Registered User MatthewSchenker's Avatar
    MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MatthewSchenker has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question Bicep Recovery After Wrist Fracture

Greetings Everyone,

I'm typing this on week 4 (out of 6) of coming back from a broken left wrist. The cast comes off in 2 weeks. Throughout recovery, I continued doing legs/abs, and did intense unilateral training on the uninjured side. It's gone well. I've even learned some amazing things about what I now call "true unilateral" work, but we can save that for another discussion!

I'm consulting closely with my orthopedist on the medical part, and will work with a PT on wrist recovery. But I'm curious to hear from experienced weight trainers about getting the recovering biceps back up to speed. Of course, I have not been able to exercise the biceps much with a broken wrist!

What I'm curious about is how best to help my left biceps catch up once I get back to bilateral work again. I've heard various ideas:
    - Do a unilateral failure set on the recovering arm with light weights or a light band
    - Do an extra unilateral set of my normal dumbell curls
    - Just get back to my regular program and the recovered arm will catch up naturally

Any opinions?

Thanks everyone!

Matt

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think option three is best. But obviously take things slow so you don't aggravate anything.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MatthewSchenker View Post
    Greetings Everyone,

I'm typing this on week 4 (out of 6) of coming back from a broken left wrist. The cast comes off in 2 weeks. Throughout recovery, I continued doing legs/abs, and did intense unilateral training on the uninjured side. It's gone well. I've even learned some amazing things about what I now call "true unilateral" work, but we can save that for another discussion!

I'm consulting closely with my orthopedist on the medical part, and will work with a PT on wrist recovery. But I'm curious to hear from experienced weight trainers about getting the recovering biceps back up to speed. Of course, I have not been able to exercise the biceps much with a broken wrist!

What I'm curious about is how best to help my left biceps catch up once I get back to bilateral work again. I've heard various ideas:
    - Do a unilateral failure set on the recovering arm with light weights or a light band
    - Do an extra unilateral set of my normal dumbell curls
    - Just get back to my regular program and the recovered arm will catch up naturally

Any opinions?

Thanks everyone!

Matt
    When I broke my wrist I noticed muscle imbalances and a lot of tension in that arm that I needed to work on. I also had surgery though because the bone was displaced...had a plate and nine pins put in.

I wound up working with my occupational therapist more to identify what I needed to do to get my hand and arm strength back.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt