xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs down Lifting after a lumbar sprain

Hi guys,

First post here on the "Over Age 35" forum, I was mostly on the equipment forum for the last few years.

Last December during a badly executed deadlift (back rounded on 3rd out of 4 reps at 225 lbs). As a result, I sprained my back (lumbar sprain around S1-L5 for those that are interested). I went to see the doctor and had a X-ray of my back done. Nothing broken, cracked or displaced. The nerves going through my butt to my legs were pinched though and I was under pain an restraint of movements for more than a week. A couple of days later I finally had a appointment to see a Physiotherapist who gave me a few stretching exercises to do. I have a second appointment coming soon (delayed because of the Holidays vacations).

This is the fist time I got hurt training and I wanted to know if anybody else had a similar experience? I'm curious to know how the recuperation period went and how it affected your lifting on the long run.

Of course, I:
    - will not lift until I am cleared by the Physiotherapist
    - take things slowly and strengthen my back before attempting any deadlifting again
    - consult a strength coach to correct my deadlift technique
    - purchase a belt to protect my back

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by xdoomhammerx; 01-06-2020 at 08:47 AM.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I injured my back years ago lifting a heavy garden slab (twisted whilst lifting). It hurt for months and I assumed it would get better and it never did. Even years later it would hurt lifting my kids into the car or driving long distances.

When I started lifting again I injured it again doing barbell rows - it hurt as much as the first time I injured it and again it was difficult to get out of bed, get into the car, etc. This time I went to a physio. They didn't do any scans but gave me stretches to do which helped a lot. What she did say is that I should continue lifting. Also, she said you should not deadlift with an overly exaggerated straight back, which kind of surprised me.

To begin with I never believed it would get better as it had been bad for over 4 years.

Anyway I soldiered on but I stopped deadlifts, I swapped barbell rows for standing dumbbell rows with one arm support, and I swapped back squats for front squats which put less pressure on my lower back. It's been about 12 months now and I would say my back is 98% better now - I still get the odd twinge now and again but nothing that really worries me too much. I think keeping moving and strengthening my core has all helped.

Of course our injuries could be different, but that's my experience.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My quick piece of advise to the both of you. Pick up a copy of The Gift of Injury by Brian Carroll and Dr. Stuart McGill.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Back injuries can put most training on hold until you recover and that can be different from person to person.
    If you attempt the deadlift again have your technique reviewed by a qualified trainer or coach first to make sure your good.
    When doing reps stop each and every rep on the floor, don't do touch and go reps.
    It's harder to control your technique with touch and go reps.
    If your technique begins to waiver stop right there don't let your ego get the best of you.
    Basically be smart.
    The deadlift can be a high risk movement but done with good technique and a wise program it can have many benefits.

xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the input guys. 2nd Phyotherapy appointment coming soon. I hope I'll have good news

matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) matthewkelling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    My quick piece of advise to the both of you. Pick up a copy of The Gift of Injury by Brian Carroll and Dr. Stuart McGill.
    I'm with bamazav on this one... Stu McGill is incredible!

On a side note, some PT's are great and others not so much. Make sure you find a good one and it will do wonders for your back!
    In love with all things health and wellness.

Movement based Physical Therapist, here is what occupies my time and attention:

www.SportProUSA.com

www.MoveGrowThrive.com