bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Has anyone's goals changed?

Not talking for the new year but in your training in general? I know most of the folks goals here and was wondering if anyone has a change of heart on why they put themselves through this torture? (cause it is torture when you go balls out in the gym, blood sweat tears)

My goals, unfortunately are still the same, build as much LBM as I possibly can but with age I might just be on a decline and attaining "new" muscle doesn't seem so realistic anymore, however on a good note I know I can get back what I had.

Strength has never been my goal, but I see that is also on the decline as the weights seem so much heavier than before, I used to warm up in the bench with 135 lbs for 15 - 20 reps with ease. Now I find it challenging to warm up to 12 - 15 with 135lbs.

My legs however seem to be steady with strength 135lbs for warm ups of 15 - 20 reps feel the same now as it did in the past, I can easily warm up with 135lbs.

So enough with the rambling, back to the question, has anyone's goals change since last I have been on this site?
    On the list for Bannukah

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes- I don't care about strength nearly as much. More concerned with quality of life and health.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

"Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Yes- I don't care about strength nearly as much. More concerned with quality of life and health.
    Kool, how has that changed with your training? Better eating, more cardio? what changed?
    On the list for Bannukah

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Kool, how has that changed with your training? Better eating, more cardio? what changed?
    I started hitting BJJ 5x a week. That alone forced me to change how I approached the gym. There is NO way I could train like a powerlifter and roll that much.

My eating has slowly evolved too. I don't focus as much on protein and focus more now on micro nutrients. I still lean towards more protein than the average person though. I weigh 210 but look much better at 210 than I have before.
    ☻/
    / \ 

Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

I started hitting BJJ 5x a week. That alone forced me to change how I approached the gym. There is NO way I could train like a powerlifter and roll that much.

My eating has slowly evolved too. I don't focus as much on protein and focus more now on micro nutrients. I still lean towards more protein than the average person though. I weigh 210 but look much better at 210 than I have before.
    Ohh yeah you told me about the BJJ, how are you liking it?
    On the list for Bannukah

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My goals are the same, but looking better is more important to me than strength now. Over the last 6 months i intentionally dropped from 205lbs to about 188lbs. I concentrate more on good form and a little higher reps and think about the muscle group I am working. Not 20 rep sets, but from 8 to 12 reps depending on what bodypart. Legs though, I do a lot of squat sets at 5 reps each. By a lot, I mean about 7 or 8 working sets. Then, I take off the weight over three sets for some reps and endurance. I do not have the genetics you do, Johnny.

Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Misc Blood Drive: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

Ohh yeah you told me about the BJJ, how are you liking it?
    Love it. Looking to compete some time this year. Want to compete at 205 and avoid the ultra heavies
    ☻/
    / \ 

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Been gong to the gym since I got my first gym membership at 11
    1. Goals sports and getting better at them
    2. Get stronger to pass volunteer firefighter physical passed
    3. Compete in figure won moved on
    4. Compete in powerlifting started winning
    5. Compete in bikini
    6. Compete in bikini on season power lifting off and yoga
    Insta is username snails.r.us

Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At one time I had myself tricked into thinking I need to be super strong, which for me would be working towards squatting 315lbs or so. or snatching 100kg, while having outstanding cardio....a CrossFit mind set.

That is fantasy, and probably not even healthy for my brand of genetics/discipline/experience.

I like to think of myself as an amateur athlete, and train that way. Resistance training whatever form it takes is just part of the puzzle. This has not changed in the last couple of years. I want to maintain a lean athletic build 165 to 170lbs. (currently sitting at 180)

Recently I got to watching some MMA matches with one of my sons who is really into it (He starting training BJJ recently and no longer weight trains for the time being) I did some further research in the various combatant's fitness regimens, I found the level of fitness and training methods to be quite inspiring, and probably superior to any other athlete. This could be a future pattern for me......more conditioning based training (as opposed to weight based training..with some conditioning). I made some inquiries with a local boxing club that does a wide range of training, they also train people that are looking at it from more of a fitness direction (who do not want to fight/spar necessarily). I might try it after hockey season ends in April, maybe the next addition to my garage gym could be a heavy bag.
    Strength + Cardio + Proprioception = dominance

MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Strange you posted this as I was thinking about this exact thing this morning.

