Reply
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered User Bert300's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    Bert300 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bert300 is offline

    Is my program any good for mordbidly obese person? PLEASE help me.

    About me: 37 years old, 5'11" , 300lbs.

    I've been unhealthy and obese for all my adult life.
    The laste decade it got worse and worse, till the point I'm getting depressed.
    I can't procrastinate any longer, and need to take action NOW.

    Not only I'm looking like ****, I am also not as strong as I used to be. So besides health, strength is important for me.
    I don't have experience with lifting.

    I know the best thing for me would be to join a gym, but that's not an option for me. (not only I'm to embarrased to do so, also I don't live anywhere near a gym).

    So yesterday I bought the following materials:
    * treadmill (capable of carrying my load) / bike
    * powerrack, with pulley attachment, flat bench, barbell, 280lbs weightplates

    So I was looking for a program, but nothing suits my needs. For example stronglifts sounds good, but there are certain exercises I don't feel confortable with. Like the barbell bent over row for example.
    So I only will do exercises I feel comfortable with, not getting injured.
    Furthermore I like simplicity.

    So I was thinking doing the same full body workout every other day. (it doesn't get any simpler than that, right?)

    So every other day:
    - Squats
    - Bench Press
    - Overhead Press
    - Deadlift
    - Lat pulldown
    - Seated Rows
    - Calf raises



    Would this be beneficial?

    I know this is stated all the time, but I really mean it when I say that any advice is GREATLY appreciated!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 48,383
    Rep Power: 1258880
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    SuffolkPunch is offline
    It certainly would be beneficial.

    The thing about making big changes is that it's a mistake to over-plan things. Keep the approach simple. You should be counting calories and choosing wholefoods (meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, beans, wholegrains) as a preference.

    I would advise you not to go into this with preconceptions about what exercises are good or bad until you've given it a proper try. All exercises can cause injury but only if done incorrectly, usually from trying to use too much weight too soon. Focus on form, learn the right technique, start light, leave your ego at the door.

    Don't try to write your own program. Look at "Fierce 5" or "All Pros" in the sticky threads at the top of the forum. Run one of these programs and let it tell you what to do. This way you get the benefit of the knowledge and experience of the program designer and avoid all the usual pitfalls that novices fall into writing their own.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Bert300's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    Bert300 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bert300 is offline
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It certainly would be beneficial.

    The thing about making big changes is that it's a mistake to over-plan things. Keep the approach simple. You should be counting calories and choosing wholefoods (meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, beans, wholegrains) as a preference.
    Yes, for losing the weight, nutrition is most important. After Christmas I started with intermittent fasting. Seems to work so far.

    I would advise you not to go into this with preconceptions about what exercises are good or bad until you've given it a proper try. All exercises can cause injury but only if done incorrectly, usually from trying to use too much weight too soon.
    I understand what you mean, but I have no one to check my form. So I try to do as well as possible by wathing you tube tutorials. No matter how i try, barbell rows feel funny (not in a good way), that why I decided not to do barbell rows.


    Look at "Fierce 5" or "All Pros" in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.
    OK, I will look into it.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,380
    Rep Power: 26048
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Although originally posted in the over 35 section this is equally valid at any age. https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133

    Hopefully it'll give you some directions to get started.

    I didn't know him myself, but a boss I had in a previous job.. his best friend suddenly decided to get fit (in his late 30s), signed up to a gym and used the running machine fanatically. He died from a heart attack, leaving a wife and 2 young kids.

    Remember the hare and the tortoise fable, the tortoise won the race. Better be a winning tortoise than an injured hare, so get you doctor's clearance to diet and exercise - and start this race at marathon pace not sprint. This is a long term endeavour.T

    Most of all, you need to Enjoy yourself doing it
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Diet restarted, target 69.x Kg, progress poor so far :(
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User DharmaYoung19's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Age: 25
    Posts: 25
    Rep Power: 0
    DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DharmaYoung19 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    DharmaYoung19 is offline
    Scrap barbell rows from my experience training people they aren't good for overweight people.
    The movement requires you to support all the weight from the barbell PLUS your body weight with your low back. For somebody with a lot of belly weight this puts a lot more load on the low back than the upper back because the low back has to support the barbell and their body weight while the upper back muscles only get the barbell weight

    Use your pulley to do Cable lat pull downs, seated cable rows and face pulls instead.

    OR Try Sealed Rows. It takes the tension of your low back, but may be uncomfortable until you drop a couple ibs.
    You use the plates you bought to boost up the height of your flat bench and then but the barbell beneath the bench. Then you lie face down on the bench and pull the barbell up
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Bert300's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    Bert300 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bert300 is offline
    Originally Posted by DharmaYoung19 View Post
    Scrap barbell rows from my experience training people they aren't good for overweight people.
    The movement requires you to support all the weight from the barbell PLUS your body weight with your low back. For somebody with a lot of belly weight this puts a lot more load on the low back than the upper back because the low back has to support the barbell and their body weight while the upper back muscles only get the barbell weight

    Use your pulley to do Cable lat pull downs, seated cable rows and face pulls instead.

    OR Try Sealed Rows. It takes the tension of your low back, but may be uncomfortable until you drop a couple ibs.
    You use the plates you bought to boost up the height of your flat bench and then but the barbell beneath the bench. Then you lie face down on the bench and pull the barbell up
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try that.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Bert300's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    Bert300 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bert300 is offline
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I didn't know him myself, but a boss I had in a previous job.. his best friend suddenly decided to get fit (in his late 30s), signed up to a gym and used the running machine fanatically. He died from a heart attack, leaving a wife and 2 young kids.

    Remember the hare and the tortoise fable, the tortoise won the race. Better be a winning tortoise than an injured hare, so get you doctor's clearance to diet and exercise - and start this race at marathon pace not sprint. This is a long term endeavour.T
    This freaks me out to be honest. I want be running on the treadmill soon, so hopefully I don' t get an heart attack. At the moment I am the tortoise , doing 3 mph (with a 15% incline) on the treadmill.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Nevada, United States
    Posts: 8,623
    Rep Power: 74664
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ElrondHubbard is offline
    Originally Posted by Bert300 View Post
    This freaks me out to be honest. I want be running on the treadmill soon, so hopefully I don' t get an heart attack. At the moment I am the tortoise , doing 3 mph (with a 15% incline) on the treadmill.
    You certainly want to start out walking before you run. Patience is going to be a major ingredient in your success. Don't fall for the hype that promises fast weight loss. Take it slow, push yourself enough to know you're challenged, but not so much that you're miserable.

    You've had a lot of good advice so far. These are good people who want to help, they know how to help, and we know that you CAN get better. So don't be shy about asking for feedback as you continue on your journey.

    And please do take the Old Fart's advice about getting a doctor's checkup first. In your stressed and weakened state, it's particularly important.

    Just remember that this a temporary condition. It can be cured, and you can cure it yourself. We're all here to help.
    Last edited by ElrondHubbard; 01-07-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

    64 and still a newbie.
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User Axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2010
    Age: 33
    Posts: 19
    Rep Power: 0
    Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Axel15810 is offline
    First things first, since your primary goal is to lose weight you have to be aware reaching this goal is going to be about 90% diet, 10% working out. It does not matter what kind of effort you put into working out unless you change your diet. You will not lose weight with working out alone.

    So I highly suggest seeing a dietitian if you can, to help you plan a proper eating plan.

    If that isn't an option, use a calorie calculator. Many of these are available online, just google it. Or actually, I'll do it for you. For a male, 300 pounds, 5'11", you will need to limit yourself to about 2300 calories a day before factoring in activity in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week. So if you work out 4-5 times a week you can probably eat more like 2900 or so and still lose weight. Apps like MyFitnessPal can help you count calories and keep track. Use it, atleast initially until you've got a feel for what you can eat. A basic standard meal plan you should aim for about 1/2 of your plate to be veggies, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein at 3 meals a day. At your calorie needs you can do 3 meals a day at about 1200-1300 calories. Or 2 huge meals, or 4-5 smaller meals. Whatever works for you. Will be different if you go with keto, vegan or other specialty diets. Plan out a diet you can enjoy that works for you within those calorie limits and stick to it. You will not lose weight unless you dramatically change your diet, this is mandatory. Everything you put in your mouth should be planned out beforehand, this is key. I highly recommend you start doing bulk cooking and meal prep. If you have additional questions about what to eat, feel free to ask.

    Also, intermittent fasting can work well (I do it too). But at the end of the day it is just an eating schedule, you still need to count calories.

    Working out will make the process much easier though. More muscle makes your body burn calories more efficiently and being active means you can eat more. As for the routine you proposed, I'd not recommend deadlifts for a beginner. This is one of the most advanced lifting movements, and you can hurt yourself easily if these are done wrong. Do leg curls, lunges or leg press instead. You need to do some core work as well, it's very important for overall health. Do some crunches or situps in your routine.

    As for cardio, at your size, if you do it at all I'd highly recommend sticking to walking on the treadmill for now. I would not advocate running at 300 pounds, you're just asking for an injury. You don't want 300 pounds of force on your ankles and knees. But certainly a 30-45 minute walk daily would help you burn a few hundred extra calories, but I'd certainly prioritize lifting more since you'll burn calories and build muscle simultaneously. Don't buy into the common fallacy that you need to do tons of cardio to lose weight. Losing weight almost entirely comes down to diet. Cardio certainly helps, but generally cardio simply doesn't burn nearly enough calories to outweigh a poor diet. At your size you'll probably burn about 500 calories per hour of brisk walking. Eat 2 pieces of pizza and you cancel out all of that.

    Best of luck, you can do this.
    Last edited by Axel15810; 01-07-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2017
    Location: United States
    Age: 36
    Posts: 106
    Rep Power: 487
    Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lifts4longevity has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lifts4longevity is offline
    There is some awesome advice here for you, and you certainly CAN tackle your health issues and change yourself for the better. Getting the equipment is a great first step, now you have to put it to use religiously! Until you lose some weight (diet!), I agree with the others on walking (even riding a bike) vs. running or jogging. As you lose weight, you'll get a better idea of what you can and can't do. Listen to your body. Swimming would be highly beneficial for you too, but you obviously need to have access to a pool/lake (etc). I would follow your plan of working out every other day, maybe set a timer so you know how long you worked out or how much you did in a set period of time.

    On days off, I would walk for 30 minutes or more a day (2 sessions of 15 min or 3 of 10 min if needed), and you may have to space walking out if your knees/feet/hips hurt. I'm not overweight but I have major knee issues, so I use knee sleeves for both leg training AND even simply walking to avoid knee pain. Do SOMETHING for 30 minutes daily, even on days off, and even if you're hurting! Work around pain and avoid activities that agitate it. Monitoring your heart rate is a good idea too so you know what a safe limit is for yourself, and you'll have something to use as a guide when you get winded. Talk to your doctor about this and check into a heart rate monitoring device (I have one that goes on the tip of your finger like the docs offices have....less than $15 off Amazon).

    Most of all, take it slow. It took decades for you to get into the shape you're in now...... in comparison, you can make very noticeable changes in as little as 6-12 months if you keep at it. Taking pics, measurements with a tape measure, and recording body weight once a month can help you see your actual progress overall. The more you accomplish, the more you'll get into working out and eating better. One day at a time, set small goals. You can do this! Also, check out other members stories, especially those who've been where you are (and are now where you hope to one day get!) as they probably have valuable input that relates to you specifically. Best of luck!

