Luchashaqps4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Programming Strongman

I tried to look up programs but basically everything I found was basically a regular power lifting program but with a day for events.

The main reason I got into strongman recently is that I kinda fell out of love with the gym in general, and the event stuff is so damn fun.

So I basically have my regular workout plan, except between my warmup and my "regular" workout I do 2-4 events with enough volume basically until I feel close to too tired to do the rest of my "regular" lifts.

I'm sure this isn't the right way to go about things, I do really like the owner/other trainers at my gym but I don't really want to compete so paying for that sort of help seems a bit silly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Luchashaqps4 View Post
    I tried to look up programs but basically everything I found was basically a regular power lifting program but with a day for events.

The main reason I got into strongman recently is that I kinda fell out of love with the gym in general, and the event stuff is so damn fun.

So I basically have my regular workout plan, except between my warmup and my "regular" workout I do 2-4 events with enough volume basically until I feel close to too tired to do the rest of my "regular" lifts.

I'm sure this isn't the right way to go about things, I do really like the owner/other trainers at my gym but I don't really want to compete so paying for that sort of help seems a bit silly.

Definitely agree, using the strongman implements can be hella fun and great way to keep things fresh (but productive). If I was going to structure this into my training, there's a couple of ideas that come to mind:

Set-up 1: M/W/F/Sa, with M/W/F dedicated to the powerlifts and Saturday being events time; training powerlifts 2 or 3 of those days
    Set-up 2: Utilise a strongman movement or two at the end of each workout

I would recommend checking out Brandon Lilly's 365Strong Cube program, or Cube Method for Strongman. Both of those are well structured programs that would marry the powerlifts and strongman training in an intelligent way.
    --CUBE--
    Raw Lifter, 242
    Next Meet: Depends when COVID-19 chills out...
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2016: 460/330/500
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2015: 410/295/450

littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlebones6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Definitely agree, using the strongman implements can be hella fun and great way to keep things fresh (but productive). If I was going to structure this into my training, there's a couple of ideas that come to mind:

Set-up 1: M/W/F/Sa, with M/W/F dedicated to the powerlifts and Saturday being events time; training powerlifts 2 or 3 of those days
    Set-up 2: Utilise a strongman movement or two at the end of each workout

I would recommend checking out Brandon Lilly's 365Strong Cube program, or Cube Method for Strongman. Both of those are well structured programs that would marry the powerlifts and strongman training in an intelligent way.
    --CUBE--
    Raw Lifter, 242
    Next Meet: Depends when COVID-19 chills out...
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2016: 460/330/500
    RPS Canadian Nationals 2015: 410/295/450

blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey man, I am newer to strongman so my advice is certainly not definitive but I’ll share what I do. Unfortunately my workouts are based on my life situation not necessarily best practice but it’s working well for me.

First, I work 4 on 4 off, long days (I train higher volume lower frequency). Also, my strongman stuff is in my garage and nothing at my commercial gym. It was -48C a few weeks ago, needless to say I don’t train in my garage often in the winter, therefore I’m more of a power lifter/gym lifter in winter then more events in summer. Unfortunately, I also train Highland games in summer so not 100% focused on strongman.

Day one
    Deadlift- currently banded singles (setup fukks up when I try to rep as dumbbells roll around)
    Stiff leg deads, 5+ reps
    Rowing variations
    Some cable pull downs and rows
    Bag over bar throws

Day 4
    Push press, work to several sets of heavy singles (not my 1 rep max though)
    Db shoulder press
    Db incline
    Close grip bench
    Tricep push downs
    Facepulls

Then I go into my 4 days of work. I try to find an evening for grip work and safety bar squats
    Grip is axle bar rows or holds, dead hangs, grip hubs, sometimes crushers, and forearm levers and wrist rollers. Squats are whatever as I’m focusing on DL right now.

In summer i train almost exclusively with implements at home. Farmers walk, log, axle, natural and atlas stones, pull push vehicle, circus dumbbell. I throw and try to match stuff with my workouts (train weight over bar and caber then deadlift and stones) or stone put then OHP with axle, log or DB. Weight for distance then farmers walks (oblique stuff).

Anyways, not sure this is helpful but just another perspective. I certainly have a lot of fun in every training phase as it feels new and you make lots of gains from the start.
    "Grow up Harriet"

blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blindsideflank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Follow strongmen on youtube. Hafthor is pretty simplistic in his training up to a contest and it’s basically what you’re doing. 2 similar events then accessories. Treat them like accessories though (bench is now an accessory, squats might be too) and don’t overtrain.
    Last edited by blindsideflank; 02-14-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    "Grow up Harriet"

DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not sure why you don't just do event stuff every time if that's what you want to do. Why would it be a bad idea? Because some programs on the internet doesn't plan that?
    Go to my log and share something brutal i might wanna try: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177638011&p=1589549301#post1589549301