I started back at the gym about 18 months ago after 10 years off. I'd gotten a bit podgy and out of shape. My initial goal was just to lose fat, but then I quickly got back into lifting and building muscle.

Today I was wondering what my goal now is. My strength and physique has improved quite drastically but I expect there will be a point of diminishing returns. I'd really like to lose my lower belly pouch without becoming wafer thin everywhere else, something that I had to abandon on my initial 9 month cut.

I guess my goal at the moment is to try and build a solid foundation for my next cut. I haven't decided yet whether to do that in March, or whether to continue bulking for another year...

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post

Recently I got to watching some MMA matches with one of my sons who is really into it (He starting training BJJ recently and no longer weight trains for the time being) I did some further research in the various combatant's fitness regimens, I found the level of fitness and training methods to be quite inspiring, and probably superior to any other athlete. This could be a future pattern for me......more conditioning based training (as opposed to weight based training..with some conditioning). I made some inquiries with a local boxing club that does a wide range of training, they also train people that are looking at it from more of a fitness direction (who do not want to fight/spar necessarily). I might try it after hockey season ends in April, maybe the next addition to my garage gym could be a heavy bag.
    Why not join in with your son?
    ☻/
    / \ 

Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cantplankwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why not join in with your son?
    Thats quite possible when he gets home from University in the spring, he has already attempted to "practice" on me, now I am aware.

There is a BJJ club here in town, dont know much about them, son knows them tho.

The Boxing club is next town over.

Not really sure which would be the biggest bang for conditioning and some skills, I only recently discovered that MMA is a confluence of different fighting styles.
    Strength + Cardio + Proprioception = dominance

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Thats quite possible when he gets home from University in the spring, he has already attempted to "practice" on me, now I am aware.

There is a BJJ club here in town, dont know much about them, son knows them tho.

The Boxing club is next town over.

Not really sure which would be the biggest bang for conditioning and some skills, I only recently discovered that MMA is a confluence of different fighting styles.
    I can't speak to the boxing but BJJ is quite a workout. No matter your current cardio condition it won't matter when you roll. You'll need to build it up for sure. (Provided the school actually rolls rounds instead of just drilling). I'd say give it a go if you can!
    ☻/
    / \ 

dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dazlittle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My goals have moved from aesthetics to functional fitness, I'm now doing crossfit but also still throwing some weights around a couple of times a week in the commercial gym.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ajdahlheimer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

So enough with the rambling, back to the question, has anyone's goals change since last I have been on this site?
    My goals have changed a lot over the last 5+ years or so. Mainly due to just getting older and being a sponge for learning anything about training and diet/nutrition. I've lifted consistently w/o any breaks for 25 years, but I can truthfully say I really didn't have any idea what I was doing until the last 5 years. Just lifted heavy and worked hard.

I used to chase numbers/maxes on lifts, but quit that years ago. If I really get the urge to chase a rep max amount now--I will at least pick a relatively obscure lift I have little experience with to train for it on (for example I did a 300 pound reverse-grip bench a couple years ago).

These days I am still working out 6 days a week, incorporating more total body stuff for a more balanced physique look. Also like walking around 20+ pounds lighter than back in my early 30's. Had my physical last August and everything was the best it has ever been (BP, blood work, etc.). Been skipping-rope the last few years for my cardio just as a change of pace. Along with a couple sets of burpees at night before I shower. And I do the one 3.5 mile run per week just so I can still tell people I CAN. Lung capacity is really good at the moment.