    Andy
    I own my weights, but sometimes they own me

    Another skinny ectomorph on the journey to look like a buff mesomorph

    ***Cancer free since 2006, but always fighting the battle***
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User Bert300's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    Bert300 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bert300 is offline
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

    And please do take the Old Fart's advice about getting a doctor's checkup first. In your stressed and weakened state, it's particularly important.
    I am considering it, but I am little reluctant because of what the doctor might find (pre diabetes and such)


    Originally Posted by Axel15810 View Post
    First things first, since your primary goal is to lose weight you have to be aware reaching this goal is going to be about 90% diet, 10% working out. It does not matter what kind of effort you put into working out unless you change your diet. You will not lose weight with working out alone.

    So I highly suggest seeing a dietitian if you can, to help you plan a proper eating plan.

    If that isn't an option, use a calorie calculator. Many of these are available online, just google it. Or actually, I'll do it for you. For a male, 300 pounds, 5'11", you will need to limit yourself to about 2300 calories a day before factoring in activity in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week. So if you work out 4-5 times a week you can probably eat more like 2900 or so and still lose weight. Apps like MyFitnessPal can help you count calories and keep track. Use it, atleast initially until you've got a feel for what you can eat. A basic standard meal plan you should aim for about 1/2 of your plate to be veggies, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein at 3 meals a day. At your calorie needs you can do 3 meals a day at about 1200-1300 calories. Or 2 huge meals, or 4-5 smaller meals. Whatever works for you. Will be different if you go with keto, vegan or other specialty diets. Plan out a diet you can enjoy that works for you within those calorie limits and stick to it. You will not lose weight unless you dramatically change your diet, this is mandatory. Everything you put in your mouth should be planned out beforehand, this is key. I highly recommend you start doing bulk cooking and meal prep. If you have additional questions about what to eat, feel free to ask.

    Also, intermittent fasting can work well (I do it too). But at the end of the day it is just an eating schedule, you still need to count calories.
    I've been experimenting with this over the last few weeks. When I eat 2200KCAL spreaded during the day I keep feeling hungry. What works best for me is eating a small meal around 2pm , circa 400 kcal. And then in the evening one big meal, 1400 kcal.
    So in total 1800 kcal a day. Been doing this for the last few. Seems to work great.
    Is 1800 really to low, or is it ok while doing IF.


    Originally Posted by Axel15810 View Post
    As for the routine you proposed, I'd not recommend deadlifts for a beginner. This is one of the most advanced lifting movements, and you can hurt yourself easily if these are done wrong. Do leg curls, lunges or leg press instead.
    OK. I did some deadlifts, with relatively low weight, and this exercise seemed pretty easy and straight forward to me, but maybe my form is very bad. That I don't know. I'm working out in my home gym. No Legg press/curls here unfortunately.

    Originally Posted by Axel15810 View Post
    You need to do some core work as well, it's very important for overall health. Do some crunches or situps in your routine..
    OK. I did some of those, but it hurts in my lower back. Is this normal?

    Originally Posted by Axel15810 View Post

    As for cardio, at your size, if you do it at all I'd highly recommend sticking to walking on the treadmill for now. I would not advocate running at 300 pounds, you're just asking for an injury. You don't want 300 pounds of force on your ankles and knees. But certainly a 30-45 minute walk daily would help you burn a few hundred extra calories, but I'd certainly prioritize lifting more since you'll burn calories and build muscle simultaneously. Don't buy into the common fallacy that you need to do tons of cardio to lose weight. Losing weight almost entirely comes down to diet. Cardio certainly helps, but generally cardio simply doesn't burn nearly enough calories to outweigh a poor diet. At your size you'll probably burn about 500 calories per hour of brisk walking. Eat 2 pieces of pizza and you cancel out all of that.

    Best of luck, you can do this.
    Thanks!

