit this as i'm not a big guy probably 145 pounds.

doms has started since i changed my workout program to a progressive overload type program where i will try to increase the weight every few weeks, i'm sorry i can't give the weight i'm currently on as this is in my gym locker but the workout looks as follows:
    MONDAY
    3x8 Bench Press
    3x8 upright rows
    3x8 Incline bench press
    3x10 tricep pushdown
    2x12 bicep curls

Tuesday
    3x10 Leg Press
    4x8 standing calf raise
    3x8 romanian deadlift
    finish off with some ab work (until failure)

Wedsnesday
    N/A

Thursday
    3x8 Shoulder Press
    3x8 Decline Bench Press
    2X10 Dumbell Fly
    3x10 Bicep Curls
    2x12 Skull Crushers

Friday
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 barbell deadlift
    4x10 seated calf raises
    finished by some ab work (until failure)

Sat/Sun
    N/A

as mentioned i'm only 145 pounds so i took up this program to get bigger while trying to eat more calories in the correct manner(sick of looking at nuts), i wouldn't say i have seen huge gains from the 6 months of doing it but have stuck with it as i know many people don't give a program much time before they switch it up and it see's them hampering their progression, i'm toned and can tell i work out but not any bigger than i was in muscle terms to sum it up.

I would also like to add that i started experiencing upper back pain and the only time this pain would go away is when my upper back cracked, this would happen 4/5 times a day.
    i did see a physio therapist who told me i had poor posture and discussed exercises to fit into the gym work that consisted of stretching moves and also planks.
    Maybe i don't know as much as i thought and have to take some advice and have a totally different workout plan or just stick to the weight i know that wont hamper my sleep and forget about progression and be happy with what i'am rather than wanting to be bigger with muscles rather than small with muscles if that makes sense.

i appreciate your time in replying though, have a good day mate

i don't warm up, just with the time of putting kids into school, gym and work so i try make that time for the gym, only sometimes i will warm down but not with stretches etc more on the treadmill to where i limit this as i'm not a big guy probably 145 pounds.

doms has started since i changed my workout program to a progressive overload type program where i will try to increase the weight every few weeks, i'm sorry i can't give the weight i'm currently on as this is in my gym locker but the workout looks as follows:
    MONDAY
    3x8 Bench Press
    3x8 upright rows
    3x8 Incline bench press
    3x10 tricep pushdown
    2x12 bicep curls

Tuesday
    3x10 Leg Press
    4x8 standing calf raise
    3x8 romanian deadlift
    finish off with some ab work (until failure)

Wedsnesday
    N/A

Thursday
    3x8 Shoulder Press
    3x8 Decline Bench Press
    2X10 Dumbell Fly
    3x10 Bicep Curls
    2x12 Skull Crushers

Friday
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 barbell deadlift
    4x10 seated calf raises
    finished by some ab work (until failure)

Sat/Sun
    N/A

as mentioned i'm only 145 pounds so i took up this program to get bigger while trying to eat more calories in the correct manner(sick of looking at nuts), i wouldn't say i have seen huge gains from the 6 months of doing it but have stuck with it as i know many people don't give a program much time before they switch it up and it see's them hampering their progression, i'm toned and can tell i work out but not any bigger than i was in muscle terms to sum it up.

I would also like to add that i started experiencing upper back pain and the only time this pain would go away is when my upper back cracked, this would happen 4/5 times a day.
    i did see a physio therapist who told me i had poor posture and discussed exercises to fit into the gym work that consisted of stretching moves and also planks.
    Maybe i don't know as much as i thought and have to take some advice and have a totally different workout plan or just stick to the weight i know that wont hamper my sleep and forget about progression and be happy with what i'am rather than wanting to be bigger with muscles rather than small with muscles if that makes sense.

i appreciate your time in replying though, have a good day mate

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    From a DOMS perspective, I don't see anything problematic with your routine... you should do dynamic stretching for muscle groups you'll be working out that day, and static stretching and massage/foam rollers afterwards. Even if you have time constraints you shouldn't leave this out since the DOMS is such a problem for you.

Also make sure your form is on point for all your exercises, that you're well hydrated before/during your workout and in general, and that you're taking in enough protein and all nutrients along with the extra cals.

It's unusual to have constant DOMS that never goes away, and to get DOMS in all your muscles rather than specific ones here and there, so you likely need to change some things up with your overall habits. If you didn't already have insomnia before DOMS it would help, but can't do much about that.

From a DOMS perspective, I don't see anything problematic with your routine... you should do dynamic stretching for muscle groups you'll be working out that day, and static stretching and massage/foam rollers afterwards. Even if you have time constraints you shouldn't leave this out since the DOMS is such a problem for you.

Also make sure your form is on point for all your exercises, that you're well hydrated before/during your workout and in general, and that you're taking in enough protein and all nutrients along with the extra cals.

It's unusual to have constant DOMS that never goes away, and to get DOMS in all your muscles rather than specific ones here and there, so you likely need to change some things up with your overall habits. If you didn't already have insomnia before DOMS it would help, but can't do much about that.
    yeah mate.. insomnia was a problem but hits with more force after a workout, i can control it by just sticking with the same weight everytime but then that would defeat the purpose of the goals im trying to achieve, i drink water during my workout and coconut water throughout the day, all i really drink.
    maybe with me upgrading the weight i'am losing form without knowing it, i think i will start at the beginning and gradually build the weight up again while practising better form.
    the DOMS i get is in specific area's and it is the areas where i seem to upgrade the weight on most which is bench press, only because of that specific exercise you can add more weight that is manageable compared to its counterpart dumbell chest press for example.

but thank you for taking the time in helping

Yeah you might need a total deload for a week or even two if you’ve never taken a break for a long time. Then start out a bit lower.

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NerdyLady View Post
    And to further add to this; you don't have to take a melatonin pill every single night. Maybe once or twice a week.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew