munmun5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

First comp...which category

Hey all,

First time poster long time lurker.

I am planning on competing in August/Sept for my first comp. I will be competing Natty.

Have for the last 18 months been doing Powerlifting (no superstar).

I am currently around 112kg/246lbs and 189cm/6 foot 2. I am getting a Dexa scan on the weekend but would predict my BF % around 20-22%.

Have read Layne's Comp prep book and have a training program I will be following. Based off what I have read/discussed with people and based off a few formulas I think I would come in at somewhere between 88-92kg at comp time. I am looking at 10-11 weeks at maintenance and a 20-week slow cut.

Based on my height am I dreaming thinking of competing in a novice BB comp at that weight and should I focus on a physique comp instead? Im pretty competitive but understand its pretty unlikely I will win. I just don't want to look like a fish out of water.

Love some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Current 1RM's:
    Bench: 140kg/308lbs
    Deadlift: 235kg/518lbs
    Squat: 190kg/418lbs

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most natural bodybuilding shows go off height, not weight. So depending on what organization you compete with and how many sign up determines if there are height classes or if there will be a single Novice class. At your height and weight in a natural organization, you are likely going to be deemed "too big" to compete in physique. This is changing with the addition of classic physique, but your height and weight would be best suited for BB IMO. Again, depending on what organization you compete in, you may be able to crossover and do both classic physique and BB, or classic physique and physique, but won't let you do both physique and BB. I know the NANBF allows for crossovers, but OCB does not. There are many more out there, so best thing is to find a show local to you and your area first. If you think you can compete in physique, go for it. It's ultimately your decision on how you want your first show to go. Good luck

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Any pics you could post?
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Choosing a division.

Originally Posted by munmun5 View Post
    Hey all,

First time poster long time lurker.

I am planning on competing in August/Sept for my first comp. I will be competing Natty.

Have for the last 18 months been doing Powerlifting (no superstar).

I am currently around 112kg/246lbs and 189cm/6 foot 2. I am getting a Dexa scan on the weekend but would predict my BF % around 20-22%.

Have read Layne's Comp prep book and have a training program I will be following. Based off what I have read/discussed with people and based off a few formulas I think I would come in at somewhere between 88-92kg at comp time. I am looking at 10-11 weeks at maintenance and a 20-week slow cut.

Based on my height am I dreaming thinking of competing in a novice BB comp at that weight and should I focus on a physique comp instead? Im pretty competitive but understand its pretty unlikely I will win. I just don't want to look like a fish out of water.

Love some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Current 1RM's:
    Bench: 140kg/308lbs
    Deadlift: 235kg/518lbs
    Squat: 190kg/418lbs
    At 6-2 I think you would be a good fit for physique or classic physique. However, don't forget their are different weight classes too for bodybuilding.I believe the light heavyweight class is 198 pounds which would be roughly 90 kilograms if I estimated correctly in my head. I know in the USA if you compete in the NPC which is an untested federation that is the weight class you would fall under. However, it sounds to me that you have a pretty proportionate body based on your 1RM's. At 246 pounds, my piece of advice would be to work on legs, but you have plenty of time to prep for your contest. Keep training hard and start tracking your food to shed some fat to start off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class