    Originally Posted by Lifts4longevity View Post
    Taking pics, measurements with a tape measure, and recording body weight once a month can help you see your actual progress overall. The more you accomplish, the more you'll get into working out and eating better. One day at a time, set small goals. You can do this! Also, check out other members stories, especially those who've been where you are (and are now where you hope to one day get!) as they probably have valuable input that relates to you specifically. Best of luck!
    Andy
    Thanks. I was only keeping track of weight, but measurements are also a good indicator. Good advice, I will keep a journal of that.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Weak and foolish OldFartTom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Posts: 4,380
    Rep Power: 26048
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OldFartTom is offline
    Not that I'd make any impressive "after" pic, I never bothered to take a "before" pic and generally I avoid all photos (didn't see the importance of "before"). I regret that!

    Lifts4longevity advice to take pics is very good
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User Hutrapper's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 767
    Rep Power: 6202
    Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hutrapper is offline
    Originally Posted by Axel15810 View Post
    First things first, since your primary goal is to lose weight you have to be aware reaching this goal is going to be about 90% diet, 10% working out. It does not matter what kind of effort you put into working out unless you change your diet. You will not lose weight with working out alone.

    So I highly suggest seeing a dietitian if you can, to help you plan a proper eating plan.

    If that isn't an option, use a calorie calculator. Many of these are available online, just google it. Or actually, I'll do it for you. For a male, 300 pounds, 5'11", you will need to limit yourself to about 2300 calories a day before factoring in activity in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week. So if you work out 4-5 times a week you can probably eat more like 2900 or so and still lose weight. Apps like MyFitnessPal can help you count calories and keep track. Use it, atleast initially until you've got a feel for what you can eat. A basic standard meal plan you should aim for about 1/2 of your plate to be veggies, 1/4 carbs and 1/4 protein at 3 meals a day. At your calorie needs you can do 3 meals a day at about 1200-1300 calories. Or 2 huge meals, or 4-5 smaller meals. Whatever works for you. Will be different if you go with keto, vegan or other specialty diets. Plan out a diet you can enjoy that works for you within those calorie limits and stick to it. You will not lose weight unless you dramatically change your diet, this is mandatory. Everything you put in your mouth should be planned out beforehand, this is key. I highly recommend you start doing bulk cooking and meal prep. If you have additional questions about what to eat, feel free to ask.

    Also, intermittent fasting can work well (I do it too). But at the end of the day it is just an eating schedule, you still need to count calories.

    Working out will make the process much easier though. More muscle makes your body burn calories more efficiently and being active means you can eat more. As for the routine you proposed, I'd not recommend deadlifts for a beginner. This is one of the most advanced lifting movements, and you can hurt yourself easily if these are done wrong. Do leg curls, lunges or leg press instead. You need to do some core work as well, it's very important for overall health. Do some crunches or situps in your routine.

    As for cardio, at your size, if you do it at all I'd highly recommend sticking to walking on the treadmill for now. I would not advocate running at 300 pounds, you're just asking for an injury. You don't want 300 pounds of force on your ankles and knees. But certainly a 30-45 minute walk daily would help you burn a few hundred extra calories, but I'd certainly prioritize lifting more since you'll burn calories and build muscle simultaneously. Don't buy into the common fallacy that you need to do tons of cardio to lose weight. Losing weight almost entirely comes down to diet. Cardio certainly helps, but generally cardio simply doesn't burn nearly enough calories to outweigh a poor diet. At your size you'll probably burn about 500 calories per hour of brisk walking. Eat 2 pieces of pizza and you cancel out all of that.

    Best of luck, you can do this.

    Read this. Then read it again, and again.

    Only thing I disagree with is I am a firm believer in the big movents, and would encourage focus on squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench. You are set up to do these movements.

    First thing first though, find a trainer who is willing to, over a series of a few sessions, teach you how to squat, bench press, deadlift and press. Form, form, form. Research the trainer, because you want them to know what they are doing. Travel if you must.