I also have a son who turns 16 this year, who is a football player/wrestler/track and field thrower. He definitely already has that "I need to workout" itch that I have, so have enjoyed helping him train and eat right. He benched 215 once at the end of the football season last Fall. I told him in 9th grade I did 115 twice (and I was a year older than him too)! So not only does he have better genetics than me, but he will have the advantage of knowing all the stuff I didn't learn until my 30's. Kid will be a monster as an adult.

-AJ
    Epic Beard Man crew

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164109201&page=61

TimKridel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Today I was wondering what my goal now is. My strength and physique has improved quite drastically but I expect there will be a point of diminishing returns. I'd really like to lose my lower belly pouch without becoming wafer thin everywhere else
    Same here. I'd also like to get my BF% back down to about 17%, where it was about one year into working out. In the three-plus years since then, I've packed on a lot of muscle, but also some fat. Now I'm trying to walk the fine line of dropping BF without sacrificing too much strength in the process.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh ya, for sure. I still do strength sport stuff but I am much more about health and overall fitness. My "goal" I guess is to be a guy that can do just about anything. If someone says "Let's do a 5K trail race" one weekend and then another friend says "There's a Strongman contest next week" ...I want to be able to do both. For example I am hoping to do a XC ski race February 1 and then an Olympic lifting meet April 11. The side effect is that my appearance is really starting to change.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Absolutely. I'm learning Olympic weightlifting. It's fascinating to me and gets my juices flowing again. Powerlifting just got really stale.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) icetrauma has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I can't speak to the boxing but BJJ is quite a workout. No matter your current cardio condition it won't matter when you roll. You'll need to build it up for sure. (Provided the school actually rolls rounds instead of just drilling). I'd say give it a go if you can!
    This is so true about BJJ, when I rolled I was in decent shape, cardio wise but not BJJ wise. Also, don't be fooled by the guy's who look like they couldn't run 100 yards in BJJ. They have stamina and conditioning for hours. Especially if they're purple belts or higher.

Trying to switch goals from not worrying about strength and body weight but the damn head games are crazy.
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Crew

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them
    Iron fist to claim it all

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I made a large shift about 4 years ago to just enjoy 'being in shape'. I also wanted to not obsess about my eating as I had pretty much done for the past 6 years. This past year, I have found where that spot can be for me.

Part of me had no choice. A car accident left me with a spinal fracture and 3 disk injuries. I had to find new ways to train. This has been bittersweet.

While I can say I am probably in the best shape of my life and look better than I ever have, I just dont enjoy my training as much. A person never gets to the point where I am at by being satisfied with just 'getting by'. The constant drive to improve and beat yourself from yesterday is something I have had a hard time shaking. The choice was partially taken from me. I have had to make the hard realization that I can only do the best I can do. While my strength is still all there, I know I can hurt myself pretty bad if I try to actually apply it. I am closing in on 50 and for the first time ever, I am no longer 'fearless' in my approach.

I have not totally thrown the towel in.....but I am just taking things one day at a time.

I have been known to say things that piss people off....but I have learned a few truths (or at least as they apply to me).

1)Being strong and big if those are your only goals, (staying 15-18%bf) is pretty easy. Lift hard, and make eating your full time job. Your lifestyle is not really required to conform other than showing up to the gym 3-4 days a week.

2)Keeping one's size and staying sub 10% lean and fit year round, takes complete dedication and transformation of your entire lifestyle. The word 'harder' may not be appropriate, but dedication certainly fits. It affects pretty much every day. Finding the way to balance this is challenging and rewarding, BUT.....it is not as much 'fun' as the above "Life" overall is better this, but the gym portion is not as enjoyable. (for me)
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    545 Squat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qZZLnePFiI
    225 x 29 bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe68-LgD0jM

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Still lifting heavy here but higher reps to save the joints and not currently flat BBBP'ing. Doing a LOT more stretching, I can't believe how great everything feels when I rigorously stretch a couple times a day.
    Bro with mattbro95

***Dirty South Crew***

Post Workout Commando Crew

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not mine -- I still have to reach the first version of them!
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.