    And hey man: GOOD FREAKING JOB FOR STARTING!!!

    Second hardest step is out of the way, deciding to make the change. Hardest is still to come: sticking with it. Use this forum for accountability, keep us updated with progress, and take some before pics, even if you don't post them right away. Some day you will be proud to post your before and after, even if you are embarrassed now.

    Look at either fierce 5 novice, or even starting strength. Listen to Mark Rippetoe podcasts, and watch his online videos regarding form. He's a curmudgeon, but it's hard to argue with a lot of what he says, and the principles are bang on.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User Hutrapper's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 767
    Rep Power: 6202
    Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000) Hutrapper is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hutrapper is offline
    And yes, as stated, forget running. Start walking if you like, but build up to it. Use diet to lower weight.

    Once you have knocked off 80-100 lbs you can decide what you like doing. If you like to run, run. If you like to cycle, do that. Make it a part of your lifestyle, and to do what you need to enjoy it. Find out what you like to do that you can use to push yourself and get after it, but don't think it is essential at this step in your journey.

    Drop weight, and focus on getting stronger. At some point you feel like Superman compared to right now.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User J234's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Age: 33
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    J234 is offline
    I agree with other posters given your age and weight (and the fact it's a lifelong problem not recent) you absolutely need a doctor's checkup. That should be done first. I probably wouldn't start anything strenuous until you do this. You can certainly continue walking and cycling at a moderate pace until you do that but I'd avoid anything vigorous until you get checked out by a doctor.

    That said, doing nothing is much much more dangerous statistically for you so congrats on making the decision to do something about it and lose some weight.

    There are 2 things that are absolutely critical for you to do right now.

    First is to workout every single day no matter what. Starting immediately. I don't care what program you do or how intense. You have built yourself a mini gym, you need to make sure you go into that space and workout for at least half an hour (an hour is probably even better) 7 days a week. Do not take a single day off, no matter what happens. There are no breaks or days off for you. If you're too sore, tired, or even if you have some minor injury you can still go hop on the treadmill and walk or go on the bike and go for a very light cycle. It's absolutely critical that you do something every single day to build up the habit early on.

    Second is to get the diet sorted out. I put this second for a reason. If you can consistently workout every day that release of endorphins that comes from exercise should and will motivate you to eat healthier naturally so the motivation for the diet will come. Just gotta find something that works for you here but generally speaking it's great if you stick to whole foods and log what you eat in a calories app like my fitness pal.

    Just moving with resistance will get you great results, I wouldn't worry too much about which program you pick. Like others have stated I would pick an existing program out there and you can remove or substitute any exercises that hurt you(in a bad way). You need to listen to your body to avoid injury. It might be difficult for you to understand that early on though so I would just maybe try and research the pain you are having and try and find out if it's normal or not.

    If you get nothing else right at least be consistent and workout and eat consciously every single day and you will achieve 80% of your desired results.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User Axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2010
    Age: 33
    Posts: 19
    Rep Power: 0
    Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Axel15810 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Axel15810 is offline
    Originally Posted by Bert300 View Post

    I've been experimenting with this over the last few weeks. When I eat 2200KCAL spreaded during the day I keep feeling hungry. What works best for me is eating a small meal around 2pm , circa 400 kcal. And then in the evening one big meal, 1400 kcal.
    So in total 1800 kcal a day. Been doing this for the last few. Seems to work great.
    Is 1800 really to low, or is it ok while doing IF.
    Do whatever schedule works for you as long as you meet your calorie goal. The key is swapping out unfilling, high calorie foods for lower calorie, filling foods. For example, 1 cup of cooked brown rice is about 215 calories but is super filling. 1 large sweet potato is 150 calories and is extremely filling. An 8 ounce piece of Salmon is around 350 calories but is super filling. A whole plate of cooked veggies has almost no calories but can also be filling. Meanwhile a 20 ounce bottle of coke is 240 calories and won't fill you up at all. A donut has 200 calories and won't fill you up at all, it'll probably just make you more hungry. A premium coffee from Starbucks can be upwards of 500 calories and not be filling at all. Stop drinking calories in general, they don't fill you up. Stick to black coffee (if you must put something in it, try Stevia), herbal tea, unsweetened almond milk instead of cow milk, and of course...lots of water. If you cut out sweet tea, sugary/creamed coffees, soda, milkshakes, cow milk, beer, etc. it makes it way easier to meet your calorie goal.

    And again, I cannot recommend the MyFitnessPal app enough. Please give it a shot, it's fantastic.
    Also, lastly, it's extremely important to find a diet that you like and does not make you feel hungry all the time or deprived. If you're miserable you won't stick to it long term. Work in foods you like.

    Originally Posted by Bert300 View Post
    OK. I did some deadlifts, with relatively low weight, and this exercise seemed pretty easy and straight forward to me, but maybe my form is very bad. That I don't know. I'm working out in my home gym. No Legg press/curls here unfortunately.
    That's fine, if you're confident your form is correct. Deadlifts a lot of people advocate, it's just an exercise where form is very important or you can risk injury.

    Originally Posted by Bert300 View Post
    OK. I did some of those, but it hurts in my lower back. Is this normal?
    No. Are you laying on a padded mat or surface and not a hard floor? Perhaps consider a decline bench if you have one. Your form could also be off, hard to say without seeing myself.
    Last edited by Axel15810; 01-13-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User AMG63Pete's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 85
    Rep Power: 989
    AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AMG63Pete is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    AMG63Pete is offline
    Originally Posted by Bert300 View Post
    I am considering it, but I am little reluctant because of what the doctor might find (pre diabetes and such)




    I've been experimenting with this over the last few weeks. When I eat 2200KCAL spreaded during the day I keep feeling hungry. What works best for me is eating a small meal around 2pm , circa 400 kcal. And then in the evening one big meal, 1400 kcal.
    So in total 1800 kcal a day. Been doing this for the last few. Seems to work great.
    Is 1800 really to low, or is it ok while doing IF.




    OK. I did some deadlifts, with relatively low weight, and this exercise seemed pretty easy and straight forward to me, but maybe my form is very bad. That I don't know. I'm working out in my home gym. No Legg press/curls here unfortunately.



    OK. I did some of those, but it hurts in my lower back. Is this normal?


    Thanks!


    Thanks. I was only keeping track of weight, but measurements are also a good indicator. Good advice, I will keep a journal of that.
    Don't be afraid to see a doctor. They will help you navigate your journey and give you a good idea of what you should be doing exercise wise.

    As far as cardio, walking burns a lot of calories. Walking on an incline even more. Progressively overload your cardio. Walk, increase the incline, increase the speed over time. Going too hard too fast can really make your goals even harder to obtain.

    Get on a good nutrition plan. Don't call it a diet. You need to set yourself up for a lifestyle change. Eat things you like in moderation and track what you eat. Cut out the obvious junk. I've helped my father in law lose 85lbs over the span of a year. Its a slow process but at the end of the day he made some lifestyle changes in what he eats and what he ENJOYS eating. He enjoys salads and whole foods. Your tastes will change over time.

    Most importantly, remember to just give yourself time. Consistency is the key to anything worth achieving in life. Don't expect results immediately. Don't expect your rate of weight loss to always remain the same. You might drop 10-20lbs in the first month and then 5 each month after that. Don't stop and give up. You'll have to really make this change. Not just for 2020 or 2021, but from here on out. A lot of good advice is given here.

    But advice is only as good if it is heeded. There isn't anything magical about weight loss. It isn't about will power. It's about recognizing a problem. Taking self responsibility. Fixing the problem. Adhering to the solution.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts